No Oppo Supporters 2019 Trade and FA period - Incoming Targets news discussion - read the rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd happily front end contracts for Sicily/Worpel/Lewis then look to splash some cash later. I actually think we're in a fairly good position (albeit with a lot of question marks) for the core of our list.

Yeah I was a big believer in cap space when I thought we could make a splash in the Free Agency market, but given how the last 24 months have gone down my belief in the benefit of cap space has wavered.

The AFL have gifted them pick 2. Not sure how we ever thought we could get that? It's part of the $GILlions solution package. We must be gluttons for punishment.

Yeah I was a big believer in cap space when I thought we could make a splash in the Free Agency market, but given how the last 24 months have gone down my belief in the benefit of cap space has wavered.

Hard to compete on cap space when the AFL throws ambassadorial payments at a player you are trying to lure.

I also think the FA thing works best when you are near the top of the ladder as success is part of the potential remuneration, so you don;t ahve to be offering the largest salary. Tom Lynch was an absolute steal for the Tigers in this regard.

From my source:

- We made a play for Pick 2 off the suns, but they weren't interested. I wasn't told what we offered to get it done.
- Port came to us late to take Robbie Gray. We baulked at his contract demands. Unsure whether it was length or $$$

I heard the exact same re your 2nd point. Port offered Gray to us late in the trade week but we couldn't/didn't make it happen due to his salary. Sounds like he is on a huge amount there and port were happy to get that off their books.

Nah having some decent cap space especially after front ending some contracts (Sicily, Worps etc) is a great thing. The thing we need to do now as a club is make ourself attractive enough for a free agent to want to come to us. By this I mean push ourselves into the contender category. We’ll have the $$$ for a said free agent so once we start contending then I expect with a little bit of luck / timing for the rest to take care of itself. If we quit going for free agents because we missed out on Lynch and Cogs then we might as well just call ourselves Carlton or North. Sometimes you just have to keep knocking on the door until someone answers and if they still don’t answer you kick the ******* thing down and walk through.

Was told it was actually for pick 1. We were very very very keen on Rowell.

Pretty sure someone here mentioned Rowell has been seen on various occasions in the Hawthorn change rooms the last couple of years. It would be typical Hawthorn tactics to go and get Rowell knowing full well that Anderson wouldn’t be too hard to get soon after.

We stick pretty firmly to our pay scales - which makes the cap space irrelevant in most circumstances as we won’t use the room to pay overs.

The gray/bonar situations were instructive - could have got potential quality players for ‘cheap’ in terms of picks but overs in terms of salary and we passed on the deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We stick pretty firmly to our pay scales - which makes the cap space irrelevant in most circumstances as we won’t use the room to pay overs.

The gray/bonar situations were instructive - could have got potential quality players for ‘cheap’ in terms of picks but overs in terms of salary and we passed on the deals.

This is pretty much what I was getting at.

The futures Bank looks full. The targeting to fulfil intriguing. Hopefully will have something very soon.

This is pretty much what I was getting at.

Yes we have our pay scale that we stick to but I 100% believe that for the right player we’d pay him what our highest paid player is on which atm would be Mitchell. You’d assume he’s on close to or around 900k and it was spoken about here that is what we offered Cogs (thoughts Topiary TylerDurden Abasi).

Now you guys mentioned Gray and Bonar who are terrible examples of players that we’d be willing to spend our salary cap room on. Gray is awesome but is going to 32 in March and from all reports doesn’t get along with Chad. Bonar will be probably be surplus to our needs especially with others that could play his likely role and that was before we got the extra picks to match a bid on Finn.

Also the other thing to remember when judging from afar is that none of us truly know what Wright has in mind come next season with free agency, trades etc. We’ll hear rumours from the media and if where lucky we’ll get bits of info from our ITKs but even then it’s probably one piece to a jigsaw that might not even end up being part of the final puzzle (yes that good old word fluidity).

Anyways all I am saying here is we have a gun list manager and coach that we just have to back in warts and all and live with the mistakes they make from time to time (Vickery) which really there isn’t many.

Why would Port care about two players not getting along at Hawthorn though?

Well obviously they aren’t going to care BUT I’m sure it would be a factor at the club you’re offering him too

The futures Bank looks full. The targeting to fulfil intriguing. Hopefully will have something very soon.
Sorry Topiary I'm intrigued, but I have no idea what this means...

Can someone please help me out here?

Pretty sure someone here mentioned Rowell has been seen on various occasions in the Hawthorn change rooms the last couple of years. It would be typical Hawthorn tactics to go and get Rowell knowing full well that Anderson wouldn’t be too hard to get soon after.
😉

If it’s true that we made a play for 1 or the draft & missed, I’d suggest that this seasons trade period a bit of a disaster.

Cogs was the all in play from the outside looking in. The carpet was pulled from under Clarko here.

Making a play for 1 or 2 & not getting it done after missing Cogs is almost shameful. It would have cost a bomb no doubt but there was a real opportunity to change the list significantly this off season & secure some long term success.

I’ll be happy to see a reasonable season & get back to making finals off the back of the next gen but feel that we have missed a serious opportunity to move forward with the list & expect that if the players that didn’t show up this season go on to have another year the same that the cliff will come very quickly for this playing group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back