List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Why do we need to trade out players? What's the benefit to Fremantle? So we can make our list even younger by replacing them with 18 year olds?
Agree with this. We’ve done enough trading. Hit the draft and keep what we have. If someone like Zac Fisher wants to come then his speed and outside run is beneficial. Perhaps Connor Blakely might want out for more opportunities.

Watching and listening to Cox last night I can’t imagine him leaving but that won’t stop clubs trying. If he was to go I would expect a good deal and for us to go hard at a KPD like Sam Taylor. We can’t rely on Logue, Hamling and APearce.

I'm a fan of Brennan Cox but nobody is offering him a godfather offer. FFS you lot all drunk tonight? Admittedly you'd need to have been to get through that Adelaide v Pies game.
You could say the same thing regarding the other McGovern, crazy money, and with a
Draft that is compromised?
Pick 2 for Weller, we live in strange times.
Compared to Fogarty, Cox has shown plenty, he is worthy of a second rounder, but worth
More than that to us.

Would you be happy for Cox to leave (demand a trade) and keep the rest of the talls?

Cox’s manager asks Bell and JL “ Is my client in the best 22?”

If we are being honest no but there is a good chance that he will play majority of the season due to injuries and Rotations of players.
With doubts over the long term fitness of Alex Pearce with the repeated injury and to a lesser extent Hamling its a safe bet that the club would tell him that they see him as a key part of the clubs future and convince him to stay.

Its really interesting because whether we like it or not, every good team has at least one player who first role to pressure like crazy. If everyone's available, you likely have to squeeze out one of Sturt, Henry, Henry or Lobb (offensive first players) to play the likes of Crowden, Schultz or Switta (defensive first players).

Sturt, Walters and Henry offer plenty of pressure and pace. The issue is fitting Lobb Hogan Fyfe and Tabs in the same forward line.

I agree you do need that defensive minded player in the forward line. Pav always performed better with MDB in the team.

The wing is where we can add some extra pressure and pace. Both Henry and Sturt could easily get pushed up on a wing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Trading Cox is madness. He keeps on playing like he has and he will be in front of Hamling next year. He legitimately looked like he had the makings of an future AA backMan last night

Hamlings Achilles is his disposal. Cox has an elite field kick. Logue and Cox as 2/3 tall defender would work a treat

My preferred backline moving forward
Pearce Cox Logue
Ryan Wilson Young
Hughes on bench

Ps Hughes better keep an eye over his shoulder as Walker is coming

Trading Cox is madness. He keeps on playing like he has and he will be in front of Hamling next year. He legitimately looked like he had the makings of an future AA backMan last night

Hamlings Achilles is his disposal. Cox has an elite field kick. Logue and Cox as 2/3 tall defender would work a treat

My preferred backline moving forward
Pearce Cox Logue
Ryan Wilson Young
Hughes on bench

Ps Hughes better keep an eye over his shoulder as Walker is coming

That's a silky looking backline..

That's a silky looking backline..

That’s putting it very generously.

This board has gone crazy. Cox plays a good game and suddenly he’s better than Hamling and a proven A grade defender. Cox played a really good game, I hope he keeps it going, but it’s ridiculous how overrated he is within 24 hours and embarrassing how underrated and forgotten Hamling is now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This board has gone crazy. Cox plays a good game and suddenly he’s better than Hamling and a proven A grade defender. Cox played a really good game, I hope he keeps it going, but it’s ridiculous how overrated he is within 24 hours and embarrassing how underrated and forgotten Hamling is now.

I agree that Joel Hamling is a gun defender but until we see otherwise - I am a more effective key back than he is.

Hamling won't be standing any opponent from the couch if he isn't able to run.

The same goes for Alex Pearce, except he is running again.

Cox was aa chb in the u 18s, hes young and finally being played in his aa position, its not surprising that people are noticing. The one thing in his favour is he seems more resilient than pearce .

Cox was aa chb in the u 18s, hes young and finally being played in his aa position, its not surprising that people are noticing. The one thing in his favour is he seems more resilient than pearce .
I remember having this discussion on here about Cox & the possibility of him playing back because of his 18’s carnival form.
Quite a few punters said he was too slow, not enough intensity & wouldn’t make it as a key defender & had to continue to play forward.
Anyone willing to put their hand up & say they might be wrong?

Hamling and Pearce being injured might be a blessing in disguise. Foot skills out of the backline are essential. The easiest players to find space against is the key forward, they don’t chase as well and aren’t nearly as agile as medium and small forwards. The key back has the opportunity to work off and run into space. Luke Ryan is redefining the role. His best work is stationed deep, intercepting and rebounding with purpose. We struggle to transition out of the backline at times the last few years. By having someone capable at the last line of delivering a 50m pass we seem to transition much better. In dry weather it should improve even further.

If Hogan can transition to a key back, that’s some elite foot skills coming out of the backline, I’m pretty positive about this move.

Eagles went through a similar transition when Eric McKenzie and some other tall back did knees. McGovern burst onto the scene and they never went back to the poor kicking leg backs.

In saying that I’m hopeful that both Hamling and A.Pearce get back, and perhaps improve their kicking.

Trading Cox is idiocy, there is no assurance that Hamling will get back at this stage.

Dare I say it, I ave a feeling Cox could even go past Hamling, he's definitely more creative by foot and his defensive work is getting better. Playing alongside Pearce and Logue will also raise his game another level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamling and Pearce being injured might be a blessing in disguise. Foot skills out of the backline are essential. The easiest players to find space against is the key forward, they don’t chase as well and aren’t nearly as agile as medium and small forwards. The key back has the opportunity to work off and run into space. Luke Ryan is redefining the role. His best work is stationed deep, intercepting and rebounding with purpose. We struggle to transition out of the backline at times the last few years. By having someone capable at the last line of delivering a 50m pass we seem to transition much better. In dry weather it should improve even further.

If Hogan can transition to a key back, that’s some elite foot skills coming out of the backline, I’m pretty positive about this move.

Eagles went through a similar transition when Eric McKenzie and some other tall back did knees. McGovern burst onto the scene and they never went back to the poor kicking leg backs.

In saying that I’m hopeful that both Hamling and A.Pearce get back, and perhaps improve their kicking.
Still think we need Alex Pearce to handle the monster key forwards. The likes of Hawkins, Tom Lynch, Charlie Dixon. An elite 200cm key defender who can nullify those kind of guys is priceless. I’m not sure any of our others can do that.

Still think we need Alex Pearce to handle the monster key forwards. The likes of Hawkins, Tom Lynch, Charlie Dixon. An elite 200cm key defender who can nullify those kind of guys is priceless. I’m not sure any of our others can do that.
The idea of trading Pearce was just Riewoldt trying to invent something to say, it would be complete stupidity to trade him
a) We'll get no where near what he is worth ability wise since he's injured too much
b) You just know that whoever takes him will finally fix his body and we'll look completely stupid
c) Like you said, we have no one else you'd feel comfortable playing the monster forwards

I think we would be monumentally stupid to trade any of our current crop of talls, regardless of what one or other media head is saying to remain relevant.

Last year we finished the season with just Lobb and Sandi (from memory)

This year we have two forwards filling in down back (one of those been out most of the season)

Just wow.

If those two have shown enough development in the coming months that they are getting first round bids then we should be partying and not worrying about next year's draft.

One or two pick downgrade for an extra first round pick is definitely worth it.

edit - are people not comprehending we roughly got Henry for a two pick downgrade? A top 10 pick for downgrading a pick by two spots! Even if they could have reduced the deficit to zero (which they couldn't other than in imaginary BigFooty world or where they'd have to take big risks) it's not massively different outcome (which is probably why they didn't take those risks). But you can also set your clock to the complainers turning into hindsight heroes next year when whoever is taken with our original pick does anything semi good (probably them looking good at training will bump the melt thread).

The other thing being ignored with the “should have bid on Green” narrative is that if we do that we tell Caleb that he wasn’t our top choice at that pick.

I didn’t think much of that element until I talked to a player manager I know and also heard the Geelong recruiting head on The Road to the Draft podcast last year. Players and managers notice it so why do it unless you actually want the player?

Many had Serong rated higher than Green, why piss about when we had our guy on a plate?

The other thing being ignored with the “should have bid on Green” narrative is that if we do that we tell Caleb that he wasn’t our top choice at that pick.

I didn’t think much of that element until I talked to a player manager I know and also heard the Geelong recruiting head on The Road to the Draft podcast last year. Players and managers notice it so why do it unless you actually want the player?

Many had Serong rated higher than Green, why piss about when we had our guy on a plate?

If you couldn’t clear that up with a 15 second convo “ sorry to make you wait mate we had to bid on player X to try to reduce our points deficit “ then your not much chop in the management stakes I’d say

If you couldn’t clear that up with a 15 second convo “ sorry to make you wait mate we had to bid on player X to try to reduce our points deficit “ then your not much chop in the management stakes I’d say

Yes but what you're forgetting there is that they would also have to have added "in case Carlton was planning to bid on Henry at the next pick and also we were 100% sure GWS would match...". It would have seemed a bit flimsy. It only seems obvious in hindsight because Carlton DID bid on Henry.

Yes but what you're forgetting there is that they would also have to have added "in case Carlton was planning to bid on Henry at the next pick and also we were 100% sure GWS would match...". It would have seemed a bit flimsy. It only seems obvious in hindsight because Carlton DID bid on Henry.
At the very least, they would have known that Carlton had some interest in Liam (given we knew that).

Trading Cox is idiocy, there is no assurance that Hamling will get back at this stage.

Dare I say it, I ave a feeling Cox could even go past Hamling, he's definitely more creative by foot and his defensive work is getting better. Playing alongside Pearce and Logue will also raise his game another level

He is still very young. And was even younger (obviously) in previous years when people were bagging him as a KPF. I'm neither here nor there on how good he will be, but the facts are that most KPP don't hit their straps until they are a lot older than Cox. People have continually forgotten this and judged him like he was 25. Hamling played his first game in Fremantle colours when he was 2 years older than Cox is now.

At the very least, they would have known that Carlton had some interest in Liam (given we knew that).
We knew they had an interest in one or both of Young and Serong. I fully believe they bid on Henry first out of spite for us trading up past them. I find it a little difficult to believe they rated Henry so far above Green as to justify bidding on Henry first. Their highest ranked clearance player who is not named Patrick Cripps, a ruckman or aged over 30 is averaging 2.9 per game!

We knew they had an interest in one or both of Young and Serong. I fully believe they bid on Henry first out of spite for us trading up past them. I find it a little difficult to believe they rated Henry so far above Green as to justify bidding on Henry first. Their highest ranked clearance player who is not named Patrick Cripps, a ruckman or aged over 30 is averaging 2.9 per game!

TBF with Carlton's failure to secure Papley or Martin at the trade table I can fully believe they were willing to grab Henry instead of Green due to needing a small forward.

They have already stated that put a bid to give them time to trade pick to the Suns.
Did they admit that they were bitterly disappointed to miss out on both their targets in Young and Serong first and it left them fumbling for options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back