Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It almost seems to me that Mahony is the most rated of the three, even if he's the one best equipped to get on the park. Definitely a coach favourite either way.
I like him and he will be a very good role player for us, but he has some limits atm that could hold him back from being a top 20-30 player from this draft.

A bit early to tell though. I really rate Perez and the club got rid of Brown for Comben.

Very happy with the Dogs' haul. The 2019 MSD/trade/draft period added 5 best 22 players to our side (Gardner, Bruce, Keath, Weightman, Garcia). Picked up Ryan Gardner in the MSD, who has become a best 22 KPD (although this is largely due to our poor KPD stocks, but still - you can't be unhappy with a best 22 player). After picking up Keath for peanuts and Bruce at a good price, we still had enough picks to secure:

Cody Weightman (15) - best small forward we've got and a vital piece of our forward line now
Louis Butler (53) - one of our best VFL players, looks to have a decent ceiling but is predictably behind a few given he plays hbf/mid/wing
Riley Garcia (62) - love this kid. So tough in the contest despite his size, rarely ever lets a player slip through a tackle. So composed in traffic despite his inexperience, has great pace (one of our quickest players) and playing an important role in our side already. Long term could replace Libba in the midfield as the hardnut ball winner, just much quicker but without the kicking ability of Libba

The 2019 MSD/trade/draft period added 5 best 22 players to our side (Gardner, Bruce, Keath, Weightman, Garcia).

Among opposition clubs, I highly rate the hauls of:
  • Fremantle (all 4 of their draftees look like very good picks)
  • Gold Coast (aside from the obvious in Rowell and Anderson, I was always a huge fan of Sharp and he's getting seriously good already. Took a risk by trading that future Pick 11 for 27, and it's looking to be paying off)
  • Melbourne (all 3 picks already best 22 with huge ceilings)

Hoping Kemp gets a go soon. Excited to see what we have there. Honey from the rookie draft also looks promising.

Melbourne huge winners as it stands.

Hoping Kemp gets a go soon. Excited to see what we have there. Honey from the rookie draft also looks promising.

Melbourne huge winners as it stands.
I've only seen a tiny bit of Honey, but he looked handy from what I saw.
Kemp a classic high risk reward selection.

Was initally quite underwhelmed by Ports draft haul, but I think it's starting to look like a really good draft.
Miles Bergman is has played 20 games this year, and is looking really good on the wing, at half back and even playing a bit of half forward. Big strong build with a great kick and looks totally at home at AFL standard.
Mitch georgiades has 32 goals for the year and looks like he is going to be a great forward for years to come. Should be in the top 3 or 4 for the rising star this year.
Dylan Williams has a lot of potential but no tank - seriously the worst running ability I've seen from a draftee. But in saying that he's got some special talent, kicked 7 goals in the reserves one week and regularly kicks a couple. Certainly worth a punt to see if he can develop the necessary fitness.
And Jackson mead as a father son pick looks like he could make it too. Probably wasn't far off a debut earlier in the year until a freak spleen injury from a bump in the reserves.

Seriously shaping to be a good draft for port.

Was excited at the time even more excited now!
We were made to reach a bit for Henry by sos but still feel he will be a real asset and xfactor moving up and down wing to point post in our fwd half. Only young tank and composure will come.
Serong is awesome big heart, durable great in traffic.
Young if he played the whole year definetly shaken up the rising star standings this year.
Like a pendles when he has the pill time slows down!

I love Melbourne's picks.

Go hard or go home. They are sitting on a finals quality team and Jackson and Pickett could both be dynamite. They could be difference makers.

F**k playing safe. '64 was a long time ago.

This post has aged well from the night of the draft, considering Melbourne had just finished 17th and were copping stick for drafting these 2.

*Heartily pats self on back.

Trading a second rounder to move from 33 to 30 and take Jones was a head scratcher at the time for me given it quite clearly doesn’t make sense as far as pick value goes but Jones looks a very good player.

Trading a second rounder to move from 33 to 30 and take Jones was a head scratcher at the time for me given it quite clearly doesn’t make sense as far as pick value goes but Jones looks a very good player.
Jones & Bryan can both play. I'm hoping to see Bryan play the English/Jackson role, where he supports Draper in the ruck, but spends a lot of time forward.
Snelling in MSD has come on nicely too. It would be nice to see Cahill do similar, but not holding my breathe there.

I was skeptical early, but the late season VFL form of Tom Hird may pay some dividends.

This post has aged well from the night of the draft, considering Melbourne had just finished 17th and were copping stick for drafting these 2.

*Heartily pats self on back.
champagne post that.
Jackson is a gun, but Kosi is the one i love the most. He has a presence that is Cyril-like. He may not rack up 25+ possessions, but he will put teams to the sword with the touches he gets.
My favourite small fwd in the game at the moment.

The comparison between Weightman and Kozzie will be great to see for years to come. Cody with the aerial/ground game and Kozzie with his ridiculous evasiveness and ability to do the freakish.
Kozi is tough as nails too. He hits contests with zero fear and will spill a ball. I remember his junior vision coming out and he lived up to the family name. Wrecking ball player. Love watching him play

Cody.......too soon for me :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd be akin to Greene and Rioli having peaks at the same time. I think I prefer Pickett's style but they're both stars.
Their clubs won't care who is better if they are as good as those 2.

Winners
Freo smashing it out of the park

GCS, not hard with the picks they had.

GWS more high end talent and got a bargain with Green

Losers

Not rapt with Melbourne’s draft so far, Jackson could be great but pick 3 is a big gamble and another big gamble with Pickett @pick 10.

Port’s draft not really impressing me much either.

Biggest losers

People that point out you can’t know who’s won the draft for years and have a bit fun on draft night.
That Jackson. Oh boy, wowiee...

I'd say to draft 3 blokes from one draft who in their 2nd year all become premiership players is GOAT.

Could not find another thread so after Marc McGowen's article I will kick it off with his re-do:

1. Luke Jackson (3)
2. Caleb Serong (8)
3. Kozzy Pickett (12)
4. Noah Anderson (2)
5. Tom Green (10)
6. Mitch Georgiades (18)
7. Trent Rivers (32)
8. Cody Weightman (15)
9. Harry Schoenberg (24)
10. Matt Rowell (1)

This draft class hasn’t had the same time to rack up the accolades as their older peers but they are already making a splash. Jackson and Serong won the past two Rising Star awards and Pickett kicked 40 goals as a small forward in just his second season. Schoenberg might have the lowest profile of this bunch but played every game in 2021 and finished strongly. Rowell slid because of injuries and not being able to match this year the blistering start to his career. He narrowly edged out Will Day, who’s also been promising but impacted by injury.

At this stage it is hard to argue against the 3 Melbourne players being in the top 10 but there is a long way to go in this draft

Serong and Anderson are my tips to be absolute AFL jets.

Jackson has the most untapped potential of them all though imo

Could not find another thread so after Marc McGowen's article I will kick it off with his re-do:

1. Luke Jackson (3)
2. Caleb Serong (8)
3. Kozzy Pickett (12)
4. Noah Anderson (2)
5. Tom Green (10)
6. Mitch Georgiades (18)
7. Trent Rivers (32)
8. Cody Weightman (15)
9. Harry Schoenberg (24)
10. Matt Rowell (1)

This draft class hasn’t had the same time to rack up the accolades as their older peers but they are already making a splash. Jackson and Serong won the past two Rising Star awards and Pickett kicked 40 goals as a small forward in just his second season. Schoenberg might have the lowest profile of this bunch but played every game in 2021 and finished strongly. Rowell slid because of injuries and not being able to match this year the blistering start to his career. He narrowly edged out Will Day, who’s also been promising but impacted by injury.
Harry Jones

I think Rivers is slightly overrated in these things atm.

He’s a good young player who has shown great poise. He’s also playing in the best backline in the league in probably the easiest position in the league.

Weightman has literally broken games open in his few games.

Id have him ahead.

I’d probably have Day, Warner and Sharp ahead too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back