List Mgmt. 2020 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Draft Tracker
Battle is about the same heigh at Jack Darling, who is absolutely a key forward. Someone his size can he a key forward. It is also the way he plays up forward as a genuine marking target. Just like when he played in defence, he was used as a genuine key position player on the oppositions tall forwards.

McKernan isn't a direct replacement for Abbott since he is a forward who can spend a little bit of time in the ruck whereas Abbott was a ruckman. Different types of players.

You are viewing Ford as only a forward. Whereas, many of us were discussing him as someone who would move into the midfield. The discussion about the forward line set up from my end has nothing to do with Ford, but with you repeating that our clear forward set up is 1 tall with multiple small forwards when the games we played last year and some planning moving into next year doesn't reflect that at all.

Membrey is a little key forward too. He plays as a tall despite needing platform shoes to drive a car.

I keep seeing these teams with Long at half back and I can't help thinking we still need to target an attacking hbf'er.

He's still not a lock in my opinion. He's going to want to get some consistency or he could easily lose his spot.

They aren't genuine key forwards. You can argue Marshall, but he isn't in the side to play forward. A genuine forward IMO is someone that plays almost exclusively forward. They are ruckmen that rest forward and as an added bonus have the ability to kick goals. So if the strategy is two tall forwards, I don't know why we didn't spend the last 2 years trying to find one.

If they aren't impacting in the ruck they wouldn't be in the team either and this is the point - first and foremost they are in there to ruck. If we wanted two key tall forwards, and genuine tall forwards at that, we would just play Marshall one out in the ruck and find ourselves a genuine tall forward because I think we can all agree if that is the strategy there is surely better options out there to play 2nd tall to King than Ryder.
Regardless of what you want to label Ryder/Marshall up forward as, it doesn't change the fact playing one of them in the forward line every games means our forward line structure consists of more than 1 tall.

I dont think it matters if it is someone who is just a tall forward, if it is a resting ruck, if it is a utlity type in Battle, we have shown we prefer to have someone else as a tall marking target alongside King than just King himself.

Regardless of what you want to label Ryder/Marshall up forward as, it doesn't change the fact playing one of them in the forward line every games means our forward line structure consists of more than 1 tall.

I dont think it matters if it is someone who is just a tall forward, if it is a resting ruck, if it is a utlity type in Battle, we have shown we prefer to have someone else as a tall marking target alongside King than just King himself.
Ok

He's still not a lock in my opinion. He's going to want to get some consistency or he could easily lose his spot.
I think Webster is a much better option but again he's not a great attacking defender.

As much as he adds to and wants to play midfield, I'd love to be able to play someone like Jones off hbf.

apologies if posted already, but you guys weren't wrong. he looks awesome:
Looks a lot like one Aaron Hamill but a more fluid kicking action. He certainly tackles like Sammy.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I can honestly see a combo of Battle/Marshall as a CHF/ruck combo in a few years time- hear me out.

First people might say that Battle is to small for a ruck and I agree, at centre bounces would get smashed by taller ruckman (and I wouldn't utilise him in those situations unless is going against a much smaller 2nd ruckman- and even then could shark the opposition and be used as another midfielder as is agile enough), but around the ground is probably strong enough (in 2 years time) to hold his own. Let's not forget that Dunkley was used as a ruck, they are the same height and Battle weights 5 more kg's (being one year younger). Now I wouldn't play battle 50% ruck, just more of a chop out when Marshall needs a rest say 10% of game time.

As for Battle being a CHF and some saying that he is not big enough, he is the same height as Nick Riewoldt who is one of the greatest CHF's of all time, now he doesn't have that same endurance that made Riewoldt elite but could possibly develop that side whilst holding onto his strength that he constantly displays in marking contests.

We know that Marshall can seriously play forward as has displayed that this year. the only question would be how much fwd would he be able to play with battle as the main ruckman?

Edit* This is considering Membery as a more high Half forward who can take a good mark and is a solid field kick as a link-up type player (see tom Lynch when Crows were good)

Players we seem to be interested in from Cal's top 30;

(15) Finlay Macrae
186cm/78kg
13/3/02
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Midfielder

(18) Brayden Cook
190cm/82kg
18/7/02
South Adelaide/South Australia
Forward/midfielder

(21) Jack Carroll
187cm/79kg
20/12/02
East Fremantle/Western Australia
Midfielder

(25) Nathan O'Driscoll
186cm/78kg
17/5/02
Perth/Western Australia
Midfielder

(30) Zane Trew
186cm/80kg
26/4/02
Swan Districts/Western Australia
Midfielder

Cal always has pretty solid info. Looks like we are after a midfielder.

That’s my first vision of him. Slinks around like Clark. What do you mean by different - positive or negative?
Different positive.
I agree he has strong elements of Clark about him, especially in evading HTB situations when he's able to dish off amidst a suffocating tackle, which is apparent from watching the whole game.

Simplified, l see him like a blend of Clark's skills and Coff's movement.

It's hard to see where he plays long term, but for raw talent he sits well above his rating IMO.
The only one around our pick aside from Ford that l can say l genuinely want.

Last edited:

(15) Finlay Macrae
186cm/78kg
13/3/02
Midfielder

(18) Brayden Cook
190cm/82kg
18/7/02
Forward/midfielder

(21) Jack Carroll
187cm/79kg
20/12/02
Midfielder

(25) Nathan O'Driscoll
186cm/78kg
17/5/02
Perth/Western Australia
Midfielder

(30) Zane Trew
186cm/80kg
26/4/02
Midfielder

I would put a line through the guys from other states due to go home factor. Had a look at Macrae and am very impressed with his highlights as a bottom ager in the NAB series. Looks strong in the upper body, hard to tackle and is quick thinking. Be very surprised if he made it to our pick but if he does i would be rapt with that pickup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I can honestly see a combo of Battle/Marshall as a CHF/ruck combo in a few years time- hear me out.

First people might say that Battle is to small for a ruck and I agree, at centre bounces would get smashed by taller ruckman (and I wouldn't utilise him in those situations unless is going against a much smaller 2nd ruckman- and even then could shark the opposition and be used as another midfielder as is agile enough), but around the ground is probably strong enough (in 2 years time) to hold his own. Let's not forget that Dunkley was used as a ruck, they are the same height and Battle weights 5 more kg's (being one year younger). Now I wouldn't play battle 50% ruck, just more of a chop out when Marshall needs a rest say 10% of game time.

As for Battle being a CHF and some saying that he is not big enough, he is the same height as Nick Riewoldt who is one of the greatest CHF's of all time, now he doesn't have that same endurance that made Riewoldt elite but could possibly develop that side whilst holding onto his strength that he constantly displays in marking contests.

We know that Marshall can seriously play forward as has displayed that this year. the only question would be how much fwd would he be able to play with battle as the main ruckman?

Edit* This is considering Membery as a more high Half forward who can take a good mark and is a solid field kick as a link-up type player (see tom Lynch when Crows were good)
100% agree. Although not as battle as a ruck.

(15) Finlay Macrae
186cm/78kg
13/3/02
Midfielder

(18) Brayden Cook
190cm/82kg
18/7/02
Forward/midfielder

(21) Jack Carroll
187cm/79kg
20/12/02
Midfielder

(25) Nathan O'Driscoll
186cm/78kg
17/5/02
Perth/Western Australia
Midfielder

(30) Zane Trew
186cm/80kg
26/4/02
Midfielder

Pretty obvious we take Carroll then.

While I generally believe in getting rucks and defenders later in the draft, the more I read of Heath the more I like him with our first pick.

Give him a year watching Ryder live, being coached by both Ryder & Lade, testing himself against Marshall...

Seems like a solid plan.

If we draft and give him five years this is his projected outlook...

Max-Heath-SD-252x300.jpeg
75ce03cd088ed9e4a5d46adf44543ded.jpg

I do like the Max Heath chatter. A 203cm giant that is still growing, not weedy looking and has good wraps on him. A definite list need.

(15) Finlay Macrae
186cm/78kg
13/3/02
Midfielder

(18) Brayden Cook
190cm/82kg
18/7/02
Forward/midfielder

(21) Jack Carroll
187cm/79kg
20/12/02
Midfielder

(25) Nathan O'Driscoll
186cm/78kg
17/5/02
Perth/Western Australia
Midfielder

(30) Zane Trew
186cm/80kg
26/4/02
Midfielder

Had already posted this George.

I honestly don't think we need a mid when we already have Bytel and Byrnes waiting in the wings, and a plethora of players in the 22 who can rotate - Crouch, Steele, Ross, Jones, Hannerbery, Gresham, Clark, Higgins, Billings.

We have seen how a lack of flexibility has hurt Dunstans chances to find a spot in the side, and I could say the same about Bytel who looks every bit a big bodied inside rover and not much else.

The seduction of Ford is that he projects as that big body clearance mid whilst obviously having greater flexibility to play up forward with a marking and pressure game that reflects our system.

That's the biggest take away for me from his highlights, despite being largely different to the type of players we have brought into the front half over the past few years, his game appears to translate to ours perfectly (frontal pressure, very strong tackling, takes the game on through handball and long kicking, etc.).

The days of out and out mids being drafted are gone unless they are an exceptional talent taken high in the draft (Rowell, Walsh, Taranto, etc.). Hell even that next tier down (Anderson, Rozee, Stephenson, Clark, Cerra, etc.) have needed to ply their trade elsewhere over the first few years.

What you are asking for (drafted mid to come in 2nd year and play in our midfield from Pick 25+) is unrealistic, and we already have a superb talent waiting in the wings to do just that (Bytel).

Without the back injury, he is one I could have seen playing in a starting midfield role within the two years like you said. Trouble is, without the back injury he wouldn't be in the red, white and black.

(15) Finlay Macrae
186cm/78kg
13/3/02
Midfielder

(18) Brayden Cook
190cm/82kg
18/7/02
Forward/midfielder

(21) Jack Carroll
187cm/79kg
20/12/02
Midfielder

(25) Nathan O'Driscoll
186cm/78kg
17/5/02
Perth/Western Australia
Midfielder

(30) Zane Trew
186cm/80kg
26/4/02
Midfielder

Looks like George wants a midfielder more like it :oops:

I honestly don't think we need a mid when we already have Bytel and Byrnes waiting in the wings, and a plethora of players in the 22 who can rotate - Crouch, Steele, Ross, Jones, Hannerbery, Gresham, Clark, Higgins, Billings.

We have seen how a lack of flexibility has hurt Dunstans chances to find a spot in the side, and I could say the same about Bytel who looks every bit a big bodied inside rover and not much else.

The seduction of Ford is that he projects as that big body clearance mid whilst obviously having greater flexibility to play up forward with a marking and pressure game that reflects our system.

That's the biggest take away for me from his highlights, despite being largely different to the type of players we have brought into the front half over the past few years, his game appears to translate to ours perfectly (frontal pressure, very strong tackling, takes the game on through handball and long kicking, etc.).

The days of out and out mids being drafted are gone unless they are an exceptional talent taken high in the draft (Rowell, Walsh, Taranto, etc.). Hell even that next tier down (Anderson, Rozee, Stephenson, Clark, Cerra, etc.) have needed to ply their trade elsewhere over the first few years.

What you are asking for (drafted mid to come in 2nd year and play in our midfield from Pick 25+) is unrealistic, and we already have a superb talent waiting in the wings to do just that (Bytel).

Without the back injury, he is one I could have seen playing in a starting midfield role within the two years like you said. Trouble is, without the back injury he wouldn't be in the red, white and black.
Great post

Having looked at the indicative list of picks, I don't think there will be an appropriate suitor to trade up in the draft with.

Port Adelaides Pick 35 would be the dream, as I think they might struggle to pay for Lachie Jones if a bid comes around the Bombers / Crows picks.

The only other would be Brisbane with the news the Magpies might bid on Blake Coleman, a lot earlier than Brisbane were expecting, but I don't think we could pry the Lions Pick 25 and their next pick is 53.

If anyone has the draft pick index value and can determine if this is doable, that would be good. We have a working relationship with Port, so hopefully that eventuates.

(15) Finlay Macrae
186cm/78kg
13/3/02
Midfielder

(18) Brayden Cook
190cm/82kg
18/7/02
Forward/midfielder

(21) Jack Carroll
187cm/79kg
20/12/02
Midfielder

(25) Nathan O'Driscoll
186cm/78kg
17/5/02
Perth/Western Australia
Midfielder

(30) Zane Trew
186cm/80kg
26/4/02
Midfielder

The bloke changes his mind every month

I have faith in Bytel and Byrnes but we can’t put all our hopes in a 3 gamer and a 1 gamer. The facts are we don’t have a clue what they’ll end up being.

My biggest concern is still that as of right now we still don’t have a:

Martin-Cotchin-Edwards-Prestia
Yeo-Shuey-Gaff-Kelly
Hodge-Mitchell-Burgoyne-Lewis
Ablett-Selwood-Bartel-Corey

You get the point. We can keep filling all the other positions for the next 10 years and debate which type of forward line and backline works best but we won’t win a flag until we have a combination like that in the middle. IMO there’s a real chance to grab a midfield bolter that didn’t get the chance to bolt with our pick.

I have faith in Bytel and Byrnes but we can’t put all our hopes in a 3 gamer and a 1 gamer. The facts are we don’t have a clue what they’ll end up being.

My biggest concern is still that as of right now we still don’t have a:

Martin-Cotchin-Edwards-Prestia
Yeo-Shuey-Gaff-Kelly
Hodge-Mitchell-Burgoyne-Lewis
Ablett-Selwood-Bartel-Corey

You get the point. We can keep filling all the other positions for the next 10 years and debate which type of forward line and backline works best but we won’t win a flag until we have a combination like that in the middle. IMO there’s a real chance to grab a midfield bolter that didn’t get the chance to bolt with our pick.
Ford

Having looked at the indicative list of picks, I don't think there will be an appropriate suitor to trade up in the draft with.

Port Adelaides Pick 35 would be the dream, as I think they might struggle to pay for Lachie Jones if a bid comes around the Bombers / Crows picks.

The only other would be Brisbane with the news the Magpies might bid on Blake Coleman, a lot earlier than Brisbane were expecting, but I don't think we could pry the Lions Pick 25 and their next pick is 53.

If anyone has the draft pick index value and can determine if this is doable, that would be good. We have a working relationship with Port, so hopefully that eventuates.
I think on the night there will be clubs looking to trade out picks that they can't use.
Our future 3rd is the only appealing commodity we've got unfortunately.

Perhaps if one if them is feeling benevolent we can do an equal value trade into the low 40s.

Anyways, there will be opportunity in various forms throughout. It's just not apparent yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back