Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Callow was given a wide berth by every club in the draft, and then the rookie draft.

I’ll be pretty bummed if we went for him in the mid season draft considering that we need class around the ball, not another Pick 75 equaivalent tall forward.

Imagine if we pick up someone more like Tim Kelly? Yes, please.

We should be scouring every league for class ball winners with pace.
My sentiments exactly. If we liked him we would already have him.

I agree with this. I believe we need desperately a really creative and clean midfielder. We have a lot of grunt, power and clearance players, but need the player who can fire low sharp darts into the forward line.

I only we could clone Sam Mitchell over and over and over :p
We’ve actually been belted in the clearances and contested ball for years now. Don’t think we’ve been out of the bottom 2 in both for years. We need everything haha.

Callow was given a wide berth by every club in the draft, and then the rookie draft.

I’ll be pretty bummed if we went for him in the mid season draft considering that we need class around the ball, not another Pick 75 equaivalent tall forward.

Imagine if we pick up someone more like Tim Kelly? Yes, please.

We should be scouring every league for class ball winners with pace.

I remember reading reports that Callow was going to train with us. Did this end up happening?

Don't get your hopes up for a top 3 pick just yet. I forsee a mid/late season turn around.

There are some seriously bad teams and clubs self imploding this year.

We are a strong club with good coaches. Unless we have more injuries to key players we should string some wins together at some stage. The race for a top 4 pick will be on in earnest just after mid season.

I remember reading reports that Callow was going to train with us. Did this end up happening?
Yes. We didn’t take him, we took Bramble.

Don't get your hopes up for a top 3 pick just yet. I forsee a mid/late season turn around.

We are a strong club with good coaches. Unless we have more injuries to key players we should string some wins together at some stage. The race for a top 4 pick will be on in earnest just after mid season.
Yeah, I'd like to see us remain a shambles, continually trying stuff that can't work until finals are out of the question, then make an obvious change & charge home to be the form team of the comp., finishing H&A in 9-11.

This kid is one to watch. Exactly the type that we need IMO.

Round 2 Player of the Week, Connor Macdonald returned a dream performance in the Stingrays’ loss to Greater Western Victoria (GWV); amassing 33 disposals, 10 marks, 10 inside 50s, and laying 12 tackles. A monster effort. It saw the 184cm midfielder rise up draft boards, especially having backed up a strong Round 1 showing.

His speed away from congestion is complemented well by a desire to work hard, as Macdonald could be seen accumulating possessions in all areas of the ground and lifting when his side needed it. Having played on a wing and up forward, Macdonald also has the ability to kick goals and really hurt the opposition with his balanced game.

In the 2021 season, Macdonald is averaging 28.5 disposals, 7.0 marks, 6.5 inside 50s, 7.5 tackles and has booted 2.4, beginning the year in great form. He has grown at least five centimetres from his Under 16s year, where he managed to play three games, averaging 7.3 disposals, 1.0 marks, 1.7 inside 50s and 1.3 tackles per game in 2019.

Agree. Teams will be falling over themselves in the run home tanking for one of those guns.

edps is running a mock top 20 each week here.

View attachment 1104553
This might not go super well for some but I think this is the perfect draft for us to trade our future first to get another first rounder in.
The idea of coming away with Sonsie and a Chesser or a Johnson or a Rachele is really tantalizing I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're bottom 4 again next year, with no first rounder, that's a disaster.

It would certainly be a disaster of a situation to be in indeed. Though I'd want to know what next year's group is supposedly going to shape up to be first.

If we could kick away two top 10 picks and another two under 25 then we would be in a great position to accelerate this rebuild.

Interesting to watch this unfold. ATM, there is no way Daicos goes at 2. Pies will do a Sydney a la McDonald/Campbell.
If someone picks him at 2 and the pies match, it still counts as pick 2 even if they match with much later picks. In any case, I think the mock draft is just putting players in the order of merit where they should be picked. Hard to do anything else this far out. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back