2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thus far this year

The average AFL match has had an average TV audience of 532K with an implied weekly hours watched of 14.36M
The average NRL match has had an average TV audience of 480K with an implied weekly hours watched of 7.68M

So the AFL by some distance
We will beat them round after round, but they've decided they're the only programming in the world that will count by cumulative figures.

I have a sneaky suspicion tomorrow’s attendance may surpass the estimated attendance of 43,500. Despite school holidays, if the weather holds up I know a few Bomber fans going tomorrow that wouldn’t usually go to Ethihad.

Essendon drew over 44,000 to Ethihad against St Kilda two weeks ago in a late Saturday timeslot. Despite its mediocre performances this year so far, I have a feeling the Bomber fans will be out in force tomorrow. It could be anywhere between 40,000 - 47,000 really.

8th highest Bulldogs crowd of all time.

Only the Richmond game has not been a terrific crowd so far for the Pies.
Exactly, it was a woeful turnout by pie fans that night, seen bigger Swans and Adel crowds at our home games, ess will go past you guys also, pies 3rd biggest all things being equal.. On tonight, passable considering beautiful Friday night, looked to be minimum 15k doggies fans so nothing special re pie fans

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Exactly, it was a woeful turnout by pie fans that night, seen bigger Swans and Adel crowds at our home games, ess will go past you guys also, pies 3rd biggest all things being equal.. On tonight, passable considering beautiful Friday night, looked to be minimum 15k doggies fans so nothing special re pie fans

Lol.

Oh goodie! It's boring only getting the overall attendance figures. Thankfully we have Richmond fans generous enough to give us accurate breakdowns by supporter group contributions! They sometimes seem implausibly convenient for the tigers but, hey, you can't argue with the numbers can you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

59,257 well done Pies fans.

Easily 50,000 Collingwood fans. So far for all our home games we have had over 50,000 pies fans to our home games. At the start of the week I predicted 55,000!!

Tomorrow I would expect 45,000 to
The bombers v lions game. Would would think Brisbane will get 5,000 old Fitzroy fans

Were you even at the game. 50,000 Collingwood fans easily. It’s common knowledge that team like north, bulldogs and st.kilda only draw 10,000 to away games......another Richmond fan threatened by that Collingwood are bigger then Richmond

Were you even at the game. 50,000 Collingwood fans easily. It’s common knowledge that team like north, bulldogs and st.kilda only draw 10,000 to away games......another Richmond fan threatened by that Collingwood are bigger then Richmond
Lol yeh im threatened that we have bigger attendances & membership every year... Just telling the facts, no need to get upset, the numbers don't lie...

Lol yeh im threatened that we have bigger attendances & membership every year... Just telling the facts, no need to get upset, the numbers don't lie...

Every year 😂

Let me tell you the years that Collingwood have Been
The biggest drawing club in the competition since 1990 when the afl began
1992 (first club to draw 1 million people during the home and away season)
2010 (afl record of 1,306,604 during home and away season)
2019 after round 4

Now this is not the forum let’s take this over to the bay where I will own you lol

A reasonable crowd for two Victorian teams on a perfect night at the MCG one with a massive membership and supporter base should pull a minimum of 60,000 and more like 70,000.

I suspect that the days of a big walk up group and MCC/AFL members turning up in large numbers have well gone and thats why the crowds at the G are stagnant this year.

Something else to remember is that Melbourne has gained over one million in population over the past ten years and that increase is not being reflected in increased crowds for the AFL.

I also suspect that live TV against the gate has some effect on crowds as well as its much easier and cheaper on a Friday to go home after work and watch the match on TV.

Last edited:
A reasonable crowd for two Victorian teams on a perfect night at the MCG one with a massive membership and supporter base should pull a minimum of 60,000 and more like 70,000.

This just isn’t a reasonable expectation. Especially when you consider it’s school holidays and the Cranbourne/Pakenham/Frankston/Glen Waverley lines all had buses replacing trains tonight. I think everyone’s forgetting just how many people live in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne or just haven’t ever seen platform 4, 6 or 9 at Richmond station after a footy game. 60k tonight and last week are huge numbers all things considered.

Last edited:
Collingwood V Western Bulldogs TV Viewership:

FTA:
Melbourne:
Adelaide: 104,000
Perth: 75,000
Sydney: 22,000
Brisbane: 18,000

Regional: 188,000

Fox Footy: 239,000

Total: 980,000

This just isn’t a reasonable expectation. Especially when you consider it’s school holidays and the Cranbourne/Pakenham/Frankston/Glen Waverley lines all had buses replacing trains tonight. I think everyone’s forgetting just how many people live in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne or just haven’t ever seen platform 4, 6 or 9 at Richmond station after a footy game. 60k tonight and last week are huge numbers all things considered.

You can make as many excuses as you like the Melbourne crowds are flat lining esp Collingwood and have been doing so for a few years.
If it wasnt for the new stadiums in SA and WA the crowds would be going backwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back