List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not an astute GC watcher but I can give you my view....Will is not satisfying the criteria, at the moment, asked for by the Match Committee. However I believe he has the talent to do just that. It's up to him.

Having said that, if he chooses to move on, which will be his decision, then I'm sure your mob will look at him favourably. After all, you lot did pretty well this year bringing in Polec, Hall and Tyson....

REALLY like the look of this bloke Lochlan Dickson. Hope we take him with out first MD pick.

With our second MD pick I am locked on Josh Deluca. My best mate plays for Subiaco with him and I have seen him play a bunch. Hard nut inside/outside midfielder with electric pace that is a very strong communicator on field. Comes from the Subiaco FC mega successful dynasty of non stop winning. Would be great for our NEAFL and would definitely push for senior selection. Still only 23yo averaging 26 touches in the WAFL.

I hope GCS don't get Deluca, Luke Meadows is the player GCS need, better kicking skill and also in Boxhill leadership GROUP, formerly playing half back and inside mid for West Perth in WA.

Jye is ok but GCS should consider taking 22-24 type age group. You don't want Young, Murdoch, GHS, swallow, Thompson, Handley, Habrow/miles all predicted to go downhill / toward the end of their career in 3 years time with Jye and rebuild again.
I can't believe GCS not selecting Callum Wilkie, Marty Hore in last year draft. Exactly what GC need. Both already show more this year than Joyce in their respective team backline.

Last edited:
Hi there Gold Coasters. Pardon my intrusion. I've had a quick look at your board and not immediately apparent where you can ask about particular profiles as you don't appear to have specific player threads. Anyway my query is around Will Brodie. Grew up with, played with, and a good mate of Jy Simpkin, one of the young, up and coming stars (we don't have a lot right now) playing for North. They were both obviously from the same draft but Jy has played a lot more games than Will despite the fact that Will was taken in the top 10 a little later on at 12.

Can some astute Gold Coast watchers give me an idea as to why Brodie appears to have stagnated at the moment. Does he have the talent still? Has he fallen out of favour with the coaching staff? Curious as a North supporter as we'd probably consider bringing the two boys back together if he's not in Gold Coast's future plans. In saying that completely understand if he's just a slow burner. Jy only really started to hit his straps in the last month.

There is a lot of talk about Brodie on our board.
We don't know what the coaching team thinks of him exactly but the below is an assessment of some of his strengths and weaknesses.
Strengths: Getting his hands on the ball at stoppages and clearance work, tackling
Weaknesses: Kicking efficiency, pace, defensive running, lack of versatility

There are a number of similar players in our midfield
Miller, Swallow, Miles all ahead of Brodie at the moment

Bowes, Fiorini, Macpherson, Powell, Ainsworth, Martin are all more versatile and can play in other positions.

I'm sure he will get games when he can address what the coaching staff asks of him.

I hope GCS don't get Deluca, Luke Meadows is the player GCS need, better kicking skill and also in Boxhill leadership GROUP, formerly playing half back and inside mid for West Perth in WA.

Meadows is a good bloke and a nice kick but he isn't AFL quality IMO.

I'm not an astute GC watcher but I can give you my view....Will is not satisfying the criteria, at the moment, asked for by the Match Committee. However I believe he has the talent to do just that. It's up to him.

Having said that, if he chooses to move on, which will be his decision, then I'm sure your mob will look at him favourably. After all, you lot did pretty well this year bringing in Polec, Hall and Tyson....
Thanks Choppers for the feedback and yes I did slightly detect your subtle sarcasm around mature age signings over the summer. Totally justified.
Polec is going to be a good player for us. The others not so much. Hopefully our coach is gone soon and this recruiting policy a thing of the past.

Thanks Choppers for the feedback and yes I did slightly detect your subtle sarcasm around mature age signings over the summer. Totally justified.
Polec is going to be a good player for us. The others not so much. Hopefully our coach is gone soon and this recruiting policy a thing of the past.
Tyson reminds me a little of Wil's journey so far. High end draft pick who can win his own ball inside. The knock on both are leg speed, disposal and ability to play a variety of roles. Melbourne tried Dom on a wing in 2018 and he isn't really that player. It's interesting though as I think from memory we made a play for Tyson in the off season and you guys won out.

Suns pass on second mid-season pick

Gold Coast’s decision not to spend an extra $70,000 on a second mid-season draft pick shows how thin the AFL’s new baby will be next Monday.
The Suns could have the second pick in the draft — if they lose and the Roos beat the Bulldogs — and are seen to have strong interest in Coburg best-and-fairest winner Lochie Dickson, a 190cm midfielder averaging 23 touches this year.
They also have a second pick but won’t use it, believing it is a waste of money given the small chance of that player making the grade

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...MzEvXSSK7oL6bAb-9-JHncN1tvWrtkPQRsji-N5tyiIn4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Yeah makes sense. We are already paying Thompson and Wigg while they are out and it will cost 140k on top of that to replace them both.

Doesn’t really seem worth it to pay the 15th?? best state league player running around 70 grand for 12 weeks when he probably won’t make all that much impact. Maybe if we had a huge hole to fill and we’re pushing the top8/4 it would be different.

I don't think is a fair call, but without money you got nothing to call.

Young Guns has a point. We are better having a look at more people in our academy in our NEAFL team instead of paying potentially 70k for the 15th best state league player out there.

All for using pick 2/3 in the mid-season draft though to pick up a good state league player and have a proper look at them.

Brodie is a relic from the previous regime. If he heads off at the end of the year, some good salary cap space.

If you want to learn about drafting players, Richmond is the team, Sydney stack Spp, Liam baker rookie pick. As for academy players only Thomas played regular AFL this year, blakey get dropped too.

If you want to learn about drafting players, Richmond is the team, Sydney stack Spp, Liam baker rookie pick. As for academy players only Thomas played regular AFL this year, blakey get dropped too.
These players will still be there at the end of the season. Just because they don't get picked up now, doesn't mean they are lost forever.

You don't want to pick up someone just for the sake of it, you want to find someone who you think will make some contribution just not a warm body to run around in the 2's for 12 weeks and then let go.

We have had a few good rookie picks come through, Collins looks like he will be a staple, Corbett and Burgess have shown value at times. In previous years, Saad and Hall also came through rookie selections.

Yep they're the Club to follow....their drafting over the years is right up there.......2 GF's in 35yrs for 1 Flag...(sarcasm intended)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back