2020 AFLW R1 vs WC (Sun 9 Feb 1.10pm @ VICTORIA PARK) - 'pies open 2020 with a win! Coll 5.8 38 WC 1.5 8

Remove this Banner Ad

She has definitely improved. Good to see.

She has improved her ruck work heaps and physicality , still looks a tad unco which is surprising for a world class netballer, but i think she will be a positive this year

You beauty.

Plenty to work on, but they did enough to get the win. After three crap seasons, I'm stoked to start with a win.

Davey saying it's hopefully just a corky.

Great to see Chloe back too

There were some good performances form some of the grils, I am a bit unfamiliar with their names at this stage, the irish girls looked good, the other tall backman playiing down next to Brazill, she looked good too

Some promising signs

She has improved her ruck work heaps and physicality , still looks a tad unco which is surprising for a world class netballer, but i think she will be a positive this year
Layton’s improved marking stood out. Not the only player who looks to have improved their game either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of years ago the AFL told us that as the younger women started playing and getting drafted due to this comp starting the skills would improve

We are now starting to see that, the younger women are far better skilled than those older players who first played 4 years ago
The young 17, 18 and 19 year olds are displaying AFL trait ability, they move like AFL footballers and their skills are AFL quality

The rolling pack mauls are starting diminish as the younger women come through
In another 2 years this comp will be a ripper

A couple of years ago the AFL told us that as the younger women started playing and getting drafted due to this comp starting the skills would improve

We are now starting to see that, the younger women are far better skilled than those older players who first played 4 years ago
The young 17, 18 and 19 year olds are displaying AFL trait ability, they move like AFL footballers and their skills are AFL quality

The rolling pack mauls are starting diminish as the younger women come through
In another 2 years this comp will be a ripper

Thx BJ, you’ve articulated what I was thinking and discussing on the way home.

Best game I’ve seen our girls play. Terrific performance. WC look to be a way off, but that’s not to diminish our win.

Difficult conditions, and very humid too, but we played as a team. And some of the girls are really - finally - developing as footballers. Layton looks to be much better than last year.

Great first up win for the new coach.

As others have noted, some very good signs.

COLLINGWOOD vs WEST COAST
The strong gale blowing to one end was the major thing which influenced the game.

Eagles came out of the blocks with their aggressive tackling and with us kicking against a gale was the story of the 1st quarter. Mind you some of our excessive and bad handballing didn’t help.

We played much better from then on and controlled the game by linking up and trying to run and carry in the remaining quarters when we had the breeze.

The 3rd quarter by not allowing them to score a goal and getting one ourselves, went a long way in holding them at bay.

Good to get the win.

Davey hopefully avoiding a severe injury was a relief.

Good to finally win Game 1 in AFLW.

Layton – Worked tirelessly today and was in our best and reinforced this with a goal. Very good game today.

Molloy – Started with a good goal and ended it with a great chase and tackle. Was good today and welcome back!

Davey – Was okay today and had me using numerous expletives when she went down recalling all the draft picks, we gave up for her. Phew!

D’Arcy – Quiet in the first half. Came alive in the last quarter, although missed two sitters for someone of her ability on her left. But then quickly learned from them and scored a nice goal, finally working out the breezy conditions.

Allen – Played well up forward. Has nice skills and didn’t waste a kick.

Rowe – Was quiet early and was better in the second half. Nice shot for goal that hit the post.

Bonnici – Provided link up play and tackled well all day. Got squashed with someone falling on her head. Lucky, she had her helmet on. One of our better players today.

Porter – A great debut. Got tackled all day but got her handballs away. Will become a popular player as she has a real go!

Brazill – Simultaneously, tripped over herself and got tackled and went off at the beginning. Came back later and played well with her intercept marking and spoiling. Provided nice run and kicking out of the backline.

Livingstone – Overall a very good solid game apart from one shocking play in the 3rd where she nearly cost us a goal. Goals are a premium and we just cannot be giving them away.

Lambert – In and under, a goal, and fought tirelessly all day. One of our better players today.

Sheridan – A great debut. Tried hard and will get used to being tackled. Could have had goal of the day but missed it.

Fowler – Quiet but was okay.

Chiocci – Was one of our better players with her run and carry. Some impressive things which included a nice goal. Did a couple of shocking things as well, though. Nevertheless, was very good today and our best player. Had the amusing moment of the day where she had her arms around the WC woman mountain in a stand-up tackle but couldn’t move her, much to the amusement of Livingstone.

Membrey – Tried hard today and presented as a target up forward.

Casey – Was solid in defence.

Butler – Was also solid in defence.

Alexander – Quiet but presented well when required.

Cann – Tried hard today and was in and under. Should have got a sitter of a goal but got too close to the mark and missed.

Shevlin – Was quiet today.

Dargan – Was unsighted today until a purple patch in the last where two wonderful defensive, forward tackles were rewarded.

Final score please

Collingwood 0.0 ~ 2.2 ~ 3.4 ~ 5.8 38
West Coast
1.2 ~ 1.2 ~ 1.4 ~ 1.5 11

Collingwood
Goals:
C Molloy, J Lambert, S Chiocci, S Layton, S D’Arcy
Best: J Lambert, S Layton, S Chiocci, M Cann, B Bonnici, S Livingstone

West Coast
Goal:
D Hooker
Best D Hooker, E Swanson, I Cameron, C Perera, P Laurie, M Dowrick.

Injuries – Collingwood: B Davey (leg). West Coast: A Hill (knee), G Kelly (Hamstring).

Crowd: 6100 at Victoria Park.

Stats & report here:

Last edited:
The wind and the umpiring really slowed us in the first quarter. I was worried because we looked to have little in the way of ball movement. Their tackling was powerful and at times flirted with the line. I think the coaching was smart to absorb the pressure and play tight defensvely.

After quarter time we adjusted and you can see the difference a new coach has made to our ball use and structure. I think the umpiring also changed because we started getting some frees from dubious tackles we didn't in the first. I was really impressed with our ability to flick it around by hand to find space, then go bang quickly by foot when we had that space. Much improved. Also our defensive pressure is as good as it's ever been.

Some thoughts on the players:
- Reckon Porter looked a real likely type and stood up under pressure. We needed to find a back pocket to fill McIntosh's shoes and we look to have that plus better skills.
- Layton needs to time her jumps better. She goes a fraction too early. Looked good overhead though and always stays involved.
- I hope Davey is ok :(
- The class of Brazill, Molloy and Allen stood out. They seem to have more time in close, find space and actually have composure when disposing the ball. It makes us much more dangerous offensively.
- We're a bit too short up front so will really need to be clever with our blocks and leading patterns to create space.
- Chiocci was really good for us. Best i've seen her play including her attack on the ball. She's lifted as captain. Amazing dedication to take time off without pay to dedicate herself to footy.
- Rowe looks really comfortable compared to last season. Sheridan looks a natural. Good to see the Irish girls stand up.
- D'Arcy is a lot bigger than last year. I wonder if she has bulked up for the forward role?

Last edited:
What a great game. I don't know if its that we a new coach, or game plan; but something is definitely changed.

That first quarter was a lot of defending and trying to find their feet, but after quarter time, they came out blazing. This game was a pretty good standard. Skills were good, sure there were things to be worked on, but it's much better than 12 months ago that's for sure.

Probably our highest score yet in 4 years? It's so good to see Chloe Molloy back out there. I don't think you start to realize how much she was missed last season until her return. Also, Chiocci had a real captain's game. I really liked Lamberts' game.

The debutants were good. For a 19 year old, Alana Porter did really well down back.

The crowd, the atmosphere was amazing. Given we were wooden spooners last season, I didn't think we would get this attendance (bit over 6,000) on the first game of 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back