Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

You're talking like they're children though. If a grown man refuses to listen to what he's told to do then that is on him.
As a parent, supervisor or coach you are going to get dumb people.

Ignoring them is not a solution

" hey boss can you help me with this"

"sure when you fix that thing from 2 years ago "

No wonder Fog asked Campo for help

Needs to be two way. Player:coach both invested.

If players nod their head and say all the right things but don't attempt to act on it then it's a waste of both of their times.

It's time better spent with another player.
Sure but ignoring them will only mean they don't come to you for help

If a player nods his head and still doesn't change then there are other methods to utilise - closing them out never works

If a player nods his head and still doesn't change then there are other methods to utilise - closing them out never works
They're not coming to you for help now

Agree. Some players are just time wasters.

They want attention rather than actually having interest in improving, trying new things or altering their game. The needy types. Time burglars.

Oh well, he's Geelong's problem now.

Any chance Nicks' style may have evolved in the last 10 years?

Arguing about second-hand info on his style from way back as an assistant is not likely to be relevant to his current position.

But hey, BigFooty.

I mean who comes on here to speculate and discuss things relevant to the Adelaide Football Club.

Sounds as if this kind of thinking can get out of hand. Be interesting to see how this emerges

Not sure this is ideal either. Feedback to a player is a privilege? Feedback should be constant. The punishment should not be a loss of asking but a game or 3 in the 2s
Other ideas of penalties for unprofessionalism:

Make them go and get a real job as well as play AFL. Each player has to work 20 hours a week for 3 months. They need to get the job themselves, interview and be accountable.

No club food supplied. Players need to make their own lunch each day, bring in their lunchbox, etc.

Always wear the club formal attire to and from training

It's not listening. The player comes to the coach and asks "What can I do?", the coach tells them and the player repeatedly doesn't do it, the player doesn't care, so why would the coach then repeatedly spend extra time with that player if it's just going in one ear and out the other?
The coach should be asking why they aren't doing it...was the delivery of the message right, is what the coach asking beyond what the player can do, is the player not giving a s**t? The action from there depends on the reason

@MRB37’s gossip, if true, is surely applicable to the Port team at that time; and not universal behaviours he would follow at all times

He might not behave the same way if the player was really trying but didn’t understand

He might not behave the same way if the player had a history of implementing feedback but this time was struggling

It could be there was too much feedback overall. Most people struggle to genuinely change more than one thing about themselves at a time.

I reckon it’s pretty wild you went straight to a “bad parenting” analogy

Anyway good parenting includes having boundaries. Therefore this is good parenting. QED

I don’t really like punishment (jetty jumping at 6am etc) as a way of managing people in general

I understand it for players who don’t submit things on time, don’t listen to feedback, don’t follow team rules, etc. The individual is in control of his actions and is solely accountable if they fail.

I really don’t like it for things like losing the contested possession count. Many variables out of the players control. Nothing breeds discontent like being punished for something not your fault.

This preseason: everyone’s having fun.

Last preseason: we’ve listened to the players and there’s more fun.

“Adelaide coach Don Pyke is determined to leave a "disappointing" 2018 season behind and has revealed to members his simple focus for 2019: have fun and enjoy the journey.”

Adelaides Spin football club. They treat us like idiots and haven’t learned that we just want authenticity, not clearly constructed messaging about how much better everything is now that the review had the same findings as they got..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This preseason: everyone’s having fun.

Last preseason: we’ve listened to the players and there’s more fun.

“Adelaide coach Don Pyke is determined to leave a "disappointing" 2018 season behind and has revealed to members his simple focus for 2019: have fun and enjoy the journey.”

Adelaides Spin football club. They treat us like idiots and haven’t learned that we just want authenticity, not clearly constructed messaging about how much better everything is now that the review had the same findings as they got..

At least three common denominators have been removed from 2019-20

Nothing changed from 2018-19, apart from not going to a camp that should have never happened in the first place.

Other ideas of penalties for unprofessionalism:

Make them go and get a real job as well as play AFL. Each player has to work 20 hours a week for 3 months. They need to get the job themselves, interview and be accountable.

No club food supplied. Players need to make their own lunch each day, bring in their lunchbox, etc.

Always wear the club formal attire to and from training
Don’t think u would do it during season...players get pretty beat up on gameday and need sufficient down time.
But Clarko did it a few weeks ago...

I don’t really like punishment (jetty jumping at 6am etc) as a way of managing people in general

I understand it for players who don’t submit things on time, don’t listen to feedback, don’t follow team rules, etc. The individual is in control of his actions and is solely accountable if they fail.

I really don’t like it for things like losing the contested possession count. Many variables out of the players control. Nothing breeds discontent like being punished for something not your fault.
Imo if Nicks has some of Walshes tougher traits in him...that’s a good thing

At least three common denominators have been removed from 2019-20

Nothing changed from 2018-19, apart from not going to a camp that should have never happened in the first place.

Yep, it's pretty clear our upper management wrote 2018 off as a bit of bad luck. Everyone sat there fat, dumb and happy while our 2019 fell apart in front of our eyes.

Several of those same decision makers are still at the club though, which is cause for concern.

Yep, it's pretty clear our upper management wrote 2018 off as a bit of bad luck. Everyone sat there fat, dumb and happy while our 2019 fell apart in front of our eyes.

Several of those same decision makers are still at the club though, which is cause for concern.
They thought 2018 was bad because of injuries, so they reviewed and tried to do something about it. Tick on the technical side of things.

The problem was they forgot about the non-technical issues at the club (i.e. relationships, culture, 'team').
Either
1) They didn't know about it
2) They knew but decided it wasn't that important
3) They knew about it but didn't know how to solve it without sacking a stack of people

I think it was option 3 TBH

It’s hardly lazy, the sport just doesn’t mean as much to them. For the majority AFL is just something fun to watch for 6 months of the year and see their favorite players, I don’t think many of then would even know we have a new coach until the season starts.
I'd be very surprised if that was the case. Even the most casual fan would have heard that we have a new coach. They might not know his name or anything about him but they would know that Pyke isn't our coach anymore.

You're talking like they're children though. If a grown man refuses to listen to what he's told to do then that is on him.
Maybe slightly off topic but even though they’re grown men you have to account for how they are set in their thinking based upon childhood experience.

Junior sport now is an exercise in continuing to blow smoke up every single kids butt, and if you’re not then expect parents to defend their precious princes.

Rising to elite levels and then copping criticism is something they are simply not prepared for

@MRB37’s gossip, if true, is surely applicable to the Port team at that time; and not universal behaviours he would follow at all times

He might not behave the same way if the player was really trying but didn’t understand

He might not behave the same way if the player had a history of implementing feedback but this time was struggling

It could be there was too much feedback overall. Most people struggle to genuinely change more than one thing about themselves at a time.

I reckon it’s pretty wild you went straight to a “bad parenting” analogy

Anyway good parenting includes having boundaries. Therefore this is good parenting. QED
I will say that the information came from someone working at the Power at the time who was heavily involved with the coaches and playing group, so I'd be inclined to believe it was more than gossip.

Also the point was this was extra time they were spending with the players, they were still having the normal feedback process from the coaches, the point was if you wanted the development coaches to invest extra time in you then the expectations on the players was you'd also put in the work to justify it. There was never any mention of players not understanding or being confused, it was simply players not wanting to work on what they were told, either because they couldn't be assed, or because they thought they knew better. That's not to say it was a regular occurrence, there was mentions of players who had worked hard on what Nicks and other development coaches told them, which resulted in those players being called up from the SANFL and performing better than ever in the AFL.

And yes, I would say that this may be a unique case because at the time the standards and Port were so low they had to spend a lot of time with some players making sure they met even the lowest benchmarks the coaches set. I think in our case we would have less of an issue in this regard with our younger players.

According to Frampton he is impressed with worrell. Needs some muscle put on hopefully we see him play a few games this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back