Preview 2020 AFL Grand-Final: Richmond v Geelong @ The GABBA (Serious one)

Remove this Banner Ad

First, great write up mate, well done!

Secondly full credit to both sides. Both have had to contend with interstate clubs having all the advantages this year and for it to be a all VIC GF makes my hart sing, going to get #VICBIASE tattooed on my back after a win.

On the game, I am really confident we will get the win and that is not a slight on the cats, who have been great this path month and have had some major in's since our round 17 game. What fills me with confidence is simply how both teams prior games have been played. Cats have had 2 of the most bruise free finals type games you are likely to see. Its not their fault the pies were gassed after West Coke game and the bears played as lose as they could and allowed the cats all the space in the world.

Our games have been fully contested and great prep for the Grand Final. The cats love to maintain possession and carve you up with short kicks. We are elite in being able to close down the space and force that possession to be a quick release, if the cats don't pinpoint a lead up pass, they are often exposed on the turnover, also outside Rowhan there forward line is not as fast as ours.

The biggest thing which most over look, is that we have fixed our main weakness against them is sides ability to dominate the air, that does not happen now. We have also had 2 rehearsals leading up to this game. We had WC who needed to win to make the top 4 coming off a 7 game win streak. We had the cats needing to win to lock in top 4 coming off 6 straight wins and we dominated both games.

People make excuses and one of them is that the tigers have not played "great footy". I disagree, we seem to lift based on the oppo we play. Saints game was a perfect example, we were electric in the first quarter, conserved energy in the middle two quarters and when the saints started to fight we blew them away in the last. Against both "contenders" in the WC and Cats we smashed them from start to finished and played the game on our terms.

If we equal the cats in the first quarter and hold them in the second to go into half time with a slight lead, we have proven in the last half of games we can accelerate to extra levels and in those last two quarters the older legs tend to tire. We just have to make sure we dont allow them easy ball, if we do that we can and will be cut up

I’m personally worried about this game.

our last 2 GF wins we bullied the oppo who were both mentally weak. The Cats are a very experienced team with a long history of finals appearances.

This time our path to victory is going to be long and hard. The game won’t be over at half time. Chris Scott has obsessed over us for 3 years. Round 17 he held back and avoided showing his hand.

but then again, we have a team with such experience that they can switch methods of play at will.

There is nothing preordained in this game. Tactics will be crucial. Hope my heart can take it. Go Tiges!

Watching the Geelong v Brisbane PF and Lions we’re right in the match at 3/4 time, they blew a couple of easy set shots and add to that the throw to set up Ablett goal. It wasn’t the easy romp that it’s being portrayed as.

I’m personally worried about this game.

our last 2 GF wins we bullied the oppo who were both mentally weak. The Cats are a very experienced team with a long history of finals appearances.

This time our path to victory is going to be long and hard. The game won’t be over at half time. Chris Scott has obsessed over us for 3 years. Round 17 he held back and avoided showing his hand.

but then again, we have a team with such experience that they can switch methods of play at will.

There is nothing preordained in this game. Tactics will be crucial. Hope my heart can take it. Go Tiges!

we just need to not get bashed in clearances and contested footy and bring our “A” pressure game. We do that we win. Simple formula really.

we just need to not get bashed in clearances and contested footy and bring our “A” pressure game. We do that we win. Simple formula really.

That pressure game is so critical. So too is not letting Ablett get a few goals and then, recognising that Geelong are big finishers as well. The last 15 years they have come over the top of so many sides in the last quarter.

That pressure game is so critical. So too is not letting Ablett get a few goals and then, recognising that Geelong are big finishers as well. The last 15 years they have come over the top of so many sides in the last quarter.

sounds familiar 😁

Late in the glorious afternoon of Saturday the 28th of September, 2019 Daniel Rioli centered the ball to our skipper, Trent Cotchin.
Cotchin took off, streaming through the heart of the MCG, the heart of AFL - on the game's biggest stage.

With a bounce and big profile recruit, Tom Lynch leading up at him, Cotchin let rip his biggest kick of his career.
All the years of hatred and sadness all gone in seconds as the ball soared through the Punt Road end.

Oh how glorious it was as Richmond went on to win their second flag in three years to a crowd of 100 000 AFL fans, right before we all congregated to Swan Street to celebrate as an army.

Fast forward to Thursday the 11th of June, 2020 and Richmond are playing Collingwood in the second round of the AFL season.
What was unknown to us at the time of our skippers goal was that their was going to be an unprecedented global pandemic, which would halt not only our footy season, back to back hopes, but for many, our lives.

The COVID-19 pandemic swept the nation as boarders were shut, games of footy cancelled, businesses closed and schools went online.
For many of us, Richmond winning another flag seemed completely irrelevant, not even 6 months after winning another flag was everything.

Despite the shutdown of the AFL industry, the AFL got it going again.
And how glorious it was!

Footy was back and while we sat in our homes doing everything we could to avoid this strange, silent killer, we watched from our screens as Cotchin, Dusty and Edwards took the field.
No longer would we meet at The Corner Hotel or the London to wet our whistles before charging as one into the G', taking our rightful seats behind 'Cotchy's goals and yelling our hearts out, acting as the 19th man.
This year was about home support.

But, we had so many positives.
Jack Higgins was back after life-threatening brain surgery!
Had his career of been over, no one would have minded - but there he was, back on the MCG kicking 'snags'.

Young gun Sydney Stack was gearing up for another big season, to prove to us he was more than a flash-in-the-pan and we could finally see the Jack-Lynch combo we were robbed of for so much of 2019 as we focused again on our back-to-back dreams.

And in the greater AFL, our season was on!
Young cubs Brisbane set out to show the AFL world they we no Melbourne, while Melbourne set out to show us they were not the Dee's of this century with new recruit, Harley Bennell debuting in emotional scenes.
St Kilda had a new coach and 5 big trade ins.
Port Adelaide were celebrating 150 years and Ken Hinkley didn't shy away from his ambitions as the Crows set out on their rebuild across the river.
Carlton and North both with new coaches came to play and let the faithful know they were back in business.

But as the year grew, Victoria became a scary place to be as a football club so the 9 Victorian sides packed their bags for what was to be 5 weeks of hub life, following in the footsteps of the Adelaide and Western Australian clubs on the sunny Gold Coast.
5 weeks quickly turned into a season as players adjusted to their new hotel lives, leaving behind pets and family while the AFL took the biggest stage to Queensland for the first time in VFL/AFL history.

Our own Bachar Houli and Shane Edwards staying in Melbourne for the births of their youngest.

Our enemies on Saturday night, the Geelong Football Club, had their fair share of movement too.
Star recruit Jack Stevens had a delayed start to his new home after a strange off field incident while the game's greatest star in Gary Ablett Jnr, having returned from his own stay on the Gold Coast in pursuit of one more Cat flag went home for his own personal reasons, before returning with 'Shedda'.

And yet, as the game went on and teams dropped off, only 8 were left.
Collingwood surprised the AFL world knocking off the Eagles over in the West, while the Saints took care of the Bulldogs in another Elimination Final.
Richmond lost to the Lions as they flexed their muscle for the first time in 12 years and Port showed they are serious with a win over Geelong.

A week later, Richmond showed why they are the reigning champs against the Saints and the Pies, having spent their tickets the week prior, gave no yelp to Geelong in Brisbane.

The Port Adelaide v Tigers Prelim was one for the ages as we slogged it out in the rain for a epic 6 point win and the Cats showed why they have been one of the best for 15 years with a breakthrough win against Brisbane.

The Richmond v Geelong Grand Final on paper shapes up to be a all time classic, however paper is rarely reality.
The Cats like to play a very slow, kick and mark game which will fall right into the hands of a hardened Richmond who swarm on slow play and pressure you into mistakes.
If Geelong play it slow and move handballs backwards to set up their switch, they will concede more goals than they kick.
They must move the ball low and fast with kicks if they are any chance.

Key match ups will be Balta v Hawkins, Nankervis v Stanley and Lynch v Henderson with the Dusty v Danger match up already making Channel 7 drool.

Can the new dynasty cement itself against the old timers?
With no key injuries or form coming into play, one would assume both sides go in unchanged from their Prelims.

My tip?
Richmond by 35+ as we gain early ascendency, much like last years Grand Final and take our back-to-back we so richly deserve and we can only pray for a COVID free 2021 and an assault on the 3peat.

Eat 'Em Alive!
tl/dr

Secondly full credit to both sides. Both have had to contend with interstate clubs having all the advantages this year and for it to be a all VIC GF makes my hart sing, going to get #VICBIASE tattooed on my back after a win.

On the game, I am really confident we will get the win and that is not a slight on the cats, who have been great this path month and have had some major in's since our round 17 game. What fills me with confidence is simply how both teams prior games have been played. Cats have had 2 of the most bruise free finals type games you are likely to see. Its not their fault the pies were gassed after West Coke game and the bears played as lose as they could and allowed the cats all the space in the world.

Our games have been fully contested and great prep for the Grand Final. The cats love to maintain possession and carve you up with short kicks. We are elite in being able to close down the space and force that possession to be a quick release, if the cats don't pinpoint a lead up pass, they are often exposed on the turnover, also outside Rowhan there forward line is not as fast as ours.

The biggest thing which most over look, is that we have fixed our main weakness against them is sides ability to dominate the air, that does not happen now. We have also had 2 rehearsals leading up to this game. We had WC who needed to win to make the top 4 coming off a 7 game win streak. We had the cats needing to win to lock in top 4 coming off 6 straight wins and we dominated both games.

People make excuses and one of them is that the tigers have not played "great footy". I disagree, we seem to lift based on the oppo we play. Saints game was a perfect example, we were electric in the first quarter, conserved energy in the middle two quarters and when the saints started to fight we blew them away in the last. Against both "contenders" in the WC and Cats we smashed them from start to finished and played the game on our terms.

If we equal the cats in the first quarter and hold them in the second to go into half time with a slight lead, we have proven in the last half of games we can accelerate to extra levels and in those last two quarters the older legs tend to tire. We just have to make sure we dont allow them easy ball, if we do that we can and will be cut up
Tiger71 can you guys on your preview podcast discuss how things change being either a wet or a dry game? I see the forecast is wet atm but obviously may change still

does it effect the older cats legs? Pace of the game, lynch and reiwoldts impact, skills etc... thanks mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the big day approaches

we have both played in 3 finals

I would put that our 3 would have been more taxing
Brisbane played out of their skins 3 weeks ago
Saints had a real crack , they had nothing to lose
Port - well that was brutal , the wet , the Port crowd and both teams played like there was no tomorrow

The Cats run to the GF
Port at Port - was a good game , high standard defense but nowhere near as brutal as our Friday night encounter
Collingwood - who were spent , no fault of Geelongs and they dispatched them in a clinical manner
Brisbane - was it they were flat from their first final or Geelong just didn't let them get up and running ??

We have earnt our place in the GF the hard way , beating sides who were fully up for the battle
Geelong have had a nice tune up and should arrive on Grand Final day in good shape both physically and confidence wise

How do we prep for the Cats and what are key strategies for the game

contested ball
centre clearances
they are areas that Hardwick & Kingsley have said we have worked on and I think the message on them will only ramp up

the Gabba is shorter and centre clearances can be very damaging

Stanley wasn't playing the last time we met so a new challenge for Nank
Stanley has looked good the last 2 games both his tap work and followup
Nank only knows one way , kill mode
if Nank can nullify Stanley's height/leap advantage we are off to a great start

Our centre bounce setup seems to have received a tweak recently , could be its Prestia back in there ???
his low centre of gravity and his ball reading ability are great

down forward Jack and Tom seem to work well together
Jack was almost over doing the hitting the ball on on Friday night
I can see him going for a few more marks and if they sag off him waiting for the crumbs
and I think a Lynch on the move will trouble Henderson or Taylor if the ball hits the ground

Port were able to contain Dangerfield & Rohan and I think our guys can too
as much as we might like to slag off at the pair , if you put one foot wrong they'll hit the scoreboard

between the arcs Geelong will try to chip the ball around and draw out our defense
its a tactic that does beat us on occasions but can they execute under Grand Final pressure and possible rain ?

Rioli & George will be crucial
they apply the defensive pressure and Rioli can also pick off the odd intercept
when games are tight its often been our constant pressure that causes a turn over and we stream forward with it
Geelong are good at spreading and possessing the ball so it wont be easy to get turn overs
If the tackle count for that pair is up things will be looking good for us

and then if the game is still tight
Captain Cotch will look to impose himself , something Geelong dont want to think about ... because it hurts :)

of course we can win , but we have to play close to our best because Geelong will set a high standard
higher than GWS did last year and higher than Adelaide in 2017

Go Tiges

Firstly, A bit off topic but I’m calling fake news on Poorts 150th year. I’m not buying for a second that that club existed 30 years before Australia did. The sport was invented in Victoria. FAKE

Secondly, I would like to send a huge thanks to any West Coast sooks reading this right now. Cheers for removing Tim Kelly from this match lol A handy out

Tiger71 can you guys on your preview podcast discuss how things change being either a wet or a dry game? I see the forecast is wet atm but obviously may change still

does it effect the older cats legs? Pace of the game, lynch and reiwoldts impact, skills etc... thanks mate

You bet mate have that in my notes as its a really good point

a shame that dwain pipe just cut you off

Looks like about a 25% chance of rain throughout the game time. So mostly dry, but maybe a bit slippery. We'd much prefer it to be wet than the Cats.

Overall, I reckon we'll be prepared to go in hard and pressure their socks off. Once you take that easy ball movement off them they don't have many more tricks. Simple formula really. If they can control the ball they'll win. If we make it contested we win. If we control the ball we smash them.

Looks like about a 25% chance of rain throughout the game time. So mostly dry, but maybe a bit slippery. We'd much prefer it to be wet than the Cats.

Overall, I reckon we'll be prepared to go in hard and pressure their socks off. Once you take that easy ball movement off them they don't have many more tricks. Simple formula really. If they can control the ball they'll win. If we make it contested we win. If we control the ball we smash them.
Think it’s a bit hard to predict the weather up here this time of year 5 days out.
especially for a night game.
Could be storm cells and they could miss or hit the Gabba as well.

Gotta feel for Markov. Will have been an emergency for two grand finals now.

As for preparation, walking into a grand final with an easy prelim is rarely a good thing. Sydney absolutely belted North in 2014, while Hawthorn beat Port in a thriller. Hawks rolled Sydney the next week.
I would so much rather have Markov in the side than Pickett. Pickett is a dead-set liability

Remove this Banner Ad

Back