Autopsy 2020 Round 13 - Freo (50) DEF Swans (19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't that bad. We are a bottom 4 side, not sure what you were expecting. Midfield was smacked senseless, we need better mids, hopefully this off season we go some way to doing this.

We competed the whole game, boys were still trying in the last minute, just outclassed.

Not much care or effort from the players tonight, COVID controversy might have hit them harder than I expected, in some ways I hope it’s that because in the long run that’s less concerning..

Team with scoring issues vs team with well structured defense. Only way we could win was to beat them in the middle and pressure up the ground. That didn't happen and the result reflected that.

The good:
- Mills showed courage all night
- Fox and Melican did well considering the pressure they were under and the lack of height
- McCartin tried all night
- Stephens worked into the game

The bad:
- Selection. KPD gets injured and bring in an inside mid? That made no sense. Should have dropped Foot if you wanted JPK to play and had Aliir/Gould in for Rampe. We needed that extra height
- Mids as a collective were absolutely smashed. JPK, Parker, Rowbottom, Florrent, Papley (he had a lot of centre bounces) as well as Stephens and Blakey were poor
- Dawson in defense. Much better up the ground
- Wasn't the game for guys like Foot and Wicks given we lost the midfield battle but hardly saw them involved.
- Bell. I don't see it. People say he tries hard but so does Clarke and everyone loves pissing in his cornflakes.
- Reid was poor all around the ground. Really, really bad show from him
- Hayward was Wayward again. Couldn't get into the game

The average:
- Sinclair not disgraced imo. Probably only one in that main mid group who can hold his head high
- Thurlow, Dawson had little impact compared to previous weeks

Fremantle played better football. Effort wise, skill wise and tactic wise. They defended our rebound well, feasted on our poor inside 50s because of either skills or defensive pressure and beat us around stoppages and contested ball.

I think the effort was there, but their execution was far superior.

I have also defended Reid on this board for a long time and I believe having another tall there is incredible important for our structure, but right now he is giving us absolutely nothing unless he is having a run through the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't that bad. We are a bottom 4 side, not sure what you were expecting. Midfield was smacked senseless, we need better mids, hopefully this off season we go some way to doing this.

We competed the whole game, boys were still trying in the last minute, just outclassed.
100% agree, we got beaten by the better team. We all want growth to be permanent, but it takes time for growth to become consistent.

Melican is back more or less. Need to bring in Aliir.

JPK was slow, looks under cooked.

Looked better in the last.

Loved watching Florent, had some nice moves, and only one shocker.

Dawson and Blakey were fine.

Midfield got smacked from pillar to post.

And what will that do for next year genius ? How long Do you expect this rebuild to go for ? Keep relying on picking players up in drafts for spots where we have weakness where players have been drafted for an not cut it ? Stop talking senseless dribble its infuriating.

I think the effort was there, but their execution was far superior.

I have also defended Reid on this board for a long time and I believe having another tall there is incredible important for our structure, but right now he is giving us absolutely nothing unless he is having a run through the ruck.

Basically he is in the fortunate position of all other talls are injured and who would you play instead of him, much bigger issues tonight than Reid tho.

We missed Rampe a lot but I don't understand why Aliir didn't play
Because we would have spoiled a pretty reasonable game by our back 6.
Blame the midfield led by Kennedy & Parker for tge inability to extract the ball to a clear outside player.
The midfield then turned it over & it went back the other way very quickly.
Great game by the back 6 who did nothing wrong considering.
We kept them to 50 on that deck. Blame the mids & forwards for lack of ability to lock it in & our talls who could take a mark.

I don’t buy the intent wasn’t there....credit to freo who have been defensively in the top 3 over the last month...Swans youngsters were down on last week which happens and seniors not as affective as to be expected...Kennedy was always going to struggle on return and will do so for at least 2 more weeks...fox is growing and a plus for next season, able to play tall or small, Mills lead from the front.
expected more from Papley, Reid, and Hayward. The two goals wasn’t a great look but I thought they played better than that but just couldn’t break the stranglehold and stayed within their shells...appears off field stuff took off the edge to me...

Team with scoring issues vs team with well structured defense. Only way we could win was to beat them in the middle and pressure up the ground. That didn't happen and the result reflected that.

The good:
- Mills showed courage all night
- Fox and Melican did well considering the pressure they were under and the lack of height
- McCartin tried all night
- Stephens worked into the game

The bad:
- Selection. KPD gets injured and bring in an inside mid? That made no sense. Should have dropped Foot if you wanted JPK to play and had Aliir/Gould in for Rampe. We needed that extra height
- Mids as a collective were absolutely smashed. JPK, Parker, Rowbottom, Florrent, Papley (he had a lot of centre bounces) as well as Stephens and Blakey were poor
- Dawson in defense. Much better up the ground
- Wasn't the game for guys like Foot and Wicks given we lost the midfield battle but hardly saw them involved.
- Bell. I don't see it. People say he tries hard but so does Clarke and everyone loves pissing in his cornflakes.
- Reid was poor all around the ground. Really, really bad show from him
- Hayward was Wayward again. Couldn't get into the game

The average:
- Sinclair not disgraced imo. Probably only one in that main mid group who can hold his head high
- Thurlow, Dawson had little impact compared to previous weeks

Fremantle played better football. Effort wise, skill wise and tactic wise. They defended our rebound well, feasted on our poor inside 50s because of either skills or defensive pressure and beat us around stoppages and contested ball.

Fair.

Last edited:
Basically he is in the fortunate position of all other talls are injured and who would you play instead of him, much bigger issues tonight than Reid tho.

Probably would have rotated Aliir into the line up, he wasn't awful when played up forward earlier in the season.

Would also like to see Amartey get a game pending his fitness and form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back