2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But who's in the lead for Smith?

When will 'sources say', who's leading?

I need to know who's currently leading.

I would say it's Geelong, then Melbourne (offering three years flat, no triggers) then us.

Can't deny that it wouldn't be a bad look for us if Smith was to leave us for Geelong. But I can't blame him, it's just indicative of where both clubs are at currently.

Smith isn't going to be a part of our next premiership push IMO, so right now my biggest concern is actually getting something for him should he end up leaving.

The other consideration is who are we actually going to be spending our cap on? How will we hit the 95% threshold.

Mind boggling list management decisions by the club over the last 3 or so years. Hartigan 3 years, Patton 3 years, Ceglar 3 years, Scully 4 years, but Issac Smith, one of the best pure wings can’t get more than 2. And it isn’t a salary cap issue. I really can’t blame Smith for looking elsewhere at this point.

Club needs a big shake up in list management, hopefully Smith defection is the wake up call needed.

Our list management, trading and drafting has been c grade for many years now.

Time to wake up and review the whole department- it has been underpeforming for years now.

Complacency has well and truly settled at Hawthorn since 3 peat folks.

Is Smith confirmed? I haven't seen anything yet but people speaking as if it is in here
This.

Read the last 5 posts, and it has apparently happened.

Has it been confirmed, or are people jumping the gun?

Bit of a flog move from smith , took geelongs 2 year offer over ours. That won’t sit well within the playing/staff group. All the worst at the retirement village you campaigner.

Where has this been confirmed?

Last edited:
Can't deny that it wouldn't be a bad look for us if Smith was to leave us for Geelong. But I can't blame him, it's just indicative of where both clubs are at currently.

Smith isn't going to be a part of our next premiership push IMO, so right now my biggest concern is actually getting something for him should he end up leaving.

The other consideration is who are we actually going to be spending our cap on? How will we hit the 95% threshold.
The latter point I find really confusing. There is talk about Hawthorn not overpaying for recruits. The only alternative with a list like ours is to overpay existing mediocre players just to hit the threshold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club needs a big shake up in list management, hopefully Smith defection is the wake up call needed.

Our list management, trading and drafting has been c grade for many years now.

Time to wake up and review the whole department- it has been underpeforming for years now.

Complacency has well and truly settled at Hawthorn since 3 peat folks.

i agree a lot of things haven't worked out but to call it complacency is a bit of a reach

we've gone after many high-name recruits who chose other clubs. we've also traded in a number of high-profile players (for better or worse) as well as moneyball options that seem to be good value gets going forward

we haven't sat on our ass twiddling our thumbs. our strategy was actually rather unique — topping up after a period of extreme success without falling down the ladder and going for a traditional rebuild. geelong are the only other team to have tried this (and they have been more successful than we have).

we've made a lot of moves, some of them haven't worked out. that's what happens. you can criticise our list management and decision making and you wouldn't be incorrect to do so, however to say that we are complacent is surely a fabrication

I also hope he stays, but if Isaac decides to leave the club, I think we should be targeting magpie winger/forward
Tom Phillips as a replacement.

Phillips was named the AFL Rising Star nominee for round 9 of the 2017 season, after gathering 24 disposals in Collingwood's comeback win over Hawthorn at the MCG. In the 2018 season, Phillips was selected by the AFL Players Association for the 22 Under 22 team.

The 24-year old averaged 25.6 disposals and 5.5 marks over the 2018 and 2019 campaigns combined. He is going at 15.1 disposals and 2.5 marks this season, albeit in shortened quarters.

Geelong were keen on acquiring Phillips last year, but the midfielder was not willing to entertain a trade.

With the Pies managing a tight salary cap and looking to re-sign Jordan De Goey and Brody Mihocek, Phillips’ name could well come up in trade discussions again.

Mind boggling list management decisions by the club over the last 3 or so years. Hartigan 3 years, Patton 3 years, Ceglar 3 years, Scully 4 years, but Issac Smith, one of the best pure wings can’t get more than 2. And it isn’t a salary cap issue. I really can’t blame Smith for looking elsewhere at this point.

Isn't interesting when someone takes a half a decade out of context.

I kind understand why somebody wants to be a flat-earther, when it doesn't have anything to do with logic or science. You just need attention and secondly something doesn't feel right so latch to anything that fits a narrative of why the world is wrong.

Hartigan is only 2 years and Patton was on a very reduced contract which is why we gave him the extra year.

Ceglar was 28 years old and lest be honest here was one of the better 2nd rucks in the comp at the time. He went backwards this year alarmingly.

Looking at it objectively it is no where near as bad as the picture you are painting.

Phillips as an option is ok, but I’d be waiting until near the end of the trade period to finalise anything. Let the Pies know we’d be willing to take him as a salary dump, but not pay much.
If they can’t shift Treloar, they might find ditching Phillips for a third or fourth rounder more palatable near the end of the trade period.

Get the angst about Smith potentially joining Geelong .
But why waste energy worrying about it when it hasn't even happened yet ?

As good as he is and has been he isn't playing in our next flag and he wont be playing in one at his 'new' home if he leaves.

If he stays happy days if he leaves move on

Hi Isaac come and be an inside midfielder in the twilight of your career on our postage stamp footy ground, it will be great for your body and suits your playing style.

Hey Isaac we think we can turn you into someone that wins the hard ball on Kardinia Park 😂

Hartigan is only 2 years and Patton was on a very reduced contract which is why we gave him the extra year.

Ceglar was 28 years old and lest be honest here was one of the better 2nd rucks in the comp at the time. He went backwards this year alarmingly.

Looking at it objectively it is no where near as bad as the picture you are painting.

Have you seen Hartigan play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back