Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something is wrong with the development of the Tassie lads. Considering it is a state that lives and breathes footy, there should be more talent coming out of there.

Sam Banks, Oliver Davis, Oliver Sanders and Jye Menzie all look more than capable to my eye.

Sam Collins was another one last year that ended up going un drafted.

Tassy footy is hopelessly run down here , any good kids need and do move away

Tassy footy is hopelessly run down here , any good kids need and do move away

I played a little bit of reserves state league when I was down there at uni (over ten years ago) and I thought the state league was a very well run, and even the reserves comp was of a pretty good standard.

At that stage there was enough talented players in the seniors to really help develop the young kids coming through.

I have heard that the state league since then has dropped off considerably with many players (especially in the north) choosing to play for their local clubs over the state league, due to a whole host of issues.

It's a real shame, because there are some seriously talented kids coming through down there that are going undrafted.

Here's my top 30 minus F/S prospects. If you want F/S prospects then Daicos would be at #4 and Darcy at #7

Tier 1
1 - Jason Horne
4 - Josh Goater
5 - Josh Sinn
6 - Neil Erasmus
9 - Matthew Johnson
10 - Arlo Draper
11 - Jye Amiss
12 - Tyler Sonsie
13 - Ben Hobbs
14 - Josh Rachele
17 - Zac Taylor
18 - Hugh Jackson
19 - Ned Long
20 - Josh Ward
21 - Matt Roberts
22 - Jacob Van Rooyen
23 - Toby Conway
26 - Josh Browne
27 - Judson Clarke
28 - Lewis Rayson
29 - Oscar Morrison
30 - Rhett Bazzo

Banks, Howes, Butler, Murley, Fahey, Gadsby, MacDonald and Molan are some names who are just outside.

Last edited:
Here's my top 30 minus F/S prospects. If you want F/S prospects then Daicos would be at #4 and Darcy at #7

Tier 1
1 - Jason Horne
4 - Josh Goater
5 - Josh Sinn
6 - Neil Erasmus
9 - Matthew Johnson
10 - Arlo Draper
11 - Jye Amiss
12 - Tyler Sonsie
13 - Ben Hobbs
14 - Josh Rachele
15 - Bodhi Uwland
18 - Zac Taylor
19 - Hugh Jackson
20 - Ned Long
21 - Josh Ward
22 - Matt Roberts
23 - Jacob Van Rooyen
24 - Toby Conway
27 - Josh Browne
28 - Judson Clarke
29 - Lewis Rayson
30 - Oscar Morrison

Bazzo, Banks, Howes, Butler, Murley, Fahey, Gadsby, MacDonald and Molan are some names who are just outside.
Respect for putting yourself out there.

Tier 1
1 - Jason Horne
4 - Josh Goater
5 - Josh Sinn
6 - Neil Erasmus
9 - Matthew Johnson
10 - Arlo Draper
11 - Jye Amiss
12 - Tyler Sonsie
13 - Ben Hobbs
14 - Josh Rachele
17 - Zac Taylor
18 - Hugh Jackson
19 - Ned Long
20 - Josh Ward
21 - Matt Roberts
22 - Jacob Van Rooyen
23 - Toby Conway
26 - Josh Browne
27 - Judson Clarke
28 - Lewis Rayson
29 - Oscar Morrison
30 - Rhett Bazzo

Banks, Howes, Butler, Murley, Fahey, Gadsby, MacDonald and Molan are some names who are just outside.
Hey mate, if Adelaide want Horne...would you consider trading pick 1 for two inside top 6 deal if Crows could find a way to work it?

I played a little bit of reserves state league when I was down there at uni (over ten years ago) and I thought the state league was a very well run, and even the reserves comp was of a pretty good standard.

At that stage there was enough talented players in the seniors to really help develop the young kids coming through.

I have heard that the state league since then has dropped off considerably with many players (especially in the north) choosing to play for their local clubs over the state league, due to a whole host of issues.

It's a real shame, because there are some seriously talented kids coming through down there that are going undrafted.

yes mate , i get your point, times have def. changed since then. the word is the statewide comp, is dead in the water.
back in the day , the statewide comp was a great comp. big crowds , drawcard players/coaches (ex-AFL) these days the local country comps get bigger crowds.
That and the fact the AFL do very little for grass roots footy. Football is a real mess down here

Tier 1
1 - Jason Horne
4 - Josh Goater
5 - Josh Sinn
6 - Neil Erasmus
9 - Matthew Johnson
10 - Arlo Draper
11 - Jye Amiss
12 - Tyler Sonsie
13 - Ben Hobbs
14 - Josh Rachele
17 - Zac Taylor
18 - Hugh Jackson
19 - Ned Long
20 - Josh Ward
21 - Matt Roberts
22 - Jacob Van Rooyen
23 - Toby Conway
26 - Josh Browne
27 - Judson Clarke
28 - Lewis Rayson
29 - Oscar Morrison
30 - Rhett Bazzo

You've prob already answered this mate, but who would trade Horne for if you could have 1 from Tier 2 and one from Tier 3?

Going from the write ups and limited vision I've seen, in the "trade for Horne" scenario, I'd love to end up with Gibcus and Goater/Callaghan, but that doesn't appear possible. We prob also need a KPF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tier 1
1 - Jason Horne
4 - Josh Goater
5 - Josh Sinn
6 - Neil Erasmus
9 - Matthew Johnson
10 - Arlo Draper
11 - Jye Amiss
12 - Tyler Sonsie
13 - Ben Hobbs
14 - Josh Rachele
17 - Zac Taylor
18 - Hugh Jackson
19 - Ned Long
20 - Josh Ward
21 - Matt Roberts
22 - Jacob Van Rooyen
23 - Toby Conway
26 - Josh Browne
27 - Judson Clarke
28 - Lewis Rayson
29 - Oscar Morrison
30 - Rhett Bazzo

Not a fan of Darcy? Or just he needs more time?

Some specific names mentioned for the top 10 by Adrian Caruso (GWS National Recruiting Manager): Callaghan, Gibcus, Hobbs, Andrew, Erasmus and Rachele

LISTEN: Daicos or Darcy, plus what will GWS do with Pies' top pick? -

www.afl.com.au/news/655051

High picks do matter but really, look at the most recent dominant team in Richmond. Yeah, sure they have some high picks, but really it was a squad that had excellent defensive culture and everyone bought in. Dusty was pick 3, Riewoltd pick 8 (I think?) and the rest were pretty much mid first rounders, but they were really well developed.

You start winning, with a good culture, and dudes like Lynch say 'I'll come to your team, win a flag and finish top 5 in the Coleman for a few years and extend the life of your aging stars'.
Add to dusty and riewoldt and you have another 4 top 10 picks

Cotchin pick 2
Vlastuin pick 9
caddy pick 7,
grimes pick 2

Then you have some you'd redraft in top 10 like Rance and Houli... and a few others.

I'm not saying anything is a certainty, but this year is a dead rubber, with very very little expectation. Unlike next year and every year after that for the next decade.

Play the kids, give us one last pull into the real talent pool and lets go get that dynasty.

Dont forget Thomas also, Mahoney, Tarrant.
Horrible news on Ben10,
But somehow finding a positive talking footy wise …
We are sitting bottom & probably were hoping to finish 17th at best .
With 4 games to go any other team in this position by now would be thinking who they would start putting into early post season operations & resting up .
We should be thinking the same thing I think in the next few weeks .
Let’s bring in and try , Ford , Comben (soon) , Bonar , PWalker , Spicer . As well as running the season out with WAP & Lazaro

Tier 1
1 - Jason Horne
4 - Josh Goater
5 - Josh Sinn
6 - Neil Erasmus
9 - Matthew Johnson
10 - Arlo Draper > 10 -Josh Rachele
11 - Jye Amiss > 11 -Tyler Sonsie
12 - Tyler Sonsie > 12 -Jye Amiss
13 - Ben Hobbs
14 - Josh Rachele
17 - Zac Taylor
18 - Hugh Jackson
19 - Ned Long
20 - Josh Ward
21 - Matt Roberts
22 - Jacob Van Rooyen
23 - Toby Conway
26 - Josh Browne
27 - Judson Clarke
28 - Lewis Rayson
29 - Oscar Morrison
30 - Rhett Bazzo

lve made my adjustment as l see it...But thanks for the effort putting it together,,,,

Cotchin pick 2
Vlastuin pick 9
caddy pick 7,
grimes pick 2

Then you have some you'd redraft in top 10 like Rance and Houli... and a few others.

I'm not saying anything is a certainty, but this year is a dead rubber, with very very little expectation. Unlike next year and every year after that for the next decade.

Play the kids, give us one last pull into the real talent pool and lets go get that dynasty.

Prestia was pick 9 as well.

Surely picks 6-12 are considered 'mid' first rounders.

I'm not sure quoting a bunch of guys picked up after finishing 12th or higher are doing much to support the notion that we need to lose and get pick 1 because only the top few picks count.

It's not like if we win a few of the next matches that we're all of a sudden gonna end up with pick 12.

Cotchin pick 2
Vlastuin pick 9
caddy pick 7,
grimes pick 2

Steavo pick 6
JZ pick 9
LDU pick 4
Cunnington pick 5
LMac pick 8
Simpkin pick 12
Polec pick 5
Bonar pick 11
Tyson pick 3
Phillips pick 3
Hall pick 7, preseason

Plus
Taz 15
Corr pick 14
Garnor pick 15

They aren’t elite intercept marks though.

Gibcus looks like he could play as that half back interceptor behind Corr and McKay moving forward.
My own highly uneducated 10 cents worth after reading copious pages of this thread. After assessing the various strengths and weakness' of various draft picks and being blinded (clearly for very good reason) like so many throughout the year by the allure of Jason Horne I've changed my mind.

With the strong belief now that we won't get the wooden spoon, I guess I've decided to dig a little deeper and assess in terms of the list management requirements. With all of that in mind I also feel like the player that we should select is Gibcus. An elite KPD just seems the obvious choice moving forward. Of course I wouldn't be disappointed to get Horne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back