Walker was a high 2nd rounder.Full credit to Shaw doing this. It's a several year plan and coaches don't normally get several years. He has put his career and reputation on the line.
If we hit a million injuries again it may be a similar tough year and we need to acknowledge the brave decisions made now.
and when we can realistically expect a move up the ladder.
Must go for youth through the draft and avoid 25 year old list cloggers. McKay was pick 20 odd and Walker was for nothing. The Lions got Lyons, now an elite mid fielder, again for nothing There is often hidden value in the draft that a nuanced hand can grab but I cannot see us in the finals for three/four years. So go young.
Majak wasn't crueled by injury 57 games in 11 seasons...... take one season away for recent situation that means 57 for 10 seasons where Scott took 9 years to work out he's a defender.Brutal, but necessary. This is start proper, of the Rhyce/Brady era and what it may bring.
Sad to see Maj go, but the reasoning behind all these cuts is solid. Either aging (Macmillan, Pittard), unfulfilled (Wood, Ahern), cruelled by injury (Maj, Jacobs) or just not up to the level (Crocker, Hosie).
Appreciate their efforts, and wish them all well for the future.
We're not going to die wondering under this regime, the Scott/Joyce era is now truly dead.
No they weren't.I reckon you're rewriting history ferbs. Jed's first 2 years with us were terrible, against any measure.
There is a reason he got the number three.It’s all good
I think we paid overs at the time, always questions with someone like that
he’s been a handy player though, not the worst but hoping other players will overtake him
Love his aggression
I agree with a lot of what you say Horace and did think it was pretty brutal, however I will give the club credit for some things.I imagine that I will be very much in the minority here, but, I have to say that I think that the club has been far too heavy handed.
No doubt there needed to be changes but 11 players less than 24 hours after our season has finished. Breathtakingly ruthless. Having said that I suspect that a few of the players had already been told. Sammy Durdin's reaction at the end of the game last night told me he knew that was his last game.
In my opinion, this cull has been done without making sufficient allowance for some matters that have impacted on our clubs performance this year, being our horrendous injury list (the worst in the league as I understand it), this most bizarre of years as a result of the pandemic, shorter quarters, teams living in interstate hubs, no ability to field a reserves/VFL side to provide match practice/a form guide for fringe players, our club's decision to go early and announce that we will not field a VFL team next year and of course the AFL's desire to reduce the size of lists.
Yes nearly every club has had to contend with all of those factors, except for the injury list, which sets us a little apart and the decision to axe the VFL team
Early in the season some commentators were saying that this will be a year, where some clubs will capitalise on the these unique circumstances, while others will struggle badly and it seems that it is our club that has drawn the shortest straw here.
My view is that in light of all these quite extraordinary circumstances, we should have gone down a more conservative path and acted only after all other 9 clubs outside the top 8 have finished their year. That is just a few days away, being next Tuesday. It didn't have to happen in one explosive punch, it could have waited a little while and maybe even been done over two years rather than one. Some of these boys might have had a chance of redemption had they been given the opportunity. I think Jasper, Jamie and Tom, have been very hard done by. Just my opinion so no need for anyone to jump on board and tell me how wrong I am. Its my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
I wonder if any other club has ever axed a quarter of the list in one brutal cut?
But what does this mean for our club in the weeks ahead? I think these are some of the possibilities that might arise.
How will the morale and respect for the club be affected, by those players still out of contract, or have other clubs looking to see if they can entice a player to seek a trade while contracted? This is, when it is all said and done a workplace; and when similarly savage cuts are made in some workplaces, some workers say "Hey I've got an offer to go elsewhere with greater security. If they can do that to so and so, maybe they will do that to me some day soon, I'm off".
Similarly with free agents looking to change their clubs, their managers, may say, "Well North looked like a good option and their offer is a little better, but, I no longer feel as comfortable as I did when I first suggested you should have a look at North as your next club". If I was a player manager I would certainly be reconsidering recommending North as a desirable next generation place to be. Again just my opinion.
And of course this may not be the end of the cull. There could still be more. We could see up to a third of the list replaced next year, in which case it will be name tags on everyone when the pre-season commences.
Clearly the coach, the list manager and coaching staff to a lesser extent have the right to make these calls. However, they also need to step up and do better. Barring an even worse set of circumstances next year, they all must take responsibility and if next year is not at least half a dozen spots higher on the ladder, then they should probably also consider the direction of their careers. And again just my opinion
He has to go home given season finished so cheapest way for AFL is to include on same flightWest Australian reported today about Kyron flying home on the same plane as WC, of course he is as good as signed by WC if you believe the supporters. That's how easy rumour's build, good for a laugh