Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

If it gets to pick 11/12/13/14 and either Jackson or Robertson are still available I think there's a real chance that we'll trade our 2020 first rounder to get one of them. We lock in an exciting local player 12 months in advance of the 2020 draft, and looks an attractive proposition for rival clubs betting on us to finish bottom 6 next year.

The upgrade they are referring to there is the Long Term Injury list/Inactive List required upgrade for a player listed as a Category B rookie to play AFL with the Dockers. Category A rookies can play anytime now without upgrade.

I haven't seen anything yet to say he will be upgraded to the senior list at the draft and not simply retained on his Category B rookie list position (which he can be for another two years)

What I don’t understand is why we promote anyone before the draft. Live trading makes it more likely that later picks count not less.

So walk into the draft with seven live picks see how it goes. You can promote players at any time as far as I can see so. What’s the rush.

Draft and trade first. Promote players with leftover picks between the draft and season start.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This times hundred.

With all the talk of Taylor being a flight risk and West Coast being dealt out of the draft with no capacity trade back in with anything other than a 2020 second (which you'd have to value at pick 35 to 40 once you future discount it) we might be able to acquire him on the cheap (on the presumption we rate him) between 25 and 35 through live trading.

It would handy contingency against an early Henry bid. We take 7, are forced to match at 8 or 9, then overnight we e.g. trade Norths 26 & 27 for 22 and a 2020 4th. Then we can grab a sliding Taylor and whomever else we rate left on the board.

Incidentally it occurred to me this morning that the Langdon trade is better than it seems at first glance because those early second round picks are worth more than their paper value due to the split draft.

The upgrade they are referring to there is the Long Term Injury list/Inactive List required upgrade for a player listed as a Category B rookie to play AFL with the Dockers. Category A rookies can play anytime now without upgrade.

I haven't seen anything yet to say he will be upgraded to the senior list at the draft and not simply retained on his Category B rookie list position (which he can be for another two years)
He was upgraded to the Senior List, not to a Category A Rookie.
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/footy-centre/team/senior-players

I believe our numbers are the same. Whether Carter (or another player) is 'moved' back to the rookie list/s, or another player is delisted/paid out, as it currently stands, we still have to create at least one more list spot for the ND.

Last edited:
He was upgraded to the Senior List, not to a Category A Rookie.
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/footy-centre/team/senior-players

E.G. Watson played last year and remains on the Cat.A Rookie list.
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/footy-centre/team/rookie-players

I believe our numbers are the same. Whether Carter (or another player) is 'moved' back to the rookie list/s, or another player is delisted/paid out, as it currently stands, we still have to create at least one more list spot for the ND.
Watson didn't play and Giro is supposedly upgraded but appears on your rookie list there.

The upgrade to the senior list in season is a cover for long term injury, when Alex Pearce is removed from the long term injury list (eight week minimum) then Carter is shifted back to the rookie list.

It's not a list management thing in the season, it's a procedure thing.

What I don’t understand is why we promote anyone before the draft. Live trading makes it more likely that later picks count not less.

So walk into the draft with seven live picks see how it goes. You can promote players at any time as far as I can see so. What’s the rush.

Draft and trade first. Promote players with leftover picks between the draft and season start.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We would have to get AFL clarification, but I'd have thought that post list lodgement 2 the only way you could get onto a main list if you're not on one, with an actual main list contract not a rookie one and being 'upgraded', is by being a delisted free agent (for existing players obviously) or by being drafted in the main draft. You can't hold players on the rookie list and then give them a main list contract after with the spaces you have left.

Also it doesn't make sense from a value perspective. If you're tossing up whether a current player or a hypothetical pick 80 should be on the list then what you should be doing is desisting the current player. Either completely if they are already a rookie, or to the rookie list if on the main.

What is the specific list management question?

There is no difference from an in season perspective between a pick #1 and a rookie listed player regarding availability.

If you want more flexibility then you can leave up to two spots vacant on your primary list (senior list) and then pass on one of the up to two extra rookie picks that affords you, then you can look to add to your list via the supplementary provisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson didn't play and Giro is supposedly upgraded but appears on your rookie list there.
Watson didn't play, did he? I must have gotten him confused with Duman. :oldman:
#earlyonsetdementia

Giro will be upgraded as per his contract upgrade.
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-02-08/young-duo-sign-on
"Giro will complete his pre-existing rookie contract for the 2019 season and will be elevated to the senior list for the 2020 and 2021 seasons as a part of his new deal."

It's not my list, it's the FFC Players list.
Next year he will be added to the Senior List, along with Aish and Acres, etc.
And presumably Carter will be moved back to a Rookie list (unless they decide to delist/'move' someone else).
The upgrade to the senior list in season is a cover for long term injury, when Alex Pearce is removed from the long term injury list (eight week minimum) then Carter is shifted back to the rookie list.

It's not a list management thing in the season, it's a procedure thing.

Carter isn't automatically shifted back to the Rookie list; the club decides how they want to manage their list when a LTI player returns, then requests for permission to do so.
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL Rules effective 9 May 2019.pdf
See p.100, Rule 26.5 (b)

Last edited:
Watson didn't play, did he? I must have gotten him confused with Duman. :oldman:

Giro will be upgraded as per his contract upgrade.
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-02-08/young-duo-sign-on
"Giro will complete his pre-existing rookie contract for the 2019 season and will be elevated to the senior list for the 2020 and 2021 seasons as a part of his new deal."

It's not my list, it's the FFC list.

It's the one you've brought to the court to discuss.

Duman was upgraded to the senior list signing a one year extension in 2018.

By my count, we have three available picks.

If We trade picks 10,58,69 for picks 15 and 20.

That gives us picks 7,15,20,22.

So currently with 7,10 and 22 IF Henry isn't bid on before pick 10 we effectively will have three draftees rated in the top 15.

If we had 7,15,20,22 isn't likely that we would have our pick 7, 15 is taken up by Henry and then two players at 20 and 22.

Basically are the two players at 20 and 22 worth a top ten pick to us?

AFL draft combine results 20m sprint top 10 Mitch Georgiades, Sharp, Stephens. Agility Taylor, Rivers, Stephens. Yo-Yo Ruscoe, Sharp.
2km time trial Stephens, Sharp.
Pretty much everything we are looking for is there.
Parents can be cruel. Fancy calling your kids Agility Taylor and Yo-Yo Ruscoe. Bloody hippies!

AFL draft combine results 20m sprint top 10 Mitch Georgiades, Sharp, Stephens. Agility Taylor, Rivers, Stephens. Yo-Yo Ruscoe, Sharp.
2km time trial Stephens, Sharp.
Pretty much everything we are looking for is there.
Stephens, Henry, Sharp?

Logue
Matera
Darcy
Cerra
Conca
Fyfe
Brayshaw
Walters
Hogan
Crowden
Wilson
Hughes (Upgraded)
Mundy
Dixon
Tucker
Blakely
Taberner
Hamling
McCarthy
North
Pearce
Sturt
Schultz
Valente
Meek
Hill
Colyer
Bewley
Cox
Lobb
Ryan
Switkowski
Banfield
Giro (Upgraded)
Duman
Acres
Aish

Is 37.

3 live picks at the draft.

#7, #10 and #22

Do we have confirmation that the upgrades of Hughes and Giro are to the main lists for next year?
It's the one you've brought to the court to discuss.

Duman was upgraded to the senior list signing a one year extension in 2018.

By my count, we have three available picks.

If we only have three picks in the draft, someone should be fired.

So currently with 7,10 and 22 IF Henry isn't bid on before pick 10 we effectively will have three draftees rated in the top 15.

If we had 7,15,20,22 isn't likely that we would have our pick 7, 15 is taken up by Henry and then two players at 20 and 22.

Basically are the two players at 20 and 22 worth a top ten pick to us?
GC have no use for 69. We’d need to get inventive and do something like:
58+69>51 (St Kilda)
10+51 > 15+20
We then delist one more to go with 4 selections:
7, 15, 20, 22

Indeed Henry would require use of either 15 or 20. If 15 is needed for Henry then picks 20 and 22 will likely push one or two spots back to 21/22 and 23/24.

A bid in the top 19 is expected for McGuiness and it is expected GWS will look to trade up to top 5 pick and use later picks to try and get the likely bid match around picks 3-6 for Green.

No WC presence, bumper crop of WA kids, and we have the currency with 2020 picks. Plus the clock is ticking on Fyfe and Walters. We should be taking at least 4 and preferably 5 players in the top 30 (use 2020 1st and 2nd Rounders to get two more picks), and most of them from WA.

Going into this particular draft with just 3 live picks would be a monumental blunder. Signing/promoting Giro is mind boggling. We unfortunately need to delist North if he is out of contract. Rookie him if there is space. Also see if we are somehow able to delist and then rookie (on the same dollars as current contract) someone like Banfield, Crowden, Giro, Schultz, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back