Game Day 2021 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes its better to say nothing.... but I've never been one to follow good advice.

Firstly, dont get me wrong, we haven't drafted bad players. I can see the potential in all of them.

I just don't understand the mix of player we drafted or why we abandoned kicking skills as a pre requisite to being drafted.

Roberts is a good player but after getting Sheldrick, knowing Anderson is coming and expecting Murley, Dittmar or Long would be available at our 3rd there was no reason not to pick a point of difference player at our 2nd. If we had picked Howes, Bazzo or Taylor at our 2nd I'd have felt much better about this draft. My personal opinion is this draft haul doesn't move us forward and also doesn't plug some of our gaps
Fair enough. I'd speculate draftees are being increasinglgy blunt about where they want to be, and Howes and Bazzo wanted to be home. We could have used a player of their types for sure, but if the only ones we rated didn't want to come....
To me it seems we've prioritised a bit of physicality and mongrel. And found the type of guys that will not cry about missing mum's cooking but get on with it. We've liked what Gulden, Chad and McInerney too bought to the team early on in their careers and thought, yep, lets get some more of that in. This is a team building to knock the likes of the Dogs, Dees and maybe GWS off the ball and have the pace to get away and do something with it. And I'm here for it.

I think this has been a strong draft for us, but sure not a perfect one.

Simply put way too good to pass up at that range. His disposal is fine anyway.
I'm just saying it's one of the notes of improvement made about him. For an inside mid it might be average, although I thought we were moving towards a better ball using team. Anyway, the club obviously see a lot in him, there were other highly rated players still available that would have given us wider coverage. But he's here and hope he smashes it.

I'm just saying it's one of the notes of improvement made about him. For an inside mid it might be average, although I thought we were moving towards a better ball using team. Anyway, the club obviously see a lot in him, there were other highly rated players still available that would have given us wider coverage. But he's here and hope he smashes it.

I’d have personally gone Taylor but you can see the merit in taking the one we did

It'll be unpopular, but I wouldn't be distraught if we went a KPD and Taylor at the rookie draft (why we only allowed ourselves two picks I don't know). While pre National Draft I was keen on Anderson, we picked up 2 inside mids and a hybrid, in a position we already had coverage and where I'm told the players develop a lot quicker than talls. It'd hurt not to pick him up, but he was late in joining the Academy, so it's not like it'd be some crazy unfulfilled investment. Obviously want him to get drafted, ideally for him it'd be Brisbane or Gold Coast, if not us. Anyway, I think we'll pick him, and hopefully he turns out, just have no idea where he'll fit in the next 5+ years.

Kinnear said in an interview that we didn't rate the talls in this draft.
That's what people are reading into his comments. All he said was that when he talks to scouts about reports, that he wants to know who the talls have played on. His comments about limited opposition and general uncertainty were not directed at talls specifically.

But, it could well be true. Or they just rated the players they took much higher than the available talls which we could have gotten (JVR, Bazzo etc).

Ben Waterworth gives us a C+ because he deems our picks risky and out of his deemed order. But gives Carlton who took just one player in Jessie Motlop at Pick 27 an A and Gold Coast an A for taking the skiny ruckman Mac Andrew at 5 and picking up a recycled Cat.

Clearly has a chip on the shoulder if you make out mock draft look stupid.
Gold Coast and Carlton now changed to B...after his list got smashed on Twitter. That's hilarious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our recruitment team no what they are doing and have the runs on the board. Ben Waterworth rating the Swans last in this years draft shows that he doesn't know too much.
In terms of player quality I think we've done ok, in terms of using this draft to advance building a list for a flag run, where you need to address gaps sooner rather than later, I think a C+ is fair. From outside our list management team anyway.

And as I said pre-draft, I don't think this was an essential draft for us
Every draft is 'essential'. National, rookie, pre season etc. Every pick is an opportunity to pick up an All Australian captain.
Kinnear said in Twomey interview, our list needs are midfielders, KPP's (at both ends), running players. That pretty much covers every position - He doesn't give much away.
Kinnear also said there will be no 'quality' KPPs at our selection and that this draft is weak for KPPs.
This year we picked up a 209cm 20yo ruckman; a 203cm 23yo forward ruck and will pick up a 195cm 25yo KPP (who was a former no. 1 draft pick). It seems that our recruiting staff have significantly added to our tall stocks.
To draft the players the Swans did suggests there is a long term plan that we are not privy to (and despite some of us highly rating our own expertise), we dont understand.
Ill enjoy watching the draftees develop. Enjoy asking questions and try and work out the inner workings of Swans list management, which I may never find out the answers.. basically, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Not sure I saw this posted anywhere else. From the rag

SYDNEY
18. Angus Sheldrick (Claremont/Mosman Park)

179cm, 88kg, Mid

34. Matt Roberts (South Adelaide/Langhorne Creek)

184cm, 84kg, Mid

40. Corey Warner (East Fremantle/Willetton)

182cm, 72kg, Mid

58. Lachlan Rankin (Oakleigh Chargers/Beverley Hills)

184cm, 74kg, Mid/Fwd

The Swans have boosted their young midfield stocks, taking two West Australian onballers and a South Aussie. Sheldrick bolted into top-30 contention late in the year and fellow Sandgroper Warner is more skilful and effective on the outside than his brother, new teammate Chad Warner. Roberts, who has five senior SANFL games under his belt, has a high footy IQ and does most things really well.

Matt Turner’s verdict: Sydney is building its generation-next midfield. Roberts has the potential to play from the outset. The Swans look to have done well but maybe overlooked a key defensive need.

My Sony has the Kayo app, but I am very interested in this LG news as will be in the market for another TV soon so that I can watch Kayo while the boss watches Survivor and The Voice.
just installed it on my LG TV.
Happy little vegemite.jpg

No wuzzes. I did not follow it last night - had some wet paint to watch dry.

Yep, re the 4 draftees being mids, but they are really different types.

"Prime" Angus Sheldrick is a tough inside extractor with a sharp burst of pace who is adept on both sides and can dob a goal. Already has a great 'don't argue' fend.

Cory Warner is a classy classic winger.

Roberts is a smart all round mid and as has been suggested may be developed as a defender.

Rankin could be developed as a small defender.
Bang on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back