List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I imagine if we had such a key forward, then the game plan would change to suit such a player.

Nope. We have a bunch of good smalls (one being the best in the AFL) so we take the Hawks approach of bringing the ball the ground, make stoppages and score from there. The Hawks used the same style in their three-pete despite having Roughy and Gunston up forward.

Hipwood has clearly proved he can score when given the opportunity to do so, and honestly think his confidence is down from not being able to play his natural style of game. Kudos to him for playing the gameplan and doing a good job of it, but its clear to see it can frustrate him at times.

I know our game plan is centred around our small forwards.

Because we don’t have the quality talls for a different game plan.

What I was saying, is if we can’t trade or draft quality KPF that’s good enough to change our style, let’s improve upon what we already have.

We might not be able to add a quality KPF, but we might be able to add another Rayner type, or Zorko type. Maybe a Shia Bolton or Jack Ziebell type. Or the forward version of James Sicily.
So predictable that you would again assume its because of our lack of a "quality KPF". Is there any chance that maybe our players further up the field might struggle to get the ball down into our forward fifty in a way that could give our key forwards a chance? Naaah, thats not possible, its gotta be our inadequate KPF's like you say.
Or maybe Fagan & Co believe that to win games we use our forward smalls as their current strategy because ours are some of the best going around.

For me the answer is just down the road. Peter Wright is the perfect mix of forward/ruck and is still young enough to have a lot of upside. Not sure if Dom drafted him, but I would be making the call and getting it done.
100% agree, absolutely tore us apart in the scratch match beginning of last year. Not sure why he isn’t getting a run at it at the moment. They can’t keep them all.

Would Wright be worth a late first round pick? Remembering he’s got a couple more years in his contract and they can afford his salary

I would think the Port pick would get it done as I don't think the Lions currently hold a second pick. Maybe the Port pick would work long as they threw in something in the second round.

No way, he can't even get into their team. Second rounder at best.

Our second round pick might be one of the latest picks in this draft. Can’t see them even entertaining that option.

Maybe next years first?

I'm not a fan of 2 meter Peter, looks too slow and cumbersome to me, although if we made a decision to trade for him I'd back us in to get the best out of him. IMO a selection in the early/mid 20s should get it done.

Spot on. An ex-colleague of mine that was married to a Geelong player that was also a father / son to Geelong was and is very close to Hawkins and his wife and 100%, they are Geelong / Bellarine Penisnula people through and through. Obviously Tom and is old man are from Finley, NSW but given his old man playerd close to 200 games with the Cats, Tom spent a large part of his youth in Geelong and his wife and her family are a prominent and entrenched Geelong family that are very much in the Geelong / Bellarine Penisnula social scene. Personally, just don't see it happening.
I live on the Bellarine Peninsula, what is this social scene that you speak of 😂

Looking at footywire, KPF OOC end of this season-

Elliott Himmelberg, Levi Casboult(UFA), Joe Daniher(RFA), Shaun McKernan, Brennan Cox, Tom Hawkins(UFA), Jeremy Cameron(RFA), Jeremy Finlayson, Ben Brown, Josh Walker, Charlie Dixon, Josh Kennedy(UFA).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So predictable that you would again assume its because of our lack of a "quality KPF". Is there any chance that maybe our players further up the field might struggle to get the ball down into our forward fifty in a way that could give our key forwards a chance? Naaah, thats not possible, its gotta be our inadequate KPF's like you say.
Or maybe Fagan & Co believe that to win games we use our forward smalls as their current strategy because ours are some of the best going around.
That just doesn’t make sense.

Our mids and back flankers time, and time and again find themselves in good positions to deliver quality ball in to the forward 50.

We saw in the Adelaide game that we can hit a leading forward lace out if the opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise we don’t have as good a midfield as many people suggest we do.

That just doesn’t make sense.

Our mids and back flankers time, and time and again find themselves in good positions to deliver quality ball in to the forward 50.

We saw in the Adelaide game that we can hit a leading forward lace out if the opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise we don’t have as good a midfield as many people suggest we do.
Must have made some sense as I have received likes (as you did) on the post.
I certainly would debate that the "quality ball" you elude to in above is not conducive to a leading key forward marking the ball, rather than a leading a leading key forward having a better chance of bringing the ball to ground for our small forwards to pounce. I can think of 4 players who immediately come to mind as players who rarely look up before they bomb the ball into our forward 50. If our focus was more orientated to hitting up our key forwards on a lead (& its not), I am sure they would pay more attention as to how they deliver the ball. (perfect example: Last 1/4 in the final against GWS)
Its not a crack at our mids. Our mids are great and they follow the game plan very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back