List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No to Gibbs. I really don't see him being a best 22 player anymore. 32yo before next season starts and his form has declined at the Crows, to an alarming extent.
Whatever the reason for his departure (wife's request, personal issues, moved on by Blues, etc), what would have changed so drastically in 2 years that it suits all parties for him to return?
Would have rather kept Daisy. Wish him the best but the only reason I'd want him is to taunt the Crows.

Gov isn't a KPP.
You'd have an extremely quick FF (Charlie) and CHF (Harry), with a mobile key forward/backup ruck in Levi.

Don't worry about how the opposition are going to move the ball out of their defence. Let them worry about how they're going to get anywhere near the ball against what will be the best marking forwardline in the League.

I just disagree with all of that sorry, which is fine. Yes, those boys are reasonably nimble and athletic but I just think it's far too top heavy and would kill our rotations as explained.

I think what we do is to confine CCurnow and McGovern as solely KPP's
They can play key positions, but not limited in doing so. They're a lot more flexible than that.

What that post did demonstrate is that only three of those talls require to be on the ground at any one time.
There may be a little overlap here or there, but it doesn't have to be so much and even if there was.....so what?
I don't see the harm and particularly so, should one of our KPD's go down. Casboult could also relieve Jones if we need.

We used to put too many talls on the park, but right now I only see the ruckman, Casboult, Jones and Weitering in being genuine talls.

I think I've explained the 'so what' in my post that you quoted. It would simply put too much pressure on our rotations with respect to the midfielders and rotation players elsewhere. I simply think it makes us too top heavy.

No matter how agile you guys think any of them are, none of them are roving types when the ball is on the deck. They are adept at it yes (maybe bar Levi) but I just think it's too big. We can't be playing them as insurance that someone gets injured either.

Just my take on it though guys!

I honestly think we might need trade one of them. however casboult is 30 so you wouldnt think he has that much left. Interesting to see what happens. Good problem to have.

Casboult is a RFA, so no ability to trade nor would any compensation come our way.
I can't see the point of wanting Casboult moved on now and especially so given Kreuzer's ongoing injury issues.

Where do you think him lining up would have the opposition most sh*t themselves?
Mids would back themselves. There wouldn't be a Full Back in the League that would want to line up on him.

Yes.....all that needs to be said.

Casboult is a RFA, so no ability to trade nor would any compensation come our way.
I can't see the point of wanting Casboult moved on now and especially so given Kreuzer's ongoing injury issues.

Yes.....all that needs to be said.
sorry wasnt meaning to say trade casboult. Was meaning to say explore trading one of the others but at the same time be careful cause casboult is towards the end

I still like Charlie in the midfield.

I would like him playing that Gunston role, mobile forward that rotates around the ground.

My preference for a forward line is still two true KPP with the rest being mobile forwards.

McKay and Levi - KPP
Curnow, Betts, Gibbons, Philp, Martin....

McGovern would be my first preference to miss out due to team balance.
You could then allow Curnow/Cripps to act as that second tall when Levi is rucking.

McGovern has really improved this year and probably justifying his contract. Without Charlie and Harry last week, we still had a very strong forwardline.

McGovern is probably our best passer of the big forwards.

Based on our needs, the draft assets and salary cap would have been better used elsewhere though.

Between him Charlie and McKay we look to have 2-2.5 mil per year.

This is not to mention guys like Casboult, TDK and at the time of trade, even Kerr who are serviceable enough.

Even Kennedy and JSOS at a pinch.

We don't trade in a vacuum and while I wouldn't advocate for trading him now, I daresay the equivalent draft assets of pick 13 and $700-800k per year could have landed or helped to land Papley or another area or need.

As much as I'd love papley I think our priority is a another A grade midfielder ie Gaff like
I personally wound be throwing everything at Degoey with the promise to play him more midfield and there's no way Collingwood can afford to pay him what we could

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Says who!

I don't think we (or anyone else) will get him because Brisbane will cough up, he is their marquee player and they would be nuts to let him walk...

We would have to be the favourite outside of Brisbane though. We have his mentor Betts, mates Teague and McGovern as well as Martin, SPS and Jones as other indigenous boys. He fits our needs/wants to an absolute tee as well, we would be more than keen.

We have the cash, he plays a position of need for us, he's the right age and he's a gun. Ticks every box.

Where do you think him lining up would have the opposition most sh*t themselves?
Mids would back themselves. There wouldn't be a Full Back in the League that would want to line up on him.

'Charlie to the midfield', 'Marchbank to the wing'...

I'm really not sold on these ideas at all. Charlie has already shown to be one of, if not the most exciting KPF prospects in the league before injures struck...that's where he plays. Why would you play him anywhere else? As you said all defenders would be nervous playing on Charlie.

He hasn't actually shown ability in the midfield at all...it's more than just his size and athleticism, does he have the midfield nous to know where to run and work his way through traffic in 360 degrees? I'd say likely not when matched against the game's best midfielders who have been playing there since juniors.

Ditto Marchbank, while athletic for his size, how would he go against genuine wingers like B Hill & Gaff? I reckon he'd get torched. But he's a pretty damn promising KPD/third tall defender who's a particularly good intercept mark if he gets over his injuries.

As much as I'd love papley I think our priority is a another A grade midfielder ie Gaff like
I personally wound be throwing everything at Degoey with the promise to play him more midfield and there's no way Collingwood can afford to pay him what we could

Have you watched De Goey this year? He's been horrible. Collingwood fans want him dropped to send him a message.

He's too unprofessional and inconsistent to be worth a big contract...big bullet dodge for North. And can the media please stop comparing him to Dusty, he's not even close right now.

For that amount we need to go for someone who has proven to be a consistently good performer.

Have you watched De Goey this year? He's been horrible. Collingwood fans want him dropped to send him a message.

He's too unprofessional and inconsistent to be worth a big contract...big bullet dodge for North. And can the media please stop comparing him to Dusty, he's not even close right now.

For that amount we need to go for someone who has proven to be a consistently good performer.
Your probably right I just don't want another honest average player we need a top line consistent A grader

Gov isn't a KPP.
You'd have an extremely quick FF (Charlie) and CHF (Harry), with a mobile key forward/backup ruck in Levi.

Don't worry about how the opposition are going to move the ball out of their defence. Let them worry about how they're going to get anywhere near the ball against what will be the best marking forwardline in the League.

Gov is the quickest out of them all

Your probably right I just don't want another honest average player we need a top line consistent A grader

Ya exactly but De Goey aint that.

As been talked about heaps already Papley is that...he'd be the second best small forward in the comp behind Cameron. Has been performing at a high level for years now and is only 23. Performing well this year despite Sydney being poor and his request to be traded not going through last year also shows his professionalism. He fills an area of need and we can be confident he'll be a consistent performer for us and immediately make us a better team.

Going by what was said on Footy Crucified last night, he's fallen off a cliff.

I just disagree with all of that sorry, which is fine. Yes, those boys are reasonably nimble and athletic but I just think it's far too top heavy and would kill our rotations as explained.

I think I've explained the 'so what' in my post that you quoted. It would simply put too much pressure on our rotations with respect to the midfielders and rotation players elsewhere. I simply think it makes us too top heavy.

No matter how agile you guys think any of them are, none of them are roving types when the ball is on the deck. They are adept at it yes (maybe bar Levi) but I just think it's too big. We can't be playing them as insurance that someone gets injured either.

Just my take on it though guys!
This I do agree with. Being quick and agile doesn’t make you a good ground ball player.

I agree right now........but reserve the right to amend that opinion. :)

That Swans guy that shall not be named, seems perfect and likely will maintain to be so for us, but I'm not 100% any more, that he be the only answer.

The name Gaff excites me given his contract clause.
Replace Newnes with Gaff and play that out in your mind. Huge difference.

At this stage of the year it's easy for us to say 'why not get both' but being pragmatic, it rarely (if ever) works out that way.
I do though know (?) that a 50/50 slate at the end of the year will leave us in a position of being an attractive destination. We have to keep winning.
Gaff's form would want to be on the mend, but when you first mentioned it I thought it was a great idea. The question becomes, are you getting him because you do not think Newnes or LOB will be long term players in blue and you need the position for him in the ones long term?

See, I think they got Newnes because he becomes someone for LOB to surpass, that he needs to bang down the door and take the position off him. Bringing in Gaff makes that immediately harder to do, rendering LOB permanently behind others in his best position.

Not taking Gaff in case LOB makes it is dumb reasoning, though. Just, as a track watcher (not that there's much of a track to watch at present) do you have any opinions in this area? Do we need to look at another winger in the draft?

Gaff's form would want to be on the mend, but when you first mentioned it I thought it was a great idea. The question becomes, are you getting him because you do not think Newnes or LOB will be long term players in blue and you need the position for him in the ones long term?

See, I think they got Newnes because he becomes someone for LOB to surpass, that he needs to bang down the door and take the position off him. Bringing in Gaff makes that immediately harder to do, rendering LOB permanently behind others in his best position.

Not taking Gaff in case LOB makes it is dumb reasoning, though. Just, as a track watcher (not that there's much of a track to watch at present) do you have any opinions in this area? Do we need to look at another winger in the draft?

Sometimes one just has to bite the bullet, should the opportunity be there.
I haven't yet been convinced that O'Brien will become a Gaff or Smith and as you say, the fact we're preferring Newnes over him now, is for a reason.

If we can attain Gaff, you can't wonder what could have been in the course of time.
I still see some of our young guys being shipped off, should the currency coming back be worthwhile.
This would be prudent list management, given the status of the list. Young is good....winning is better.
Look at the difference a Lachie Neale has made to Brisbane. The whole is better for him.

I will understand should we let go off some youth in order to bring in the right experience. I'd be doing exactly this if charged with List Management.

As an aside: What if Cripps wants to go....home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back