Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

So here's a question regarding our rucking situation if everyone is fit.
Can the Swans fit both Naismith and Sinclair in the same side if Reid, Franklin and McCartin are all fit?
My thoughts are that if Franklin is missing then yes you could play both as Sinclair could play at full forward with McCartin and Reid across half forward.
If Franklin plays then our forward line is too tall and you'd only play the one ruck with Reid providing the chop out in the ruck.
More than likely we won't be faced with the problem bacause of injury but I think it's an interesting dilemma.

Assuming full fitness, I'm not discounting the possibility that Reid loses his place in the 22 this year. I think it's unlikely (because he's certainly a best 22 player imo and is well loved by Longmire) but I think playing two established ruckmen will prove to be the way to go this year. It's how the rest of the league is turning, apart from if you have a Gawn or Grundy. And I think the coaches will want to get as far away from the dregs of last year when we had to play the likes of Aliir, McLean and Fox as our rucks. You can't afford that in the current game imo.

I think the defence will be pretty consistent this year with Rampe, Aliir and one of Brand/Melican/Maibaum. I think McCartin will further establish himself as a forward this year and if Sinclair is picked as a 70-30 kind of forward/ruck, Reid could well find himself battling for a position.

Can the Swans fit both Naismith and Sinclair in the same side if Reid, Franklin and McCartin are all fit?
My thoughts are that if Franklin is missing then yes you could play both as Sinclair could play at full forward with McCartin and Reid across half forward.
If Franklin plays then our forward line is too tall and you'd only play the one ruck with Reid providing the chop out in the ruck.
More than likely we won't be faced with the problem bacause of injury but I think it's an interesting dilemma.

If Buddy is out then yes. If Buddy is in then no.

Sinclair is very replaceable as a forward. Unless we're playing St Kilda. He loves them.

Assuming full fitness, I'm not discounting the possibility that Reid loses his place in the 22 this year. I think it's unlikely (because he's certainly a best 22 player imo and is well loved by Longmire) but I think playing two established ruckmen will prove to be the way to go this year. It's how the rest of the league is turning, apart from if you have a Gawn or Grundy. And I think the coaches will want to get as far away from the dregs of last year when we had to play the likes of Aliir, McLean and Fox as our rucks. You can't afford that in the current game imo.

I think the defence will be pretty consistent this year with Rampe, Aliir and one of Brand/Melican/Maibaum. I think McCartin will further establish himself as a forward this year and if Sinclair is picked as a 70-30 kind of forward/ruck, Reid could well find himself battling for a position.

Not before time either.

Been puzzling this one myself. I think Naismith needs a few games in reserves and we will start with just Sinkers + Reid and a smaller forward line with Reid, McCartin, Papley, Gray, Hayward and Heeney. Starting Blakey on a wing but moved forward if we need more marking power.
When Franklin returns could move Heeney back into the midfield and run taller.
The hardest decision will be what to do when Naismith is 100%. My guess is we stick with one ruck and Sinkers gets dropped.
Perhaps injuries might make it easier.

Assuming no Franklin, I don't mind having Reid CHF floating up and Sinclair as the FF. Naismith rucking

We will need two rucks this year, especially when Naismith is coming off injuries, he can't ruck all day long

We will need two rucks this year, especially when Naismith is coming off injuries, he can't ruck all day long
I agree and personally, I think having Sinclair in the side as a forward option as well can help cover Franklin and allow AA to stay as a backman

I agree and personally, I think having Sinclair in the side as a forward option as well can help cover Franklin and allow AA to stay as a backman

I’d honestly play him ahead of Reid even when Franklin is fit. Sinclair is as good a forward in my view and he’s a better relief ruck than Reid is

Reid is still a much better player than mccartin.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Assuming no Franklin, I don't mind having Reid CHF floating up and Sinclair as the FF. Naismith rucking
Even with a fit Franklin I want Reid at CHF. Franklin is good enough to bring into the midfield at times or play FF as well (obviously play CHF at times too) that he can offer something wherever he is in attack

Horse wasn’t happy with Reid last year

read some of the articles

mzybf not a favourite anymore

Mccartin better

100% agree and especially as we are in a tradition, it's critical to play McCartin. He'll learn so much from Franklin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here are the stats comparison at roughly the same age (Reid’s 2011 year verse McCartin’s 2019).
Maybe McCartin will develop further than Reid by the end of is career but at this stage they were similar.

View attachment 826062

I don't bother with stats. Only relevant stat is Reid's 28 goals from 22 games despite being injury-free and in the prime of his career. Not good enough at all IMO.

I would go two rucks to reduce the workload on Naismith. It would also give opportunities for Mclean, Amartey and Knoll to develop if they get the occasional game as second ruck.

I would have Reid as our main full forward. It is too much pressure on McCartin to be the main full forward and have to anchor the forward line and kick goals every week. At the monent he gets to play a simple bit role with low expectations.

reid was promising back then, never kicked on imo

McCartin might end up the same who knows
I want to see McCartin in the midfield.

Really.

Big unit who has now got some age. One of his touted features was his tank. Whack him in there and see what happens. Use him and JPK as resting forwards. JPK can take a mark and kick a goal and is also hell hard on defensive work.

Be fascinated to see what would happen.

And let's face it - Tom cannot make it worse on the inside than it already is. If he has the tank, given the way Horse plays the side, he would be great in there I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back