List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one keen on Matt Scharenberg?

There were some light whispers of North interest in him this morning. He's a good size (192cm) to play on the second key forward of the opposition while Robbie takes the top dog. He's a fantastic ball user - something our backline sorely lacks currently - and has great footy smarts, just hasn't been able to get a good run with injuries. Three past knee recos is worrying, but we've had success with injury-prone players in the past.

To the best of our knowledge, Collingwood needs to move on some of these fringe players due to their predicted upcoming salary cap issues. Why not make a play at this bloke, who's been pushed out of their best 22 by some good to great players (Crisp, Howe, Moore)? I think pick 45 or 50 would be enough to get the deal done, and it really isn't much to give up if he does flame out with injuries.

We then go into next season with another ready-made defender to boost our stocks in that area, two fresh second round picks (an area of the draft where Rawlings has previously found plenty of success), another offseason of development for all of our great youth and fantastic flexibility for the 2020 offseason as a result of today's trade with Melbourne, whether that be in trades or by taking those top picks to the draft.
There's a few of us on this board that are keen on him.

He does take the safe option with his kicking, but that's ok, as it isn't his role to offer massive rebound. He'll be a lockdown defender for us if he played with us.

We're already stacked with inside players. He's exactly in ahern mould and he can't even get a gig in our midfield.

We’re so stacked with inside players we were one of the worst contested ball and clearance sides in the league this year and our VFL starting midfield was mostly VFL listed players, again, routinely smashed every week.

So reports now Saints will send 10, 58, 2020 2nd rounder and Acres for Hill.

Wow, that's huge overs for an 18 possession winger. I'd love Hill in our side but we would be livid with that deal if it was us. Hill is icing. They don't have the cake yet though. Their midfield is terrible.

I like Acres too. Hard to judge St Kilda players under their old coach but I always liked the look of him, he played well against us a few times too

Last 2 trades with godees i can recall go loss and even. Pedo was better than jizza, preusey and tyson prolly on a par, good to get one back with the pick swap.

Wow, that's huge overs for an 18 possession winger. I'd love Hill in our side but we would be livid with that deal if it was us. Hill is icing. They don't have the cake yet though. Their midfield is terrible.

I like Acres too. Hard to judge St Kilda players under their old coach but I always liked the look of him, he played well against us a few times too

Brad Hill averages over 25 touches and 4 I50’s a game. He’s extremely consistent. You may be thinking of his brother.

He’s one of the best wingers in the game and is “the cake” in modern footy with his gut running in transition.

Saints will get a lot of plaudits from the media once the week is done because they kept them interested in the whole trade window but short of some real turnarounds they have pretty much overpaid across the board, financially and pick wise. The only real value move looks like the Richmond bloke.

And as we saw round one last year, adding so many new players into a team is bad mojo.

I know we didn't get a lot of love last year but I'd rather have Thomas, Polec, Pittard and Hall than their batch this year, especially when we were still able to make good choices with earlier draft picks and basically only lost a VFL ruckman over guys like Steven and Bruce.

We’re so stacked with inside players we were one of the worst contested ball and clearance sides in the league this year.

Yeah I know and that's a bit of a worry.
But when you have a look we're not kicking ziebs cunners or Higgins out the midfield mix.
Anderson Simpkin Davies-uniake Ahern are all more inside than out. Dumont is on the wing now but I'd still classify him as more in. Jacobs is in. So unless we stop feeding these guys games and move past them I don't see why we'd get another one in? What's you're thoughts?

Saints will get a lot of plaudits from the media once the week is done because they kept them interested in the whole trade window but short of some real turnarounds they have pretty much overpaid across the board, financially and pick wise. The only real value move looks like the Richmond bloke.

And as we saw round one last year, adding so many new players into a team is bad mojo.

Bringing a s**t game plan into a team is also bad mojo.

Yeah I know and that's a bit of a worry.
But when you have a look we're not kicking ziebs cunners or Higgins out the midfield mix.
Anderson Simpkin Davies-uniake Ahern are all more inside than out. Dumont is on the wing now but I'd still classify him as more in. Jacobs is in. So unless we stop feeding these guys games and move past them I don't see why we'd get another one in? What's you're thoughts?

Someone like Bonar will still be playing 6 or 7 years after Higgins is retired so looking at it from a current sense is fairly irrelevant.

We just need to get more talented players on the list for as little cost as possible when the opportunity arises.

Make them fit once they are good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone like Bonar will still be playing 6 or 7 years after Higgins is retired so looking at it from a current sense is fairly irrelevant.

We just need to get more talented players on the list for as little cost as possible when the opportunity arises.

Make them fit once they are good enough.

Yeah I get where your coming from.
It's just he comes with a 400k price tag straight up, having not really showed much at reserves level yet.
Happy for us to take risks but I'm just not personally convinced with this guy.... Even tho it's only pick 50 we're talking about.
Would be happy to be wrong. I'd rather we throw pick 50 at a sharenberg type.

Brad Hill averages over 25 touches and 4 I50’s a game. He’s extremely consistent. You may be thinking of his brother.

He’s one of the best wingers in the game and is “the cake” in modern footy with his gut running in transition.
Ok I clearly got the disposal numbers wrong but compare his stats with Polec and tell me they aren't paying huge overs

The 2020 draft isn't weak, it's extremely compromised with NGA/FS/Academy selections everwhere, about 40% of the all stars game was tied to a club, i have 4 of the top 10 as being tied to other clubs at the moment.

The top 5 though is arguably stronger than 2018, it's ******* ridiculous.

So if Melbourne finish bottom 5 and we manage to snag Will Phillips as an example, we have won the ******* lotto.

Early top 10:

1. Elijah Hollands - Vic Country
2. Riley Thilthorpe - South Australia
3. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Vic Country *WB NGA
4. Will Phillips - Vic Metro
5. Braeden Campbell - Sydney Academy *Sydney Academy
6. Denver Granger-Baras - Western Australia
7. Connor Downie - Vic Metro - *Hawthorn NGA
8. Nathan O'Driscoll - Western Australia
9. Luke Edwards - South Australia *Adelaide FS
10. Ollie Henry - Vic Country

I expect us to ream every club that has an academy player.

I know we didn't get a lot of love last year but I'd rather have Thomas, Polec, Pittard and Hall than their batch this year, especially when we were still able to make good choices with earlier draft picks and basically only lost a VFL ruckman over guys like Steven and Bruce.
Both us and Port really struggled after bringing in a heap of new players in trade and FA. With the Saints also losing Steven and Bruce I can't see how they improve either

We’re so stacked with inside players we were one of the worst contested ball and clearance sides in the league this year and our VFL starting midfield was mostly VFL listed players, again, routinely smashed every week.
And Bonar was resting in a forward pocket in the neafl for two years because he doesn’t have a tank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back