Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton could’ve turned pick 9 into Kemp and Robertson which would’ve been nearly the craziest (at the time of the draft) haul ever from that sort of a pick.

Instead they drafted 1 gun who slid probably 10 picks too far in Kemp but massively reached on the next pick for what looks to be a meh player.

A recovering ACL and SOS's love affair with skinny inside mids continues. It's just seems too risky at this stage where Carlton are at.

Big losers are GWS.

Before trading they held 12 & 18 and a full suite of 2020 picks and had a mortgage on Green. Could have matched Green and still had pick 18 and a full 2020 set of picks.

To get Ash they effectively lost pick 18 and First and second rounder next year so Ash probably cost them minimum 2 x pick 18 and pick 36. He'd want to be good. Think Melbourne knocking them pack for pick 3 and Crows reaming them to get a two pick upgrade ahead of Swans hurt them.

Big losers are GWS.

Before trading they held 12 & 18 and a full suite of 2020 picks and had a mortgage on Green. Could have matched Green and still had pick 18 and a full 2020 set of picks.

To get Ash they effectively lost pick 18 and First and second rounder next year so Ash probably cost them minimum 2 x pick 18 and pick 36. He'd want to be good. Think Melbourne knocking them pack for pick 3 and Crows reaming them to get a two pick upgrade ahead of Swans hurt them.

Next year is very compromised, I'm sure GWS don't care about missing a first and second there. Plus Ash is a very good talent and suits them, can play round 1 next year too, blistering speed something they lack and will allow them to use Williams in the centre a bit more. Ash is better than the bloke they's get in the 30's (after their two firsts would be used for Green)

Good on Carlton for bidding on players.
Beats me why more clubs don't do this.

agree 100%

there was literally zero chance freo weren’t going to match the bid on Henry. We literally did a trade before the night just to ensure we could take him. Why clubs didn’t bid on green before Carlton has got me beat. Also zero chance gws wouldn’t match.

A recovering ACL and SOS's love affair with skinny inside mids continues. It's just seems too risky at this stage where Carlton are at.

Kemp at 17 is a steal no matter what way you spin it. Philp is just a bonus.

If anything we are short 1 or 2 inside mids. I would’ve enjoyed seeing a small forward as well but they’re easier to find later on. What do you think we need at this ‘stage’?

Kemp at 17 is a steal no matter what way you spin it. Philp is just a bonus.

If anything we are short 1 or 2 inside mids. I would’ve enjoyed seeing a small forward as well but they’re easier to find later on. What do you think we need at this ‘stage’?

Think you've done well. You've got the player that could be the best one outside the top 2, and at 17 worth a punt. Philip looks good. You do need a small forward but whether you might hold out for next year who knows. Papley is still a chance next season who knows how that will play out.

When you have Sam Walsh (who will quickly become 85kgs of rock hard muscle) and Patrick Cripps, skinny quick inside mids is exactly what you want, otherwise you end up like Melbourne with too many insiders and not enough speed and versatility. A tagger is handy but you don't need a huge unit for that. Carlton shouldn't be worried that they are skinny, more of a question if the skills. Settefield and Kennedy still have big body forward/mid potential as well.

Richmond's grand final inside mids: Martin (who barely plays 50% on ball), Prestia (a meatball) but then the hardly beefy old man Cotchin, Lambert, Shane Edwards and Marlion Pickett.

The Tigers biggest body mid in Caddy played on the wing.

The theme of this draft was teams trying to catch up to Richmond. I wouldn't worry about the type of player Carlton drafted, more so if he's as good as the one Richmond drafted straight after in Thomson Dow!

So much for the info of so called 'draft experts' here mocking Carlton and SOS 🙂🙂🙂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton reaching for Philp is a head scratcher. Hawks reaching for Day arguably worse. Port reaching for Georgiades.

Everyone for letting Robertson slide, especially Geelong, Carlton and Richmond.

How the fu** do Dow and Philp get taken before Robertson

What is this "reaching" palava ??

If a club rates a particular player then they take him when & where they have the opportunity to do so. Just because the supposed media throng and the keyboard nuffies think the could or should have been picked later has no bearing whatsoever on proceedings.

A few years back, the Crows picked up Doedee at a place in which many onlookers thought was somewhat earlier than expected. Have a look at the guy now, he more than justifies his draft position.

In other words, the people employed by the clubs make these decisions based on hours of research and discussion, how or why they make their decisions will never ever be known but that is the job they are paid for.

Last edited:
Risk is an interesting concept when it comes to Melbourne's picks.

I understand the risk on Jackson is there's a chance he doesn't put it together and become a gun ruck, but if that's the case he also has a very high floor in just becoming a nice steady solid ruck. Sure you can get them for cheap but I guess if worst case scenario is a player like Kreuzer well that's still a lot of decent games.

Pickett - yeah the production is low and who knows how well he adapts to Melbourne and a professional career but assuming all that goes well isn't he at least a steady small forward?

Midfielders and flankers seem the safer choice but if they aren't any good then eventually they find themselves out of teams. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I feel like Melbourne's picks have a high risk of being superstars but if they get a baseline level they'll be spots in sides for them for a long time.

What is this "reaching" palava ??

If a club rates a particular player then they take him when & where they have the opportunity to do so. Just because the supposed media throng and the keyboard nuffies think the could or should have been picked later has no bearing whatsoever on proceedings.

A few years back, the Crows picked up Doedee at a place in which many onlookers thought was somewhat earlier than expected. Have a look at the guy now, he more than justifies his draft position.

In other words, the people employed by the clubs to make these decisions are based on hours of research and discussion, how or why they make their decisions will never ever be known but that is the job they are paid for.
The draft media is a great example of a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

I liked Doedee and if you look at the resume of players taken around him it wasn't a surprise to see him drafted highly.

The shock factor comes when the media - who get decent mail and make pretty good observations for novices - get the value of a certain player only marginally wrong and then the order of the draft contributes to a big slide.

The media might have Robertson 7th-10th, most clubs have him 15th but the clubs who kept picking from 15-21 kept having their 12/13/14 on their board come up.

If there's one thing the media should be better at it's realising just how quickly teams draft boards split in all kinds of directions after the top picks. The quotes on who should've gone pick 3 are really interesting. There's a big split between Young, Jackson and Green, but a few clubs mention Ash as a candidate right at the top. And then clearly the Swans had Stephens ahead of Young and the Crows had McAsey ahead of Young. So just in the top 7 you've got a heap of variables. By the time you get to 10-20 you've got guys all over the place and the combinations of who goes where are almost endless.

Neither Kemp or Philp are particularly skinny. (82 & 80kgs respectively)
I would have loved for the club to have picked up Robertson but can understand the reasoning behind selecting Philp.

Risk is an interesting concept when it comes to Melbourne's picks.

I understand the risk on Jackson is there's a chance he doesn't put it together and become a gun ruck, but if that's the case he also has a very high floor in just becoming a nice steady solid ruck. Sure you can get them for cheap but I guess if worst case scenario is a player like Kreuzer well that's still a lot of decent games.

Pickett - yeah the production is low and who knows how well he adapts to Melbourne and a professional career but assuming all that goes well isn't he at least a steady small forward?

Midfielders and flankers seem the safer choice but if they aren't any good then eventually they find themselves out of teams. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I feel like Melbourne's picks have a high risk of being superstars but if they get a baseline level they'll be spots in sides for them for a long time.
I tend to agree. Especially Pickett, from his interview you can tell he just wants to play footy. Doesn't think too much about his individual success, just wants to get on the field and make things happen for the team. The risk seems very low for him, at worst he'll be a very solid role player.

Not sure WTF Carlton were doing. They traded 22 and 25, for pick 20, to draft a bloke that didn't get selected in the U18's and no one else was in a hurry to take.

Crazy Sossy!

Word is Richmond were big on him. CD had him at 28 and Knightmare had him at 24. They ended up with Dow who is a similar prospect.

Most explosive player in the draft pool and had a massive 2nd half of the year in the TAC Cup.

Also some nice good will with Port who needed the points. We weren’t using that pick anyway.

Next year is very compromised, I'm sure GWS don't care about missing a first and second there. Plus Ash is a very good talent and suits them, can play round 1 next year too, blistering speed something they lack and will allow them to use Williams in the centre a bit more. Ash is better than the bloke they's get in the 30's (after their two firsts would be used for Green)

THIS ⬆️

Consistently the smartest Swans fan by the length of the Flemington straight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back