Autopsy 2020 Round 13 - Freo (50) DEF Swans (19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not up to it yet , has a crack but would he have taken 7 marks, backed up Sinclair and had 3 shots AT goal. I know he's nearly done , but no one else and he's important when Buddy is in the team.
I think he would of added more to the game, more contests and would of split the difference more. Reid had marks, but they didn't really matter and then he's disposals were uninspiring. He was also non-existant in the 50, never seemed to make a proper contest, just completely beaten physically.
McClean, imo, would've added a lot more to the contests.

I think he would of added more to the game, more contests and would of split the difference more. Reid had marks, but they didn't really matter and then he's disposals were uninspiring. He was also non-existant in the 50, never seemed to make a proper contest, just completely beaten physically.
McClean, imo, would've added a lot more to the contests.

normally reid doesnt gets outmarked that often. he often plays against two defenders and often brings the ball to ground. he often gets his hands to the ball but he does have hands like feet and drops a lot of marks.

last night he was outmarked on almost every occasion and on a lot of occasions that was in one on one contests. it was actually one of the worst games I've seen him play.

I dont rate Mclean yet - he's too slow to be a proper forward and too small to be a ruck at afl level - sinclair and nankervis are the sort of players he could emulate but he doesnt have their physicality (so far). I just cant see mclean offering anymore than reid does although as I say it was a horrendous performance last night

Not sure how much to read into that game, poor performance, yes .... but could've been one of those perfect storm games. Lots of bad news during the week, coming off this groups most complete performance (young players maybe getting a bit ahead of themselves).
Fremantle's pressure was really good, and their forward entries were far more penetrating..we were caught out trying to be too perfect at times when we should have went for it, then blazed away wildly the few times we did generate some overlap and the opportunities to hit up targets. Just completely out of sync. Our defensive pressure was ok.

Injuries aren't helping but our KP stocks are in need of a fair bit of work. Would surely be the priority in the off-season? Even a couple of better KP players would transform this side completely.

On the plus side thought Melican did ok, despite the fact Tarbener was arguably BOG, Melican battled hard..won a fair few one on one contests, few strong marks. Last few weeks he's playing more like he was 17/18 before the injury...still has some absolute brain fade moments, but hopefully he's just following the Reg path.
Thought our defenders did as well as they could given how undersized and under the pump they were. Easily our best players, mids were off the boil and forwards were shocking.

Not sure how much to read into that game, poor performance, yes .... but could've been one of those perfect storm games. Lots of bad news during the week, coming off this groups most complete performance (young players maybe getting a bit ahead of themselves).
Fremantle's pressure was really good, and their forward entries were far more penetrating..we were caught out trying to be too perfect at times when we should have went for it, then blazed away wildly the few times we did generate some overlap and the opportunities to hit up targets. Just completely out of sync. Our defensive pressure was ok.

Injuries aren't helping but our KP stocks are in need of a fair bit of work. Would surely be the priority in the off-season? Even a couple of better KP players would transform this side completely.

On the plus side thought Melican did ok, despite the fact Tarbener was arguably BOG, Melican battled hard..won a fair few one on one contests, few strong marks. Last few weeks he's playing more like he was 17/18 before the injury...still has some absolute brain fade moments, but hopefully he's just following the Reg path.
Thought our defenders did as well as they could given how undersized and under the pump they were. Easily our best players, mids were off the boil and forwards were shocking.
Melican fit is in our best team and needs Rampe , as we all do.

Also for a tall forward at the Swans you don't get the ball coming in quick and your always against 2 defenders. Also because we only had 5 forwards and when it came off hands in the forward line they always had 2 smalls loose on the fat side and took it away . Where were Wicks, Foot etc ?

Agree. Our crumbing was NOWHERE.

McLean averaging 0.8 goals a game this year. Reid averaging 0.2 goals a game this year.

It'll do. (That's been the defence of Reid his whole career hasn't it?)

McLean also averaging 2.25 marks per game, which isn’t enough as a key target up forward. Would need to improve significantly.

Can’t win either way really, starting to think we should be taking one of the key forwards at the top end of the draft (given we are likely to get Campbell and Gulden as mods).

Even McCartin needs to increase his output (touch over 3 marks per game needs to become 5-6 ave).

McLean also averaging 2.25 marks per game, which isn’t enough as a key target up forward.

Can’t win either way really, starting to think we should be taking one of the key forwards at the top end of the draft (given we are likely to get Campbell and Gulden as mods).

Even McCartin needs to increase his output (touch over 3 marks per game needs to become 5-6 ave).

Yes but if we're going to play a key forward who might not do anything, makes a hell of a lot more sense to play the 21 year old rather than a never-was.

McLean has also provided better physical contests in his 8 career games than Reid ever has in his 148.

Yes but if we're going to play a key forward who might not do anything, makes a hell of a lot more sense to play the 21 year old rather than a never-was.

McLean has also provided better physical contests in his 8 career games than Reid ever has in his 148.
That takes the cake , backs up everything i've thought .

Probably a bit overlooked - but Florent and Rowy struggled against the bigger Freo mids as well. We really need to find a replacement for JK.

Probably a bit overlooked - but Florent and Rowy struggled against the bigger Freo mids as well. We really need to find a replacement for JK.
Rowy was fine13 contested and 6 tackles , have another look. He really looks at home now , love him.

Rowy was fine13 contested and 6 tackles , have another look. He really looks at home now , love him.
He played well but has the body of a 19 year old. If his game improves and he fills into his body more as he matures, he will be fantastic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t agree really. Certainly physical isn’t Reid’s strength but I haven’t seen anything from McLean that is significantly superior. I’d actually argue that McLeans lower mobility means he wouldn’t even make some of the contests that Reid does.

McLean has taken 5 marks in a game in one of his 8 appearances. Reid did it in each of his first 3 AFL games (and was younger). Reid averaged 5 marks per game last year. Agree Reid hasn’t been great coming back from injury this year.

Not convinced McLean will be able to overcome his weaknesses to be a successful AFL footballer.

We will agree to disagree though, no point having a Reid discussion with you!

Rowbottom is 19, miles off his peak size. Only 82kg. That's 1kg more than Serong who is 7cm shorter. And still had the most contested possessions of anyone on the ground. Wouldn't be panicking.

Can’t agree really. Certainly physical isn’t Reid’s strength but I haven’t seen anything from McLean that is significantly superior. I’d actually argue that McLeans lower mobility means he wouldn’t even make some of the contests that Reid does.

McLean has taken 5 marks in a game in one of his 8 appearances. Reid did it in each of his first 3 AFL games (and was younger). Reid averaged 5 marks per game last year. Agree Reid hasn’t been great coming back from injury this year.

Not convinced McLean will be able to overcome his weaknesses to be a successful AFL footballer.

We will agree to disagree though, no point having a Reid discussion with you!
Sentence of the day

I agree he's hard at it...but there were sime crucial times where he got bowled out the way. Still heaps of upside..but sometimes not having a good big mid hurts us.

I agree he's hard at it...but there were sime crucial times where he got bowled out the way. Still heaps of upside..but sometimes not having a good big mid hurts us.

I remember him last year giving Mundy a fend-off with ease. This time around the roles were reversed. That's just the reality of playing kids, sometimes they'll hit and sometimes they'll miss. A big mid can be good but they can also be slow and lack any sort of dynamism.

It doesn't have to be one OR the other. I am not advocating they trade either....I'm simply saying atm we have no one to bring down the big bulls in the packs...like Cripps, Bont, Fyfe, Mundy, even Pendelbury.

Unfo as it happens...Freo have two of them. 🙄
Thats where a fit JK was worth his weight in gold.

Rowbottom is 19, miles off his peak size. Only 82kg. That's 1kg more than Serong who is 7cm shorter. And still had the most contested possessions of anyone on the ground. Wouldn't be panicking.
Rowbottom is a gem.

Even in last night’s celebration of the mediocre, he was (along with Mills and Dawson) our best.

Rowbottom is a gem.

Even in last night’s celebration of the mediocre, he was (along with Mills and Dawson) our best.
Rowbottom was playing on Fyfe or Mundy at different times last night. There's a lot to be learnt in those situations. We may not have had a better alternative, but I'm sure Longmire felt it would be good for his development.

rowbottom works his **** off and has a crack even when the going is s**t,thought he was solid last night

melican conceded some marks, but compared to previous goes in the side i think he has more determination and aggression at the contest

just put papley as the key forward, he is anyway, McCartin in support, get hayward back up there

dont need a nothing tall for the sake of height

* bring lewie taylor back to pair with papley, we kick over their heads anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back