NFL 2019 NFL Draft Prospects Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NFL.com named Rashan Gary one of the most freakish athletes in college football.

David NoeJun 30, 2018, 11:37am CDT
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

The 2016 Michigan recruiting class had some special recruits and one of them was the No. 1 overall rated player in the country, Rashan Gary. The defensive tackle from Paramus Catholic in New Jersey went on ESPN during national signing day and announced to the world he would be playing college ball at Michigan. Gary has become a freakish athlete that is likely entering his last season at Michigan before heading to the NFL Draft.

NFL.com released their 18 for 18’ list of the most freakish athletes in college football. Guess who was very high on that list?

Rashan Gary came in at second with only Houston’s Ed Oliver ahead of him. Below is the explanation of why Gary came in second on the list.

“College football’s junior class is loaded with talent on the defensive line, and Gary sits comfortably among the elite players in the group. In program testing his sophomore year, he was clocked at a jaw-dropping 4.57 seconds in the 40-yard dash at 280-plus pounds. He also broad jumped 9-6 and turned in a 6.70 time in the 3-cone drill. As a pass rusher, he overwhelms offensive linemen with first-step quickness and power, and he also has the lateral speed to chase down screen passes and stretch plays to the perimeter. As if he needed to be any more athletic, he got himself trimmed down to 275 pounds in the spring.”

Last season, Gary had 58 total tackles (33 assists, 25 solo), 11.5 tackles for loss, and 5.5 sacks. We saw more about Rashan in the Amazon series documenting the 2017 season. Below was a piece of the story by our Anthony Broome after he binged watched the whole thing.

“Rashan Gary comes out of this as perhaps the most surprising personality. He seems like a quiet person, but his interactions with his mother, who has the quote of the series in “go get me some quarterback ass today” before a game, and teammates is terrific stuff and he will be a leader in 2018.”

There are several guys on the Michigan defense that are freaks of nature who will likely start and end the season as one of the best units in the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Should be a great year for teams needing DL help, but not so much for those looking for QBs or RBs

Absolutely stacked at the top level for defensive linemen. Some nice DBs too. I really like Quinnen Williams. Not sold on Nick Bosa or Ed Oliver. Gary is an interesting prospect.

Way too early to be ranking guys though. Still a month and a bit before the silly season begins.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
I don't get why you would hurt your own draft stock by sticking around for another year when the QB talent is so low this year. #herbertthepervert
His younger brother has committed to Oregon for next year and he apparently really wants to play with him. Add in that his family is from Eugene and are from a middle class background and you get the main reasons put forward for him staying.

I do agree that its probably not the best decision to make from a business standpoint, but his priorities obviously lie elsewhere

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kyler Murray leaves NFL door open: It’s never bad to have options
Posted by Charean Williams on December 27, 2018, 5:54 PM EST
GettyImages-1060728474-e1545951231946.jpg

Getty Images

Kyler Murray is signed to play baseball with the Oakland Athletics, but the University of Oklahoma submitted the quarterback’s name to the College Advisory Committee for a draft evaluation.

Murray isn’t ruling out anything.

“It’s never bad to have options,” Murray said Thursday, via Alex Scarborough of ESPN, “but right now my main focus is this game.”

Murray’s baseball agent, Scott Boras, repeatedly has said Murray will honor his deal with the Athletics. Murray received a $4.6 million signing bonus to become a center fielder, but a weak quarterback draft class could help Murray decide to give the NFL a go.

Everyone else seems to be considering Murray’s future more than Murray is right now, though.

“Nothing has changed,” Murray said. “I haven’t put any energy into worrying about it or anything like that. All I can do is go out and play on Saturday and let my play speak for itself.”

Murray, who has thrown for 4,053 yards, 40 touchdowns and seven interceptions while rushing for 892 yards and 11 touchdowns, has no doubt he could become a successful NFL quarterback despite his size.

“I’ve always felt I could play in the NFL,” Murray said. “I’m a confident guy. There’s not a lot of short quarterbacks in the league, but I think there’s more guys paving the way for the transition of not really caring about how big you are, how tall you are. I’ve played this game my whole life, and I’ve always felt I could do it.”

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Duke redshirt junior QB Daniel Jones declared for the 2019 Draft.

Jones (6'5/220) had an uneven three seasons with a weak supporting cast, finishing with a 59.5 career completion percentage. There's some concern Jones may need time to develop, but his measurables are at the top of this year's class. Jones draws strong grades for his pocket presence and mechanics after being developed under quarterback guru David Cutcliffe at Duke. Jones is a first-round lock and has potential to be a top-five pick.

Source: Stephen Wiseman on Twitter

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Duke quarterback Daniel Jones enters draft

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 31, 2018, 3:15 PM EST

GettyImages-1057007360.jpg

Getty Images

In a year with no clear-cut top quarterback, there’s an early entry who could end up being the first one taken.
According to Steve Wiseman of the Raleigh News and Observer, Duke quarterback Daniel Jones is leaving school early and declaring for the 2019 NFL Draft.
The 6-foot-5, 220-pound former walk-on led Duke to an 8-5 record, completing 60.5 percent of his passes, with 22 touchdowns and nine interceptions.
He fits the classic profile, and said he was advised by the NFL he’d be a first-round pick.
“I don’t think I would have made this decision if I wouldn’t have been projected to go early,” Jones said.
Being tutored by Duke coach David Cutcliffe (who had some success with some guy named Peyton Manning) won’t hurt his prospects either, though the top of this year’s draft is populated by teams without clear and pressing needs at the position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back