Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilmot, Van Rooyen, Tom Brown, Paul Curtis, and Campbell Chesser are some names I like, and in that order too, provided there aren't any big sliders.

Any of these guys would be great - we may be able to get Curtis with a 3rd rounder but I'm a big fan and would take him at our 2nd rounder. I'd have him on par with Rachele regarding his ability as a small forward.
All good names from what I’ve read. JVR I think would be a great get. Then Chesser looks good too. Wilmot looks likely to be gone, but he’s got a nice bit of campaigner in him that’s attractive.

I’ll be shattered if Goater lasts to the pick before us and we miss out. Throw something Freo’s way to get him
Darcy ******* Macpherson all he had to do was come back to Vic and that pick was ours

need to flatten him when we play him

Who would you take in the above scenario?

Draper, Howes, Taylor, Alleer?

Ideally hoping for a slider

Knevitt, Draper, Robert’s, Taylor, sheldrick, Bazzo, Or trade down

But Dean and Banks 👍

Watching that wa sa game that dittmar looks pretty good. Don’t think we’d pick up another inside mid though

Phantom-Draft_No.22_North-Melbourne.jpg

Jesse Motlop
POS:
Small forward
Ht 177cm, Wt 77kg, DOB 23/11/03
From South Fremantle/Western Australia

Motlop is a clever small forward who can create a chance out of nothing. He played eight League games for South Fremantle this year, including the WAFL Grand Final, and booted eight goals. Motlop was nominated by Fremantle as a Next Generation Academy player but the Dockers only get priority access to him after pick 40, where he's unlikely to slip. The son of former Kangaroo and Power forward Daniel Motlop. The Roos have been on the search for a small forward and Motlop could be a contender.

If not him? Kai Lohmann is another goalkicking option who could be worth a look, while versatile swingman Jacon van Rooyen is also a chance. Would they take a run at Tyler Sonsie if he was there?

Jesse Motlop
POS:
Small forward

Motlop is a clever small forward who can create a chance out of nothing. He played eight League games for South Fremantle this year, including the WAFL Grand Final, and booted eight goals. Motlop was nominated by Fremantle as a Next Generation Academy player but the Dockers only get priority access to him after pick 40, where he's unlikely to slip. The son of former Kangaroo and Power forward Daniel Motlop. The Roos have been on the search for a small forward and Motlop could be a contender.

If not him? Kai Lohmann is another goalkicking option who could be worth a look, while versatile swingman Jacon van Rooyen is also a chance. Would they take a run at Tyler Sonsie if he was there?

Just concerned re: output vs a pick in the 20s however, I am judging by only watching his WAFL GF and he was pretty flaky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheldrick, Dittmar, Tunstill, Johnson, all the WA mids looked draftable in those games
Yeah. Not sure if it was them being good of SA being poor

Like your push for Curtis. How do you rate him vs Motlop as they both play a similar role?

He is a decent chance to be available at our 40s picks or we could push one of them a little up the order via adding a F3 to grab him in 30s or maybe even via sliding back 20 into a later 20s pick.

Paul Curtis = left footed Toby Greene who has predominantly played as a deep threat but worked his way higher up the ground to great effect as the season wore on. Great delivery going inside 50 and just knows where the goals are - dangerous in the air and on the ground, lays good defensive pressure. It's a little puzzling as to why there's no real talk around him.

Jesse Motlop = more your traditional crumbing forward in the mould of Pickett/Cameron/A-MT. He doesn't have the explosiveness of those guys and tends to rush his disposal by hand and foot under pressure. Even under no pressure he's prone to some sloppy disposals. I wouldn't mind him at our 3rd rounder but 2nd round is too early for me.

Jesse Motlop
POS:
Small forward

I thought we has a rule where it was no more motlops?

north-melbourne.jpg

Picks: 1, 20, 42, 47, 71, 75 (likely to use five selections)

The Roos will have one of the biggest hauls at this year's draft with five picks, with their final selection pegged for father-son prospect Jackson Archer, the son of club legend Glenn. Archer has been nominated as a national draft pick, meaning if there is no bid for the wiry defender then the Roos will list him with their last live selection. That is the expected outcome. In between that one and their two top-20 picks they also have two selections in the 40s, which will likely come in a few spots once other father-son bids are matched by rival clubs. Lewis Rayson, an attacking half-back, could come into contention, as may West Australian goalkicker Jack Williams. The Roos have shown interest in defender Bryce Watson and small forward Eamon Wilkinson.

Watson 183cm general defender averaged 17 disposals, 4 marks + 2 tackles pg Colts level.

Bryce Watson is one of the biggest bolters out of Western Australia this year. The small-medium defender is able to impact in a variety of ways in defence but arguably does his best work on the rebound, breaking lines with his dash and piercing kicks. Having endured an injury-interrupted bottom-age campaign, Watson broke out in 2021 to earn state Under 19 representative honours and a draft combine invite, while placing third in Swan Districts’ Colts best and fairest count in a premiership year. Watson is a player with strong upside and his rate of development in 2021 has seen him bolt into draft contention. Having a full season under his belt, including representative action, the Swan Districts product has an advantage over many other rebounding defenders around the nation with similar traits. With an exciting style, versatility, and easily developable areas for improvement, Watson could be a shrewd late pick who rewards a willing club down the line.

Jesse Motlop
South Fremantle, WAFL / South Coogee JFC / Aquinas College
State: Western Australia
Height: 177cm
Weight: 78kg
Date of Birth: 23/11/03

Small forward who has really started to blossom as a potential player with eye-catching performances in both the NTFL and the WAFL, particularly around his forward craft. His pace, goal sense and ability to win the ball then make quick decisions have helped him progress from under-18s to seniors. He played six senior matches with South Fremantle after winning a Rising Star nomination much earlier in the year with St Mary's in the NT. Son of former North Melbourne and Port Adelaide star Daniel, he doesn't qualify for either under the AFL's father-son rules, but he is eligible for Fremantle as a Next Generation Academy prospect and they can match any bid after selection 40 in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft. Represented Western Australia against South Australia in two under-19 matches, drawing comparisons with his uncle Steven Motlop at Port Adelaide. His draft Combine time of 8.06 seconds for the AFL agility run ranked him No.4 nationally, while his 84cm running vertical jump was also impressive.

Player comparison: Brisbane's Charlie Cameron

I would like Wilkinson, he puts on a fair bit of pressure and tackles hard, seems quick and also I thought he had a bit of goal sense, which shows in his average of over a goal a game for his SANFL career. Only 20 as well and got interested mid season and last year I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back