2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends if you ask someone with a brain, or an NRL fan.

Thus far this year

The average AFL match has had an average TV audience of 532K with an implied weekly hours watched of 14.36M
The average NRL match has had an average TV audience of 480K with an implied weekly hours watched of 7.68M

So the AFL by some distance

Ticket Sales for the Easter Thursday match at the Gabba have apparently crept past 30k today... Should give the AFL record up here of 37,224 a good shake

That’s fantastic news.

The only Brisbane game at the Gabba to get 30k since 2010 was Dayne Beams' first game against Collingwood. Fitting it looks like his first game against Brisbane looks likely to be the next one.

It's easy to forget how good the Lions' crowds at the Gabba were during their heyday. Between mid 2003 and mid 2006 they played 37 games at the Gabba and fell below 29k just once. It's now been completely reversed and they've reach 29k just once in their last 94 games.

It would be great for the game if we could start seeing the types of crowds from early in the 2000s.

1554874084390.png

The MCG have increased crowd expectations for this weekend.

56k for Friday night and an oddly specific 43.5k for Saturday afternoon.

If Saturday's crowd estimate is accurate, this would be the largest crowd for an Essendon and Brisbane match since (unsurprisingly) they last played at the MCG in 2009. Since that 2009 match the average Essendon and Brisbane crowd at Docklands has been 35,339 in 6 matches. It is theoretically possible that 43k (if it gets there) will be the highest crowd between Essendon and Brisbane for many generations as it's unlikely there will be many (if any) more MCG matches. I would have thought that this match would have been mid-to-high 30s at Docklands. 43.5k at the MCG seems to be pushing it, but there's no real precedent. There's only been three larger crowds in Melbourne involving Brisbane since 2009.

Last edited:

If Saturday's crowd estimate is accurate, this would be the largest crowd for an Essendon and Brisbane match since (unsurprisingly) they last played at the MCG in 2009. Since that 2009 match the average Essendon and Brisbane crowd at Docklands has been 35,339 in 6 matches. It is theoretically possible that 43k (if it gets there) will be the highest crowd between Essendon and Brisbane for many generations as it's unlikely there will be many (if any) more MCG matches. I would have thought that this match would have been mid-to-high 30s at Docklands. 43.5k at the MCG seems to be pushing it, but there's no real precedent. There's only been three larger crowds in Melbourne involving Brisbane since 2009.

They seem more reasonable

I still think Saturday will draw closer to 50K

Obviously the main reason Brisbane hasn't got higher crowds in Melbourne for the last decade is they have been terrible. This is their best team in over a decade

If it gets to 43,000 it proves to me the reality that the MCG will draw a better crowd than the same fixture at marvel which I think most have always thought. It needs decent weather to draw this.

I actually believe this would draw 38-40,000 at Marvel. Given school holidays and trainline outages this would be a great crowd.

56,000 feels better for the Friday night clash too..

If Saturday's crowd estimate is accurate, this would be the largest crowd for an Essendon and Brisbane match since (unsurprisingly) they last played at the MCG in 2009. Since that 2009 match the average Essendon and Brisbane crowd at Docklands has been 35,339 in 6 matches. It is theoretically possible that 43k (if it gets there) will be the highest crowd between Essendon and Brisbane for many generations as it's unlikely there will be many (if any) more MCG matches. I would have thought that this match would have been mid-to-high 30s at Docklands. 43.5k at the MCG seems to be pushing it, but there's no real precedent.

Good news on both matches if accurate. Still plenty of Lions fans in Melbourne that will start coming back in bigger numbers with the exciting footy that they're playing.

This is the best graph for an overall summary of football ratings I've seen. Well done.

Now dear old Roy Masters wrote a few articles through last season on the AFL/NRL comparative ratings. I wonder if we'll see another appear soon? ... For some reason, I suspect not.

First time i've seen Wookie use the metric 'viewer hours'.

I'll be interested to see if any journos use it now. Will be a test to see how much his figures are used by journos generally!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shocking looking crowd for this game. Know both teams haven’t had the greatest of starts and the money they make from the broadcast deal probably makes up for it but surely this isn’t a good look for the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shocking looking crowd for this game. Know both teams haven’t had the greatest of starts and the money they make from the broadcast deal probably makes up for it but surely this isn’t a good look for the game.

Tends to build up in Sydney but from memory they got a 20kish crowd against the dogs on a Thursday a year or two ago

I think Thursdays are more sensitive to luke
warm form

20k in Sydney being a crap.crowd says a bit about the Swans popularity

Last edited:
Tends to build up in Sydney but from memory they got a 20kish crowd against the dogs on a Thursday a year or two ago

I think Thursdays are more sensitive to like warm form

20k in Sydney being a crap.crowd says a bit about the Swans popularity

Indeed it does, and as much as I love having something to watch on a Thursday night I feel like it’s gotta be fixtured with more thought (ala using public holidays around Australia to their advantage and not just utilising holiday dates in Victoria)

26,600ish

Probably losing about 5 to 10 % of the attendance on thursday nights

The thing us, you'd suspect the value added to the tv rights would far exceed lost gate revenue

Last edited:
26,600ish

Probably losing about 5 to 10 % of the attendance on thursday nights

The thing us, you'd suspect the value added to the tv rights would far exceed lost gate revenue

The Swans are also losing most matches at the SCG and are clearly not as strong as a few years back and cant keep losing matches at the SCG to hold the crowd.

On current form they will be lucky to even make the eight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back