2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

This is who i want to draft we have a number of young inside mids blakely, cerra, brayshaw and valente.
I want someone whos outside can kick and he about around our likely pick.
He will also help our mid to forward connection.

9 Jye Caldwell

8/1/01
183cm/70kg
South Australia/Norwood
Midfielder

Stephens is a midfielder who can cut up teams with his left foot and relentless running. In the mould of West Coast star Andrew Gaff, Stephens plays on the wing and can impact a game by accumulation. He's a nice kick and doesn't waste too many touches and has also played at senior level in the SANFL. Stephens finished the carnival in great form, gathering 33 disposals, six tackles, nine clearances against the Allies to claim All Australian honours.

Dylan Stephens in action against the Allies. Picture: AFL Photos

690478_lp.jpg

This is who i want to draft we have a number of young inside mids blakely, cerra, brayshaw and valente.

9 Jye Caldwell

8/1/01
183cm/70kg
South Australia/Norwood
Midfielder

Stephens is a midfielder who can cut up teams with his left foot and relentless running. In the mould of West Coast star Andrew Gaff, Stephens plays on the wing and can impact a game by accumulation. He's a nice kick and doesn't waste too many touches and has also played at senior level in the SANFL. Stephens finished the carnival in great form, gathering 33 disposals, six tackles, nine clearances against the Allies to claim All Australian honours.

690478_lp.jpg
He looks good. The debate about his one-sided kicking has been interesting.

He looks good. The debate about his one-sided kicking has been interesting.

In my opinion, its one of the dumbest arguments I've seen. In Round 4 of the Champs, the commentators made mention a few times that Stephens wanted to get onto his preferred left side. So now the people who are basing their entire opinions off of just four games have latched onto that, and claim it to be a major negative.

The fact is that barely any AFL players kick off their non preferred, let alone the 18 year olds kids getting drafted. There was an article a few weeks back that said that less than 9% of all kicks in the AFL were on a players opposite foot. So why should it be an issue?

Are you talking up Sumich here? Genuine question, not looking to have a crack or troll.

I suppose so. I think he has done good things with the juniors, mainly in the way he plays to their strengths. WA played a fast running style at the Champs, which worked with their smaller outside players.

9 Jye Caldwell

8/1/01
183cm/70kg
South Australia/Norwood
Midfielder

690478_lp.jpg
Yep on his bandwagon since champs.
Absolutely what we need

You can typically get away with being 1 sided on the outside. Billy a good example.

Chris reckons he is good inside too, ftr.

Absolutely. As long as the 'good side' is very good, AFL quality good, then it doesn't matter. In fact, many current quality kicks are exceptional on one side, poor on the other.

EDIT: Just read Chris25 post above, so yeah, what he said.

Last edited:
You guys are crazy. Pick the 200cm highly athletic Western Australian. They don’t come round too often.
Stephens is almost must have for us , form and picks pending of course.

But yeah I’m really starting to think Jackson is just too good a prospect to pass up.
Especially as I think if we can get another mid first rounder we could be right in his draft range.

Would allow us number of various set ups in relation to our kpp without sacrificing much mobility , if at all.

I see him rated similar to Tim English and he’s looking like really paying off as a prospect .
What’s more he’s become virtually too high price trade wise to entice back.
Can see exact same situation turning out with Jackson if lives up to his potential.

We 100% need to trade our first next year and get another 1st rd for this draft

You guys are crazy. Pick the 200cm highly athletic Western Australian. They don’t come round too often.
Love the kid BUT.

First saw him playing basketball for Australia, thought to myself that he have high basketball IQ, does all the team things and works hard.

The problem is that he isn’t quick either running or jumping plus 198cm with short limbs doesn’t help with reach. Jumping slow is an issue.

The few games of champs I saw him getting out reached by the other rucks. If he is getting our reached now, AFL will be worse.

Therefore, the kid needs to be a key forward/back but his closing/separation speed is slow.

I gut feel is may end like Sellar or Panos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephens is almost must have for us , form and picks pending of course.

But yeah I’m really starting to think Jackson is just too good a prospect to pass up.
Especially as I think if we can get another mid first rounder we could be right in his draft range.

Would allow us number of various set ups in relation to our kpp without sacrificing much mobility , if at all.

I see him rated similar to Tim English and he’s looking like really paying off as a prospect .
What’s more he’s become virtually too high price trade wise to entice back.
Can see exact same situation turning out with Jackson if lives up to his potential.

We 100% need to trade our first next year and get another 1st rd for this draft
Some chance any lower first rounder would then have to be used on Henry. We would need Jackson to fall to our 2nd.

Some chance any lower first rounder would then have to be used on Henry. We would need Jackson to fall to our 2nd.
Yeah I keep hearing that but I’d be amazed if Henry gets bid on b4 pick 20.
Really think people jumping at shadows with what he’s going to cost us.
As Gav’s said previously it’s almost triple discount with NGA( in particular wa indigenous lads)

Not to mention we may end up with number of late first /early seconds if ed and shilly go as well, certainly least with ed as looks likely.

Then on top With live trading we have even more options to get the best deal for ourselves.

As Gav’s said previously it’s almost triple discount with NGA( in particular wa indigenous lads)

Not to mention we may end up with number of late first /early seconds if ed and shilly go as well, certainly least with ed as looks likely.

Then on top With live trading we have even more options to get the best deal for ourselves.
Fair comment. But Freo will want to get a handle on where he might go in the draft. It may influence some of our decision-making

And anyway you slice it, we will be getting a bargain.

Where would Henry be rated against IHill? I think similar, and without being an NGA prospect Hill went much later than expected by most. A small player, indigenous kid with strong ties to his home state. That will be a factor for clubs when they size them up against other options who they also rate.

There are a heap of NGA's and F/Ss coming through now. Collectively I think that will make bidding for other club's targets less likely.

What I’m talking about is young talent its right in front of us why go over east? Ffs i hope Sturt becomes a player but Hill was right there as a small forward we need and we over looked him.
Seriously? You are having a little snivel because the club didn't pick a player similar to a couple we are about to pick up via the NGA, and instead preferred a taller player? We currently have 3 WA based small forwards on our list, and will likely get another in each of the next 2 drafts. Our medium forwards are.....Sturt.

Last edited:
Seriously? You are having a little snivel because the club didn't pick a player similar to a couple we are about to pick up via the NGA, and instead preferred a taller player? We currently have 3 WA based small forwards on our list, and will likely get another in each of the next 2 drafts. Our medium forwards are.....Sturt.
So what Hill was available this year instead we pick up guys like Switta who as a small fwd doesn’t kick goals and Shultzs who can’t get a game, there right in front of our eyes and we still over look them , btw not only small fwds any player in general.

I'm all for picking local players later on in the draft, but first round should be about best available.

Considering where our first pick is looking to be, I wouldn't be able to justify taking a WA kid that early. If we can manage to get another first round pick in (say in the 10-15 range) before a bid for Liam Henry comes, then I'd be happy to go local and look at Deven Robertson or Elijah Taylor. But unless we move on Darcy, I just can't see Luke Jackson being a good pick up for a rebuilding side. We've invested too heavily in Lobb and Hogan, plus the years of development we've put into Darcy and Taberner. Comparative to other positions, a ruck wouldn't hugely improve our side.

We should definitely be looking at the likes of Trent Rivers, Jarvis Pina, Jake Pasini, Trey Ruscoe and Ryan Bennell outside of the first round though.

I'm all for picking local players later on in the draft, but first round should be about best available.

Considering where our first pick is looking to be, I wouldn't be able to justify taking a WA kid that early. If we can manage to get another first round pick in (say in the 10-15 range) before a bid for Liam Henry comes, then I'd be happy to go local and look at Deven Robertson or Elijah Taylor. But unless we move on Darcy, I just can't see Luke Jackson being a good pick up for a rebuilding side. We've invested too heavily in Lobb and Hogan, plus the years of development we've put into Darcy and Taberner. Comparative to other positions, a ruck wouldn't hugely improve our side.

We should definitely be looking at the likes of Trent Rivers, Jarvis Pina, Jake Pasini, Trey Ruscoe and Ryan Bennell outside of the first round though.

I wouldn’t pigeon hole him as a ruck. Jackson could play any number of positions.

I wouldn’t pigeon hole him as a ruck. Jackson could play any number of positions.
WC seem to have a love affair with the tall talent, depending on if Brander is looked upon as long term, trade bait? But can see them taking a couple of
West Aussies.
With NN and ongoing injury, Vardy? They need to break even in the ruck with their midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back