Then looked perplexed and decided to leave "isn't this the Blues?"
View attachment 968113
Decided to settle on disgusted, I mean sky vermin
View attachment 968115
Pondered leaving the coop
View attachment 968119
But no one cared enough to show up
View attachment 968123

i will never forget at the time of picking a new coach when he was in the running before Richo got the job, that he hung the saints out to dry

That was the game which got my wife hooked, and created a Saintly, face-painted, game-day craving monster :drunk:
Nothing better than getting the other half hooked.

My wife had never heard of Aussie Rules before we met 10 years ago.

Fast-forward to a couple of weeks back, while we were watching the Eagles and I hear from the other side of the couch “I love the Saints.”

I felt very proud and realized I had chosen my wife wisely as well ❤️.

i will never forget at the time of picking a new coach when he was in the running before Richo got the job, that he hung the saints out to dry
think you'll find that any hanging out to dry on that one was to a legend. Poorly handled by the club.

think you'll find that any hanging out to dry on that one was to a legend. Poorly handled by the club.
nup, i don't agree. i read the newspapers at the time. . At that time, Harvey could have spoken up, but he left the club to hang out to dry, not the other way round.

Transformers. Great times had there.

The Tea Party played there quite a few times as did Jimmy Barnes

Please excuse the intrusion. Very rare poster and also a Dogs fan. But grew up in bayside and looking forward to this final big time. Couldn’t resist chipping in as someone who used to spend every Friday night at Mentone pub and then Transformers. You’re bringing back good memories....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nothing better than getting the other half hooked.

My wife had never heard of Aussie Rules before we met 10 years ago.

Fast-forward to a couple of weeks back, while we were watching the Eagles and I hear from the other side of the couch “I love the Saints.”

I felt very proud and realized I had chosen my wife wisely as well ❤.
I was just ruminating on some similarities between the saints and marriage today…

Lured in with youthful lust and the promise of a great future, you think that incredible conversion rate and repeat entries will last forever…

nek minnit… you're wondering who was in charge of those early draft periods and why you've barely kicked a goal in years.

Those grand finals are a distant memory and you're hiding in the shed drinking home made bourbons with your dog, pretending to work on that vintage car for a grandson that hasn't even been conceived yet.

But at the end of the day, you'll butter up for more despite being treated with absolute disdain at times by them and also costing you an arm and a leg financially, because… this is your life - saints person.

Last final I went to was the drawn 2010.
Still have heartburn at the thought.
I need a few good experiences to get over the trauma
C’mon saints help the healing
Honestly left that game before half time, it was that obvious we were off & going to get spanked. Was so dejected I couldn't sit there and watch.
The horror! Still have the PTSD flashbacks.

Last final I was at was also the drawn grand final but that’s not the 1 that stings me. 09 grand final hurts more then any other game I’ve been to. I remember sitting there as Geelong did a lap of honour with tears strolling down my face. Really did a number on me hate to think what it did to the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Transformers. Great times had there.

The Tea Party played there quite a few times as did Jimmy Barnes

Oh my god...memories. The 90's were largely seen with bloodshot eyes, and heavily dilated pupils for me, but I remember it. On a sidenote, does anyone remember the name of the alternative/metal night at the Metro back in the day? Goo jumps into my head, but not sure.

Last final I was at was also the drawn grand final but that’s not the 1 that stings me. 09 grand final hurts more then any other game I’ve been to. I remember sitting there as Geelong did a lap of honour with tears strolling down my face. Really did a number on me hate to think what it did to the players.

I got very drunk and intolerable that day. Same again a year later. It was like watching a wave full of hope and potential break twice.

I got very drunk and intolerable that day. Same again a year later. It was like watching a wave full of hope and potential break twice.
09 was the worst thing in the history of the universe. I'd rather live through the entire year of 2020 15 times in a row rather than that day again.

******* cats. I hope their stupid stadium burns down.

Me too. Had flown from London and arrived mid-morning on the day of the GF. Met by my best mate (who has since died) and we went to have a brunch. Then wended our way to the game. I was shattered after the final siren. That night I was sad, jet-lagged, angry.....you name it. Never really got over it. Honestly think the grief of those three GF's contributed to my heart troubles. I'm not kidding.

Try to keep things a bit calmer these days. Love it when we win....bit ECO when we don't.

2010 prelim for me.

Wouldn’t think sitting there that would be our last final win until now hopefully 10 years later..

4:02 onwards - BJ to Roo with a signature kick & lead triggering bro

Last edited:
Oh my god...memories. The 90's were largely seen with bloodshot eyes, and heavily dilated pupils for me, but I remember it. On a sidenote, does anyone remember the name of the alternative/metal night at the Metro back in the day? Goo jumps into my head, but not sure.
Goo is correct.. there used to be a wicked cover band that played there every Thursday .. I think they were called Grunt?.
They used to play a lot of "Tool" songs. Unbelievable.

The Back end of 2008 was great, Jason Blake shitting all over the hawks, The murder of essendon, Finals win vs the Pies,

It reminded me so much of 2003 where we lost games to Geelong, Richmond and Melbourne (who all finished below us) and that cost us finals. Then in 2004 we just exploded as the young group of Roo, Milne, Lenny etc took ownership.

If Steele, RoMa, Jones, Butler etc can take that next step up in 2021 then boy oh boy wowee...

I've said it plenty of times: Harvs is an awesome bloke and his 1 on 1 training would be phenomenal but as a line coach he just isn't great. He has a job at the Pies for as long as Buckley is there because Bucks sees him as the GOAT and just wants him around all the time.

Every midfield group he has taken over has improved after he left.

It reminded me so much of 2003 where we lost games to Geelong, Richmond and Melbourne (who all finished below us) and that cost us finals. Then in 2004 we just exploded as the young group of Roo, Milne, Lenny etc took ownership.

If Steele, RoMa, Jones, Butler etc can take that next step up in 2021 then boy oh boy wowee...
I felt the same after the WC game and posted that this year had a bit of 2003 vibe about it . A couple more smart trades in the off season and I feel we will have all the pillars in place to consistently match it with the best teams in the competition.

I felt the same after the WC game and posted that this year had a bit of 2003 vibe about it . A couple more smart trades in the off season and I feel we will have all the pillars in place to consistently match it with the best teams in the competition.

It's really hard to know where we sit still. I've been our harshest critic when it comes to list management but I was thinking the other day. The Dogs won a premiership with a list that wasn't much more than what we have now if at all. They were youth heavy with a lot of quality in the youngest group and a lot of older journeymen and GOPs.

The Tigers in 2017 were not even widely tipped to make the 8. Dusty had really come on around that time and was a star but their next best were Rance and JRoo. They were hardly a coveted list until they achieved what they did. Both sides were largely system driven sides able to carry a few okay players. We could do that.

Lists get a lot more respect once they win and GOP become guns with a medal around their necks.

It's really hard to know where we sit still. I've been our harshest critic when it comes to list management but I was thinking the other day. The Dogs won a premiership with a list that wasn't much more than what we have now if at all. They were youth heavy with a lot of quality in the youngest group and a lot of older journeymen and GOPs.

The Tigers in 2017 were not even widely tipped to make the 8. Dusty had really come on around that time and was a star but their next best were Rance and JRoo. They were hardly a coveted list until they achieved what they did. Both sides were largely system driven sides able to carry a few okay players. We could do that.

Lists get a lot more respect once they win and GOP become guns with a medal around their necks.

Against GWS it struck me that the Saints generally seemed to know where their teammates would be without looking. Not so much GWS.
That was how we worked it out of the congestion better than they did.

Moving to the right places. Structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back