Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having the number 1 pick in the draft is quite stressful, waiting for what feels like an eternity for the draft to take place and thinking of a million and one ways the AFL can fu** us over in the mean time.

I don't know how Carlton and Melbourne supporters cope. :)

Yes it is, how the * do we pick the fat *en slider?

I am participating in a fan-run phantom draft and approached it with needs in mind.

I took:

1# JHF - well derrrr.....

22# Rhett Bazzo - I did consider Leek Aleer here as he was still available, but I was put off a bit by his limited disposal and rebound. I chose Bazzo over Aleer in the end because I feel he's a tad more versatile and a better distributor than Aleer. In a backline with Corr and McKay, it would be nice to have a KPD with good kicking and disposal skills. Aleer went #36 in the same phantom draft, so maybe I am not alone in my assessment (based on other write-ups, lol).

42# Jamal Stretch - I had a long hard think about how to fill North's small forward stocks and researched a few SA and WA prospects. I did consider Isaiah Dudley and Arthur Jones as real smaller pacey options, but I had concerns over Dudley's size and Jones' ability as a pure small forward playing as a winger most of this year. Jahmal is a pure forward, has got good forward nous, a fantastic leap, good size at 181cm for a small forward, got good speed (not quite like Jones or Dudley, but good for a small) had good defensive numbers and is a pressure-first forward with a plenty of tricks. The leap and defensive-first stuff really sold me.

43# Sam Banks - A rebounding HB replacement for Hall/Ziebell rather than a pure lockdown small defender. A good interceptor, decent-enough speed, good rebounder, a long penetrating kick, classy and versatility to play in the midfield or wing. I did consider Blayne O'Loughlin and a few other options, but his size was a slight concern and his excellent kicking can be a bit off sometimes.

I will be upgrading Edwards with my last pick and looking at Jackson Archer as a rookie.

Hopefully people like the choices.
I believe Edwards' deal involves staying on the rookie list for the next 2 years while he develops, so if you want our 5th pick can be 'live' as well. Ronald Fejo Jnr. is one I'd look at, speculative but he has a lot of quality traits.

*Updated picks with Atley being delisted and my lack of awareness about Edwards being a rookie for the next few years. So I took 6 main list players and will take Archer in the rookie draft. There were few small forward and kpd options left, so I looked elsewhere to build some depth.

With Pick 63, the NMFC selects...

Bryce Watson to help get some pace and class in the backline, especially with the departure of Atley and Ham.

With Pick 64, the NMFC selects...

Ronald Fejo Jnr to help get some pace on the wing and hope he can maybe develop into a high half-forward/wing type. Really liked his write-up.

JHF, Wilmot and Alleer would probably be our dream result imo.

JVR/Bazzo might be the best result @ 20.

But Wilmot/Alleer as a combo would be the best scenario overall from a list perspective. Alleer as a net difference to JVR/Bazzo isn't enormous.

Wilmot vs what we would get in the 40's in huge.

Wilmot would just about play Rnd 1 imo (contingent on match fitness from the missed games)

Who’s Wilmot like and what are his strengths

Wilmot reminds me quite a bit of Gavin Wanganeen.

Big call and more than likely won’t ever reach that level, but from a game style point of view, they share some similar traits and look a bit similar on the field.
Would not say no to that level of class coming out of the half back flank.

Jamieson Ballantyne on SEN this morning compared himself to a Lachie Whitfield/Isaac Smith type winger/HB

Wilmot reminds me quite a bit of Gavin Wanganeen.

Big call and more than likely won’t ever reach that level, but from a game style point of view, they share some similar traits and look a bit similar on the field.
Wanganeen one of my favourite ever non-Nth players.
Great player. Courage and skill…
But used to see him at a few underground parties back in day. Always pretty respectful and kept to himself...
Except for the time he had a run in with a friends fence late at night.

Wanganeen one of my favourite ever non-Nth players.
Great player. Courage and skill…
But used to see him at a few underground parties back in day. Always pretty respectful and kept to himself...
Except for the time he had a run in with a friends fence late at night.

Still grates me he won Chas.in '93. Better than Carey, " turn it up "

Jamieson Ballantyne on SEN this morning compared himself to a Lachie Whitfield/Isaac Smith type winger/HB

They never describe themselves as Chris Mayne/David Mackay type wingers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I’m all in Wilmot now.

We can get a kpd later on
I'm a big fan of Wilmot. Wanted him at our pick in the BF Phantom draft. Tom Brown would do.

Wilmot 7.88s agility
Brown 8.02s agility + 2.98s 20m sprint in the recent Vic Country Combine

There’s very few kpd’s later on.
I know heaps of people want a KPD at 20 but honestly don’t think it represents good value, I think we should pick best available other than inside midfielders barring a massive slide. I like Wilmot or Brown at that pick so much better than a Bazzo or Alleer, and I’d rather we trade back if we’re going for a key defender there, personally just don’t think either of those guys are top 20 players despite the lack of people at the position.

I know heaps of people want a KPD at 20 but honestly don’t think it represents good value, I think we should pick best available other than inside midfielders barring a massive slide. I like Wilmot or Brown at that pick so much better than a Bazzo or Alleer, and I’d rather we trade back if we’re going for a key defender there, personally just don’t think either of those guys are top 20 players despite the lack of people at the position.
We aren’t in a position to trade back into the 20s and kpd’s need time to develop. We have three kpd’s on the list, it’s a gaping hole and KPP’s take a long time to develop. We can’t just trade in all our kpd needs when we think we are ready. Need to take a kpd at some point this year.

Last edited:
Just as long as we don’t get anther Brad Scott type bubble thought from our current coaching panel and pick another Will Walker. ..

We aren’t in a position to trade back in and kpd’s need time to develop. We have three kpd’s on the list, it’s a gaping hole and KPP’s take a long time to develop. We can’t just trade in all our kpd needs when we think we are ready. Need to take a kpd at some point this year.
Yeah I meant trade back to a mid 20s pick and maybe recoup a future 2nd, then pick a key back. It is a massive hole, just don’t know pick 20 is where we should or will address it. It’s weird I just don’t like the KPD in this draft in general for where we’d have to draft them. Such a weird draft overall anyway, can’t wait till some rumours with some basis start coming out around our picks other than 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back