List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon calling Bytel before he's kicked a ball for us in any meaningful way and not much form line from the last couple of years, is a big call. I hope we don't go after Ben King, we really need to be getting good top 10 mids from the draft. It smacks of a feel good story over a rational football decision.
I hope someone is in charge of a strategy other than trading in trash B grade mids from other clubs and looking at another tall defender.

Two top 10 picks in all likelihood for Ben King who went at 12 sounds like one of those very St Kilda decisions.
Absolutely.. huge call. I’m happy to back myself on this one. He’ll be identical to Selwood I’m predicting.

What makes u so sure on Bytel's ability and leadership qualities?
Nearly every kid when interviewed at the combine and throughout the year said he was their best leader. Super footy brain, well spoken, let’s his toughness shine on the field and has a little bit of arrogance in a good way. Think of Selwood.. he very similar in many ways.

nope. bloke who did the Alistair Lynch deal did the Buddy deal. commented about how the cap would go up. Buddy's deal gets more expensive the longer it goes. to the point he will be paid the most he has ever been paid in the last year of his contract when we very well could be sitting on the couch watching them play. so he wasn't just forecasting the most recent increase. he was forecasting every increase after.

Port Adelaide were planned on the cap going up. what they got caught out on was the CBA delay. which meant they had to rejig contracts, until it got cleared. then they loaded up again. they saw it coming.

WCE similar boat.

all publicly commented that they had forecast the cap going up.

so this idea that we were hard done by because of some unforeseen event is sad really. if that truly was the line coming out of the club then you can see why the administration would be filthy with the list management. it's just an excuse. a really bad one. it was the job of the list manager to see where the TPP was going. if we got caught out, then that's on us. hopefully that doesn't happen moving forward.
Yeh, gringo was of the same opinion as you in that they foresaw an increase.
But I’ll still dispute the quantum, because no one foresaw the 20% leap in 2017.
Irrelevant now anyway, water under the bridge.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05...mong-five-clubs-interested-in-exdocker-deluca

should have taken him in the draft just gone. hopefully we still get him
Are we going to be sending someone to the long term injury list to be able to go to the draft?

If so, we have two options. Either we take the best 19 year old available, effectively getting a kid that might be rated in the top 30-40 or so in next years draft (makes sense when we don't have a second or third round pick).

Or, we could take the best mature midfielder available and give us am immediate impact. This provably makes even more sense when you consider what we are going through with Steven and Hanners.

Are we going to be sending someone to the long term injury list to be able to go to the draft?

If so, we have two options. Either we take the best 19 year old available, effectively getting a kid that might be rated in the top 30-40 or so in next years draft (makes sense when we don't have a second or third round pick).

Or, we could take the best mature midfielder available and give us am immediate impact. This provably makes even more sense when you consider what we are going through with Steven and Hanners.

Anyone know how 24 year old Meadows is going at Box Hill?
I remember 23 year old Clint Jones coming in from the WAFL at that age and having a good impact , despite the dodgy kicking.

Bytel will be our captain and best midfielder.. that I’m sure of. But filling the void of mids between now and then is the issue. I think we’ll end up getting another couple of B+ mids this year in trades is my feels.
Going the early crow.. but I’m comfortable with my statement
Absolutely.. huge call. I’m happy to back myself on this one. He’ll be identical to Selwood I’m predicting.
Nearly every kid when interviewed at the combine and throughout the year said he was their best leader. Super footy brain, well spoken, let’s his toughness shine on the field and has a little bit of arrogance in a good way. Think of Selwood.. he very similar in many ways.
Nothing like a super early call. I have been living off my "Lenny will be better than Brett Moyle and Cayden Beetham combined" call for a while now (haven't nailed one since), so I have my fingers crossed this one works for you.

One small thing I did notice. Was at the Sandy game last week, sitting in the stands near a group of players (bless my mum for spending Mothers Day at the footy). Was about 6 young players, roughly half AFL regulars. All had AFL experience except one (Bytel). But it was obvious as hell Bytel was the leader of that group. Overheard bits and pieces, and he certainly has a footy brain.

Something to watch here I think. One thing we do know for sure. If the coaches are the same, he will spend the first half of next year playing off the either the HFF or the HBF (or anywhere but on the ball)

MITSUHIRATO - How's Bytels rehab going?

Last edited:
how do we get up the draft order to get one of Rowell or Anderson? (Other than the obvious finish bottom 2)
I look at our list and think we have 2 players that we could part with that would have the currency to get us there. Carlisle or Billings.
With the emergence of Battle, the improvement of Joyce. Marsh, Wilkie, Robertson (maybe), Austin and Clav as depth our key position defender stocks are ok. Not great but good. Having Carlisle in our current team i don’t think would change any results this year. We’d still be 4:4
Billings is the tease. His best is unreal but doesn’t get there enough. But based on potential another team might be tempted.

Steven won’t get us what we want if he chose to leave.

Gresham, Membery, Marshall, Steele, Battle, Bytel, Parker, King, Clark and Coffield are untouchable. The only other players that would interest clubs.

Our first plus one of Carlisle or Billings for a top 3 plus steak knives might do it.

I am definitely not saying we should do this but geez i want one of Rowell or Anderson

how do we get up the draft order to get one of Rowell or Anderson? (Other than the obvious finish bottom 2)
I look at our list and think we have 2 players that we could part with that would have the currency to get us there. Carlisle or Billings.
With the emergence of Battle, the improvement of Joyce. Marsh, Wilkie, Robertson (maybe), Austin and Clav as depth our key position defender stocks are ok. Not great but good. Having Carlisle in our current team i don’t think would change any results this year. We’d still be 4:4
Billings is the tease. His best is unreal but doesn’t get there enough. But based on potential another team might be tempted.

Gresham, Membery, Marshall, Steele, Battle, Bytel, Parker, King, Clark and Coffield are untouchable. The only other players that would interest clubs.

Our first plus one of Carlisle or Billings for a top 3 plus steak knives might do it.

I am definitely not saying we should do this but geez i want one of Rowell or Anderson
All in all its a bit soon anyway with Clav and Ming yet to even debut. I hope we go hard at p1/2 this year and get a blue chip mid.
I could see Adelaide doing such a deal depending on the SA talent, particularly since last years kids cant get in the team atm.
It roughly works as our 2019/20 1st for picks 2 and 34ish and change. If Bytel comes on then I'd do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get rid of Carsile over Billings we have a good defence without him.

so in previous seasons our inside mids were: armo, steven, koby, dunstan, ross, steele

we come around to this season we bring in: hanners (injury prone) and bytel (very green)

but we have lost: koby

now we look like losing: armo and steven

so we really have: steele, ross, dunstan (form issues), hanners (injured), steven (issues), armo (cooked), bytel (green)

so we really only have 3 players to choose from. we need some mature bodies in there ASAP

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05...mong-five-clubs-interested-in-exdocker-deluca

should have taken him in the draft just gone. hopefully we still get him

What would you know, you only picked Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan. The recruiters at the Saints know more than you. We sold Stanley who was today rated as the competition's number three ruckman behind Gawn and Grundy, then went on to say it's an outrage how little respect McEvoy gets as he's as good. Big Mac is rated the 16th best player in the AFL on ranking points as well. Add Lynch and Cripps and we start to show a pattern of idiocy. It sounds like we are keen to do it again in the trade period.

On Deluca, he needs to start on a back flank if he wants our attention.

You are banned from trading Gringo , Even thinking about trading those blokes you should be locked up , the only one id consider trading is Ross and ATM he is our best Mid

I'm pointing out that that is our only currency. I'm absolutely against trading out, so far it's worked to make us a worse side and not recovered anything like what we have lost.

What would you know, you only picked Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan. The recruiters at the Saints know more than you. We sold Stanley who was today rated as the competition's number three ruckman behind Gawn and Grundy, then went on to say it's an outrage how little respect McEvoy gets as he's as good. Big Mac is rated the 16th best player in the AFL on ranking points as well. Add Lynch and Cripps and we start to show a pattern of idiocy. It sounds like we are keen to do it again in the trade period.

hickey came good for WCE too before he cooked his hamstring. i found it amusing WCE said they were teach him to ruck from the ground up. basically teaching him to tap it.

Yeh, gringo was of the same opinion as you in that they foresaw an increase.
But I’ll still dispute the quantum, because no one foresaw the 20% leap in 2017.
Irrelevant now anyway, water under the bridge.

I remember them saying it was coming for a few seasons and then just when people had kind of given up on the idea they announced it. My memory is pretty sketchy though.

so in previous seasons our inside mids were: armo, steven, koby, dunstan, ross, steele

we come around to this season we bring in: hanners (injury prone) and bytel (very green)

but we have lost: koby

now we look like losing: armo and steven

so we really have: steele, ross, dunstan (form issues), hanners (injured), steven (issues), armo (cooked), bytel (green)

so we really only have 3 players to choose from. we need some mature bodies in there ASAP
Yes, but will we have a pick in the draft?

And boy oh boy didn’t he get smashed for suggesting those two 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back