Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well evidently Richo has seen it as well, as the preseason before last he was continually pumping Blake up, and went as far as to say that he was going to be "one of the most improved mids in the game", that upcoming season, yet he only kept him in the midfield for one week (where he had his 3rd game of 30 disposals and a goal in his last 5 games- the only 3 games in that batch where he got significant midfield minutes), despite the fact that he got the 2nd most coaches votes for the game (evidence that Richo thought very highly of said game), and a Brownlow vote and has been played mainly forward for the vast majority of the time since.

That's what boggles my mind the most. The fact that it's blindingly obvious that he plays by far his best footy around the midfield (imo wing) and that Richo also saw very significant potential in him there, yet he hardly plays him there, despite the fact it's an area where we really need to find one or two who can really step up.
At the risk of sounding like another poster, the question is who does he replace as a full time mid?

Means you have to play another mid out of position and then we have the problem that most of our mids can only play one position.

From my perspective he's not up to it.

He's our next Kosi.

If we get a decent return then trade him.

Last edited:
It drives me nuts, honestly.

We heard that Gears gave Richo pretty strong feedback in pre-season along the lines of "stop looking at what players can't do and focus on what they can."

To me, no one epitomises Geary's feedback more than Acres.

I'm with you now as well: unless he doesn't play across the midfield, don't play him at all. You're just setting him up for failure.
I dont see the relevance TBH. Has nothing to do with feedback.

Reality is none of us know.

I just don't understand that when it suits, it's Richo decision.

Just recently, it was mentioned that Richo was ready to drop Kent, but Ratts backed him in and wanted him there as part of his role as forward coach. So Richo backed him.

So please tell me why, if the midfield coach wanted Acres, just as Ratts wanted Kent, would we not have the same situation?

Are we saying that our mids coach is useless?

It doesn't add up.

Maybe, just maybe it's the player.

After the Adelaide game, the club posted a video on facebook about Brown leaving his man and running back to make an effective spoil on a loose forward.

There was another player nearby and it was Acres. He made no attempt to run back to the loose man and left it to Brown.

Once Brown got the ball, Blake gave one of the most insipid attempts at a sheppard you'll ever see.

If he ever decides to get out of third gear, he may become the player we is capable of IMO.

Just recently, it was mentioned that Richo was ready to drop Kent, but Ratts backed him in and wanted him there as part of his role as forward coach. So Richo backed him.

So please tell me why, if the midfield coach wanted Acres, just as Ratts wanted Kent, would we not have the same situation?

It doesn't add up.

After the Adelaide game, the club posted a video on facebook about Brown leaving his man and running back to make an effective spoil on a loose forward.

There was another player nearby and it was Acres. He made no attempt to run back to the loose man and left it to Brown.

Once Brown got the ball, Blake gave one of the most insipid attempts at a sheppard you'll ever see.

If he ever decides to get out of third gear, he may become the player we is capable of IMO.
Uhh just watched that clip and what you have said is pure fiction.
Acres is out of shot from the start of the clip but is clearly leading his opponent (I think it was Kelly?) towards the loose man but can't get there in time. Luckily Brown does. Acres then blocks Betts effectively while positioning himself to be ready for the offload if Brown needs it.

Wasn't there another clip where Acres ran back with the flight of the ball and took a courageous goal saving mark? Or the one against Melbourne when the balls just out of the demon's 50 and in a sea of players he lays 2 consecutive important tackles?

I guess we see what we wanna see.

Uhh just watched that clip and what you have said is pure fiction.
Acres is out of shot from the start of the clip but is clearly leading his opponent (I think it was Kelly?) towards the loose man but can't get there in time. Luckily Brown does. Acres then blocks Betts effectively while positioning himself to be ready for the offload if Brown needs it.

Wasn't there another clip where Acres ran back with the flight of the ball and took a courageous goal saving mark? Or the one against Melbourne when the balls just out of the demon's 50 and in a sea of players he lays 2 consecutive important tackles?

I guess we see what we wanna see.
I guess we do.

He picks and chooses IMO.

So this, or similar, has been mentioned before.
I’d be interested to know how you know this? Are you saying that after five years in the system he doesn’t understand the game plan?
Somehow I find that very difficult to believe.

Injury aside, as you say 5 years on the system. Should be showing more.

Same rules of criticism apply to him as they do to all players.

It doesn't add up.

To me, it’s pretty simple with Blake having watched him for a few years now.

It’s a clear pattern, he plays his best footy in the middle of the park.

It makes sense, because he has a naturally big tank, is good in tight due to his basketball background, and is very good at linking up play particularly by hand. He is also one of those players that easily racks up possessions when he’s played in the midfield. Finally, he has an element of surprise to his game, he’s a creator.

All of the above is wasted up forward. Besides being a very good set shot, he’s not a natural forward. He doesn’t have explosive pace. His reflexes aren’t a strength and his pressure game, while not bad, isn’t as good as others. Yes he is tall, but he’s actually a player better suited to being in traffic rather than using his height to be a marking player.

Of course we don’t know what’s going on between him and coach. But we have eyes and memories and can make our own mind up about him and why he isn’t playing like he has shown he has done in his career so far.

My gut feel having watched footy and other sports for years is that the type of player Blake is (creative, not defense first) and the type of coach Richo is (defense first) do not tend to mix very well. It’s usually a shame because they are exactly the type of player that, with the right type of coach, blossom.

It’s a shame because, whether you’re a Blake fan or not, you can surely see the point of difference he makes when he is on like he was against Melbourne and the Hawks this year and in his best games in years past floating through the midfield.

We need to see that Blake as often as possible because our team is much better for it.

Last edited:

It makes sense, because he has a naturally big tank, is good in tight due to his basketball background, and is very good at linking up play particularly by hand. He is also one of those players that easily racks up possessions when he’s played in the midfield. Finally, he has an element of surprise to his game, he’s a creator.

All of the above is wasted up forward. Besides being a very good set shot, he’s not a natural forward. He doesn’t have explosive pace. His reflexes aren’t a strength and his pressure game, while not bad, isn’t as good as others. Yes he is tall, but he’s actually a player better suited to being in traffic rather than using his height to be a marking player.

Of course we don’t know what’s going on between him and coach. But we have eyes and memories and can make our own mind up about him and why he isn’t playing like he has shown he has done in his career so far.

My gut feel having watched footy and other sports for years is that the type of player Blake is (creative, not defense first) and the type of coach Richo is (defense first) do not tend to mix very well. It’s usually a shame because they are exactly the type of player that, with the right type of coach, blossom.

It’s a shame because, whether you’re a Blake fan or can surely see the point of difference he makes when he is on like he was against Melbourne and the Hawks this year floating through the midfield. We need to see that Blake as often as possible.
+1

If Acres is such a dynamic player you'd think he'd be able to make a bit more of an impact playing forward.

As for a full time mid - yeah perhaps but the question is - instead of who?

Steele or Ross?

Wing - Billings or Sincs? - maybe Sincs but jeez I thought we looking for more outside speed and run on the wings.

If Acres is such a dynamic player you'd think he'd be able to make a bit more of an impact playing forward.

As for a full time mid - yeah perhaps but the question is - instead of who?

Steele or Ross?

Wing - Billings or Sincs? - maybe Sincs but jeez I thought we looking for more outside speed and run on the wings.
More likely replacing Gresham and spelling Ross in terms of midfield time. While we just play the 2 talls he’s always likely to spend some time forward though.

Over the past two losses discussion about trading Ross, Gresham & now GOAT has taken place.

Once again, job of the list manager & the club is to improve the list, therefore retain the better players.

I personally hope we throw a massive deal at Cogs. With retirements we could probably pay him 2M a year if we really wanted to.

Years 1-2 - 4M
Years 3-4 - 3M
Years 5-6 - 2M

That’s 9M over 6 years & averages out at 1.5M per year. Takes Cogs to 32 years of age & plateaus out to 1M per year toward the end of his career.

Free agent & no picks required. Get it done Gags.

It’s a shame because, whether you’re a Blake fan or not, you can surely see the point of difference he makes when he is on like he was against Melbourne and the Hawks this year and in his best games in years past floating through the midfield.

We need to see that Blake as often as possible because our team is much better for it.

That's what I have said before, Acres is like an abstract expressionist, he just Jackson Pollocks the * out of footy. Richo is like one of those shopping centre artists that does 10 minute palette knife landscapes. Richo resents the guy with the innate talent because it shines a torch on his own inadequacies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mention the Melbourne game.

Where was he during our losses?

No doubt he has the tools, many players do. He may be laconic or smooth, I get that.

Needs to impose himself more IMO.

Needs more Melbourne type games.

But for posters to infer that he is a superstar who is underperforming because he is played out of position is a stretch, to put it mildly.

Acres needs to show his worth this year - he has shown signs of being a good player so let's see after the season is complete.
Then we can make a judgement.
If course we. Same as every other player.

My question is: if he is great as some posters make him out to be, and if Richo on makes selections ti save his job, and if all our improvement is due to Ratts joining us... Then why don't they are fit to play him as a full time mid?

Happy to discuss, but there's far too many contradictions in some people's reasoning.

Some of us are not reacting due to Two losses as implied. If you want to improve then you constantly review all aspects of the list.

That's what I have said before, Acres is like an abstract expressionist, he just Jackson Pollocks the **** out of footy. Richo is like one of those shopping centre artists that does 10 minute palette knife landscapes. Richo resents the guy with the innate talent because it shines a torch on his own inadequacies.
Acres is more your paint by numbers type who is still learning to count... He then asks Richo why the numbers aren't in alphabetical order.

Last edited:
I feel there is a lot of projecting of what people want Acres to be rather than what he actually produces.

It's not in our imaginations that Blacres best games have been when he's played significant midfield minutes... supporters just want to see more of that.

Over the past two losses discussion about trading Ross, Gresham & now GOAT has taken place.

Once again, job of the list manager & the club is to improve the list, therefore retain the better players.

I personally hope we throw a massive deal at Cogs. With retirements we could probably pay him 2M a year if we really wanted to.

Years 1-2 - 4M
Years 3-4 - 3M
Years 5-6 - 2M

That’s 9M over 6 years & averages out at 1.5M per year. Takes Cogs to 32 years of age & plateaus out to 1M per year toward the end of his career.

Free agent & no picks required. Get it done Gags.
If we could pull that off along with tomlinson then with some luck we’re a serious finals side.

Play him to his strengths and he might!
Like his first 8 or so games before injury last year.

My point really was how does someone on a forum know that he "doesn't understand the game plan."

At the risk of sounding like another poster, the question is who does he replace as a full time mid?

Means you have to play another mid out of position and then we have the problem that most of our mids can only play one position.
As I said last night I'd prioritise him over Newnes there, who I think has reached his ceiling, and also Sincs, who I like, but who has also had a lot of opportunities there but isn't setting the world on fire.

He's played 62 games... and only a handful over the past few years have been in succession. He's struggled over the past two weeks when our midfield (that hasn't included Blacres) has been smashed.

By comparison JB is nearing 100 games and has had continuity for the past 3 seasons. Funnily enough, his improvement in those 3 seasons has been obvious.

Some players are just slow burners...

But for posters to infer that he is a superstar who is underperforming because he is played out of position is a stretch, to put it mildly.
Well right here is a big part of the issue I see, as I doubt anyone here thinks he's a "superstar" (if you do, how about we have some names please, rather than just random "posters", or please quote them directly, so they can respond accordingly), so I'd suggest if you genuinely think that's the case, then you're generally misreading what they're saying.

I look forward to these names, so that they have a right of response. Preferably with quotes of where they implied he's a "superstar".

Last edited:
As I said last night I'd prioritise him over Newnes there, who I think has reached his ceiling, and also Sincs, who I like, but who has also had a lot of opportunities there but isn't setting the world on fire.

Newnes is also one of the few who can consistently play well in a range of positions. He is legitimately capable from front to back and anywhere in between. No need to play him on a wing. He would be good in the Lonie role from earlier in the year. Start on a forward flank but run in like wingman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back