2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You are all well aware of the issues that you have with your playing list but unfortunately, there aren't any quick fixes these days. I don't think you need to go down the full 'Ground Zero' route like my mob did as you have a better nucleus of young players already at the club but it may take 2-3 off-seasons for all the panel-beating to be done.

The other thing to factor in is how hard you cut initially and who are the ones you do give the chop too. Everyone will have their theories on who & why but the best way is to set out some sort of plan to work from by looking at the existing list and deciding who should still be at the club going in to season 2022. By then, three trade & draft periods will have taken place which should see at least 18-20 players turned over in that time.

Based on the age spread of the players currently at the club, here is how it may look going into season 2022 before the new additions are added over the trade/drafts (admittedly, you know your players better than I ever will) :

B : Tom Doedee, Jake Kelly, TBA
HB : Wayne Milera, Fisher McAsey, Will Hamill
C : Ben Keays, TBA, Ben Crocker
HF : Lachlan Murphy, Elliot Himmelberg, Myles Poholke
F : Chayce Jones, Billy Frampton, Darcy Fogarty
R : Riley O'Brien, TBA, TBA
I/C : Jordan Galluci, TBA, Ned McHenry, TBA

This does not factor in how quickly or well some of the young guys develop plus there are others on the list that are yet to play senior footy. But what it does do is provide some hope for the future and a guide to what you need to chase.

There are at least 6 quality players needed to fill out that team but there are no guarantees that they will all make the grade, no club ever has that luxury. Having said that, it's not a bad skeleton-frame to start working from.

Pick up 3-4 quality 'grunt' mids and another couple of key position players and you could be in quite a strong position, it would just be a waiting game from there. If Strachan comes on, you could have a very handy tag-team ruck combo with O'Brien too.
You've done a couple of great posts in our threads.

To your 2022 side, here's my version.

I think we will have delisted or traded:

2020:
Brad Crouch
David Mackay
Bryce Gibbs
Kyle Hartigan
Riley Knight
Rory Atkins
Rory Laird
Elliot Himmelburg

2021:
Matt Crouch
Daniel Talia
Paul Seedsman
Tom Lynch
Jake Kelly
Taylor Walker

2022 side:

FF: Shane McAdam -- Darcy Fogarty -- Tyson Stengle
CHF: Ned McHenry -- ??? -- Rory Sloane

1st R: Reilly O’Brien -- Harry Schoenberg -- ??
C: Will Hamill -- Chayce Jones -- Brodie Smith

CHB: Wayne Milera -- Fisher McAsey -- Andrew McPherson
FB: Luke Brown -- ??? -- Tom Doedee

RES: Josh Worrell, Lachlan Sholl, ???, ???

EM:
Ben Keays
Ben Crocker
Billy Frampton
Myles Poholke
Keiran Strachan
Lachlan Gollant
Ronin O’Connor
Jordon Butts

2020:
Brad Crouch
David Mackay
Bryce Gibbs
Kyle Hartigan
Riley Knight
Rory Atkins
Rory Laird
Elliot Himmelburg

2021:
Matt Crouch
Daniel Talia
Paul Seedsman
Tom Lynch
Jake Kelly
Taylor Walker

2022 side:

EM:
Ben Keays
Ben Crocker
Billy Frampton
Myles Poholke
Keiran Strachan
Lachlan Gollant
Ronin O’Connor
Jordon Butts
Pick 1. Best available mid eg Phillips.
Rat and B.Crouch compo pick 2. Thilthorpe.
Trade Laird for mid teens first rounder.
Trade this pick with GWS first for Swans first rounder (5?) Due to their NGA prospect. Hollands.
Trade pick 20 plus Dogs second up to pick 11 region to get Poulter.
Use remaining picks on Edwards, Newchurch and Borlase.

7 players in.
Out: Crouch, Atkins, Himmelburg, Laird, Knight, Gibbs, Hartigan, Galluci (to rookie), Davis assuming lists cut by 2.

In: Pick 1 (Horne), Pick 2 (priority pick) - Rachele.
Dudley NGA
Pick 20.
Trade out Kelly and Smith for what we can get.
Trade out Matt Crouch for a mid teens first rounder.

2022 side

Doedee Talia McPherson
Hamill McAsey Edwards
Milera Hollands Schoenberg
ROB Phillips Jones
McHenry Thilthorpe Newchurch
McAdam Fogarty Dudley
Poulter Rachele Horne
Worrell

Butts in for 2023
Rankine in for McAdam in 2023 (trade when OOC)

Set for a decade of dominance.
Only real weakness would be ruck.

If Atkins goes as a FA, does that get added to the Crouch compo (assuming he goes as well)? Or would it be a separate pick?
I have no info what so ever but something tells me that Atkins will probably stay, and will probably get a decent contract (more than he will get in Vic), and will be the whipping boy on here for the next 4 years.
Crows won't like the look of another Vic going home.

Bit of a left field player for player trade scenario. With WWT lad Luke Dunstan potentially to be forced out of St Kilda next season, would there be interest in floating a direct swap for Tom Lynch in a 'go home factor' trade for both parties?

St Kilda are playing well under Ratten, and Tom Lynch operates at his best when he's in a strong team. And his presence might help take that team to the next level in terms of scoring power, especially with a developing Max King as they star KPF of the next decade.
Dunstan is a 25 year old mid who averaged 22+ touches and almost 5 tackle per week in a poor St Kilda side last year, and has 100+ games under his belt. He's injured for probably the rest of the year and was already a casualty of an aggressive trade strategy, so the value might be about right.

Again I don't watch enough St Kilda games to know if there needs to be steak knives thrown around, but it could be a potential win-win for both clubs and players.

If we were ever to trade Smith it would have to be this year given his age. I reckon he’ll be a Crow for life though.

AFAIK Separate pick.
I was under the impression that they look at it as a net gain/loss when determining the compo picks. So if you lose two players and don't gain any through FA then the compo pick provided will be greater.
But say we lost Crouch but picked up Jeremy Cameron then we wouldn't actually get a compo pick for Crouch at all.
Might have changed though, I don't know...

I was under the impression that they look at it as a net gain/loss when determining the compo picks. So if you lose two players and don't gain any through FA then the compo pick provided will be greater.
But say we lost Crouch but picked up Jeremy Cameron then we wouldn't actually get a compo pick for Crouch at all.
Might have changed though, I don't know...
Its probably a part of the AFL secret herbs and spices formula ;)

2020:
Brad Crouch
David Mackay
Bryce Gibbs
Kyle Hartigan
Riley Knight
Rory Atkins
Rory Laird
Elliot Himmelburg

2021:
Matt Crouch
Daniel Talia
Paul Seedsman
Tom Lynch
Jake Kelly
Taylor Walker

2022 side:

EM:
Ben Keays
Ben Crocker
Billy Frampton
Myles Poholke
Keiran Strachan
Lachlan Gollant
Ronin O’Connor
Jordon Butts
You reckon we will trade Talia ?? On what grounds would, or should we ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see the play stations are in overdrive this morning....
It's Trade and List Management.

These kinds of posts are exactly what should be in here.

Why don't you show some creativity and post what you would do? I'd genuinely like to hear what your opinions on managing our list would be .

You reckon we will trade Talia ?? On what grounds would, or should we ??
Yep, good question. Talia is a leader at the club, but he will be a free agent at the end of next year, and I think we may look to let him leave, and take the compo. We could have key defenders that we want to play in his spot.

Equally, they may want him to stay to give some continuity. For that post, I was looking at maximising the new opportunities for players.

Yep, good question. Talia is a leader at the club, but he will be a free agent at the end of next year, and I think we may look to let him leave, and take the compo. We could have key defenders that we want to play in his spot.

Equally, they may want him to stay to give some continuity. For that post, I was looking at maximising the new opportunities for players.
I think we still need to have some experience on each line

I think we still need to have some experience on each line
Talia's wife is a South Aussie isn't she?
He's 1 player I'm almost certain would want to be a 1 club player....I reckon he's the type that would wear it as badge of honour.

Talia's wife is a South Aussie isn't she?
He's 1 player I'm almost certain would want to be a 1 club player....I reckon he's the type that would wear it as badge of honour.
Yeah, I agree. With Doedee and Brown back there I wondered whether we had enough experience, but I think Talia would stay.

Interesting Conor Blakely not picked again by Freo. Would be a decent aged midfielder to bring in - realise he has played a lot at half back.

Pick 1. Best available mid eg Phillips.
Rat and B.Crouch compo pick 2. Thilthorpe.
Trade Laird for mid teens first rounder.
Trade this pick with GWS first for Swans first rounder (5?) Due to their NGA prospect. Hollands.
Trade pick 20 plus Dogs second up to pick 11 region to get Poulter.
Use remaining picks on Edwards, Newchurch and Borlase.

7 players in.
Out: Crouch, Atkins, Himmelburg, Laird, Knight, Gibbs, Hartigan, Galluci (to rookie), Davis assuming lists cut by 2.

In: Pick 1 (Horne), Pick 2 (priority pick) - Rachele.
Dudley NGA
Pick 20.
Trade out Kelly and Smith for what we can get.
Trade out Matt Crouch for a mid teens first rounder.

2022 side

Doedee Talia McPherson
Hamill McAsey Edwards
Milera Hollands Schoenberg
ROB Phillips Jones
McHenry Thilthorpe Newchurch
McAdam Fogarty Dudley
Poulter Rachele Horne
Worrell

Butts in for 2023
Rankine in for McAdam in 2023 (trade when OOC)

Set for a decade of dominance.
Only real weakness would be ruck.

Isn't Brodie Smith a Free Agent next season? Would have to trade him this year is we were to trade him.
Would Schoenberg have the tank to play on a wing? Would Phillips and Schoenberg 'fit' within the same midfield, or would we have the same problem we have at the moment playing both Crouches in there? Wouldn't mind us finding a way to get a pick to draft O'Driscoll from WA. Think he would be a good fit for the midfield group.
Sydney will probably finish low enough this year to get a pick in before a bid on Campbell. I think Fremantle would be open to splitting their early 1st into 2 later 1st round picks to get Trew and McDonald.

Yeah, I agree. With Doedee and Brown back there I wondered whether we had enough experience, but I think Talia would stay.

Brown comes across as more a quiet achiever type, and while Doedee sounds like a future leader he's still young/inexperienced enough himself that he'll benefit from having a guy like Talia around. I'd like to see him stay.

Interesting Conor Blakely not picked again by Freo. Would be a decent aged midfielder to bring in - realise he has played a lot at half back.
I think the gossip is that he's not loved within the team unit. No idea if true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back