Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Based off my personal knowledge having known Riley from before the Crows through to now.
Seems pretty clear to me.

The questioning was antagonistic. As Peter J pointed out, this seems to occur every time someone offers some info. Yes, this is an anonymous forum and there are some obvious bullshitters on here. But calling out every shared tidbit is tiresome and derailing. Take it with a pinch of salt by all means. But maybe dial back the j'accuse vibe.

Look Dmack has been a great servant of the club, he gets the absolute most out of his talent and body that he has.

But if he plays Rd 1 there are problems.

A: We've broken that GF side up, the mix got close, probably should have done it, but couldn't replicate it. We're building the next push.
B: That next push has a lot of new raw talent behind it, they will be inconsistent, we need to ride it through to a point.
C: 2020 Development is more important than WvL

If DMac is playing Rd1 2020 it means
A: Coaches are looking for Wins over dev
B: They don't want to play young players
C: No substantive changes to our gameday operations.

Dmac has been a great servant, but he should be depth, great to have around the club as he is an ultimate champion of a bloke.

I'm going to disagree with you there. Mackay is not the example of a limited player getting the most out of himself. David is one of, if not the most prominent examples of wasted talent at this club (considering time served).

This is a lad who has the tools to be challenging for AA honours on the outside. Fine leg, is fast enough to break lines, is a genuinely tough player, a team player and is incredibly disciplined. Unfortunately Mackay issue has always been above the ears. All athlete, no footballer. Unfortunately instead of walking away, we kept trying him again and again.

A real should of, could of and would of.

I agree. It's clear that the DJ75 knew him well when they were younger. It is not clear from the OP what their current relationship is, or how well DJ75 knows him now in order to be making those character assessments.
As I said - even putting that aside he gets his question answered. Then comes back again !

I'm going to disagree with you there. Mackay is not the example of a limited player getting the most out of himself. David is one of, if not the most prominent examples of wasted talent at this club (considering time served).

This is a lad who has the tools to be challenging for AA honours on the outside. Fine leg, is fast enough to break lines, is a genuinely tough player, a team player and is incredibly disciplined. Unfortunately Mackay issue has always been above the ears. All athlete, no footballer. Unfortunately instead of walking away, we kept trying him again and again.

have, have, and have ;)

Your not serious are you, we are talking about typical big body Tall forwards who take Contested Marks or bring the ball to the ground,
you know Players Like Lynch, Hawkins, Cox, Dixon, Cameron.

Hawkins is like Tex he can't get off the ground

Lynch Cox and Cameron are nothing like Frampton total different skill level as for Dixon he is a hack that Frampton couldn't displace, what does that tell you

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lynch Cox and Cameron are nothing like Frampton total different skill level as for Dixon he is a hack that Frampton couldn't displace, what does that tell you

That they were trying to justify Dixon's enormous salary: the missing piece. ;)

Different skill levels yes but similar style's tall Contested Players who Play Tall, If Frampton plays he Kicks 40 to 50 Goals,
Again Wait and see. no point in continuing all I am Going to say is, wait and see.

As long as henis used in a shut down role, and not the go to out if defense.

However, we can't just play Brown, Talia, Hartigan/McAsey already down back and expected the ball movement to be different from last year
I’d be rolling Galluci and Milera through there at times but sounds like Gibbs is the first guy but I don’t think he will last long ... we need speed out of there

As long as henis used in a shut down role, and not the go to out if defense.

However, we can't just play Brown, Talia, Hartigan/McAsey already down back and expected the ball movement to be different from last year

If a bloke is being a dick, from now on he is known as a henis.

If its a girl she's a shenis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wow, just read through that last 10 pages....

faaark me... talk about difficult reading. Some of you lads could use a break from this forum every once in a while, especially in the off season!..
Testify!

If someone claimed that the grass was green in here there would be 3-5 posters determined to aggressively disprove it and berate the person for not giving up the source of their grass colour contact!

wow, just read through that last 10 pages....

faaark me... talk about difficult reading. Some of you lads could use a break from this forum every once in a while, especially in the off season!..

It is astounding to me that there are a handful of posters who go are as prolific in the offseason as they are during the middle of it.

If you watch the EF back Knight was dominant for a lot of the game and kicked 2 pressure goals...it was the game where everyone sat back and thought this kid could really be something. Unfortunately we have not seen it since...
Riley Knight was an exciting player in 2015 because his natural instinct was to move the ball on as quickly as possible. This fitted in well with our game plan under Phil Walsh which continued under Campo.

Initially Don Pyke adopted a similar game plan but as our players kept turning the ball over (e.g. Round 1 against Hawthorn last year) we moved to a slow and ugly game plan. Riley struggled with this and he performed poorly.

I was hopeful that our new (allegedly) run and gun style would suit him much better. Unfortunately his latest injury may mean that he has missed the bus.

The fact Nicks brought up Butts makes me think Doedee isnt going to be playing AFL for the first few rounds and Butts may keep that seat warm.....
Doedee is playing in the under 23 match next week apparently. If he gets through that I expect he will also play against gold coast on march 6. Barring any problems i cant see why they wouldn't select him round 1.

Last edited:
I think in regards to our forward line the coach needs to be looking at the team we are playing that particular week and devising a forward line that will beat that backline. Under Pyke we would play a particular structure regardless of the team we played which is part of the reason why he is no longer coach. Also the fact that our speed left did not help. For me I just want to see Fogarty develop into the player he can become and see some speed, contested marking and defensive pressure in our forward line that we havent seen since Cameron, Gov and Betts were dominating backlines. I don't think we should find positions for any players. We should devise a structure that works and find the best players for that structure. If that structure is 2 talls and 4 smalls well then so be it. The other factor is that the coach should be developing players and a team that will win us our next flag, especially when the team is not a premiership contender. Under Pyke I also felt at times he was influenced into a particular structure due to contract length and renumeration of particular players which definitely influenced selection. This is why who we contract along with term is of the utmost of importance combined with the age of when that long term deal finishes. I am not a big fan of long term contracts that continue past the age of 30 and would prefer our long term deals be used in the 23 to 28 age bracket.
Definitely this but we have to get players firing by 22 instead of leaving them to stagnate in the two’s for their first 3 years. While giving 28 year old expensive 5 year deals then feeling like we have to play them.

I think in regards to our forward line the coach needs to be looking at the team we are playing that particular week and devising a forward line that will beat that backline. Under Pyke we would play a particular structure regardless of the team we played which is part of the reason why he is no longer coach. Also the fact that our speed left did not help. For me I just want to see Fogarty develop into the player he can become and see some speed, contested marking and defensive pressure in our forward line that we havent seen since Cameron, Gov and Betts were dominating backlines. I don't think we should find positions for any players. We should devise a structure that works and find the best players for that structure. If that structure is 2 talls and 4 smalls well then so be it. The other factor is that the coach should be developing players and a team that will win us our next flag, especially when the team is not a premiership contender. Under Pyke I also felt at times he was influenced into a particular structure due to contract length and renumeration of particular players which definitely influenced selection. This is why who we contract along with term is of the utmost of importance combined with the age of when that long term deal finishes. I am not a big fan of long term contracts that continue past the age of 30 and would prefer our long term deals be used in the 23 to 28 age bracket.
It didn't seem listening to Hart the other day that much thought has gone into the forwards formation.

It’s hard to do your best when everyone is telling you you’re s**t. So perhaps we are partially responsible for this.
I have noticed he rarely smiles. I wouldn’t do much smiling either if I was being regularly slammed in social media.
I’m surprised he doesn’t have mental health issues, the s**t he gets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back