2021 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not 100% convinced on the Worpel/Mitchell combination at the same time. So could see O'Meara/Wingard/Mitchell working better. Agree that Worpel needs to add another dimension.
Yeh, agree that Worpel + Mitchell may not ever produce the sum of each individual part & I think it's Worpel that'll need to add the dimensions

Howe is on borrowed time for me. Depth player.
He is another that just can never get on the park consistently. Always injured.

Last roll of the dice in 2021.

Does anyone think if the Mitchell and Worpel partnership don't work next year, do we look to move Worpel on because he has more trade value?
No.

We make it work with better coaching, we don't get rid of good players due to their prospects being inexplicably linked to those of a completely different player.

Last edited:

Howe seems to play better as a defender than he does as a midfielder. Considering the amount of medium defenders on the list already like Sicily, Scrimshaw, Day and Greaves, I’m not sure where this leaves Howe for next year.

Howe seems to play better as a defender than he does as a midfielder. Considering the amount of medium defenders on the list already like Sicily, Scrimshaw, Day and Greaves, I’m not sure where this leaves Howe for next year.

We should have put him up for trade last year because of this to see if there was any bites.

The Mitchell O'Meara Worpel combo SHOULD work in the middle, they are very good defensively and not shy to do the dirty work with tackling, they're also not too bad getting into space either but it's the cohesion and the ball use that has let them down time and again. But if Mitchell Hodge Lewis combo is anything to go by then this new batch need a bit more time to play together as the premiership combo really only got clicking in their second half of their careers ( as a combo not individuals). Burgoyne was the best 4th banana as any going around and here that spot could be taken up by Chad.
What we really lacking is the secondary mids to take up the slack,. Shiels, cousins and maybe Finn! When Mitchell Hodge Lewis were resting in different positions we had Roughead Cyril breust Burgoyne Shiels winning clearances and giving opposition mids no time to breath or rest.
We get this mix right then we'll see a huge improvement in getting the ball to our Frwds.

The Mitchell O'Meara Worpel combo SHOULD work in the middle, they are very good defensively and not shy to do the dirty work with tackling, they're also not too bad getting into space either but it's the cohesion and the ball use that has let them down time and again. But if Mitchell Hodge Lewis combo is anything to go by then this new batch need a bit more time to play together as the premiership combo really only got clicking in their second half of their careers ( as a combo not individuals). Burgoyne was the best 4th banana as any going around and here that spot could be taken up by Chad.
What we really lacking is the secondary mids to take up the slack,. Shiels, cousins and maybe Finn! When Mitchell Hodge Lewis were resting in different positions we had Roughead Cyril breust Burgoyne Shiels winning clearances and giving opposition mids no time to breath or rest.
We get this mix right then we'll see a huge improvement in getting the ball to our Frwds.
I reckon there's a few differences from the Hodge, Mitchell & Lewis era.

Firstly, the 6-6-6 rule.

Previously we'd play 7 man defence & have Hill + that other guy (shall not be named) on the wings. We had Birchall coming off HB & 2 of the league's best wingmen outside - getting the ball out in any direction was a win because we could either run it forward & break the HF/HB wall by kicking over it; or, we could get it out sideways or even backwards & have superior numbers.

Quality of personnel & disposal skills aside, we can no longer use that tactic.

I reckon there's also a big problem with our defensive mindset - about limiting loss as opposed to wanting to win - but I'll concede that this is likely a personnel thing (I still don't like it). This means we rarely (f'en never) break out of the middle, charge forward & attack the top of the square or kick to the advantage of a leading Full Forward. Having this option would make any midfield unit more dynamic & offensive, but we don't employ that tactic.

Howe's best spot is as a tagger/stopper. Make him watch hours of Brett Kirk and Cameron Ling videos (on the field obviously - watching them as boundary riders isn't going to do anyone any good). Howe needs to become an elite tagger. Imagine if we had someone who could reliably sit on a Dangerfield, Fyfe, Bontempelli or Dusty and take them out of the game. I know it's all about zones and systems but I like the idea of a bonafide negative player with just one job - to stop the opposition's best

I’m annoyingly positive as you all know.

I couldn’t be happier with our recruitment and trades this year. I was super worried about run and X factor and also was the worried about key position players.

Hawks have gone all out on all of the above. Will it work? Dunno - but we recruited exactly in the way I wanted us to.

I don’t expect much from this year other than seeing the beginnings of a more functioning forward line and much better forward entries. Even if it is by round ten we work this out for the rest of the year I would be stoked.

Very keen to see Day and Impey this year and I am going to bet on our midfield making more sense of each other after a year that went far below my expectations. It’s a much younger side and they need to have some flair to get the team mojo happening. Would love a come from behind win on the backs of younger players or something like that. We need some belief coming from the younger ranks.

I’m really looking forward to this year. Clarko loves the offensive game and his recruitment seems to be heading in that direction.

I don’t expect finals but if it happens I’ll be stoked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howe's best spot is as a tagger/stopper. Make him watch hours of Brett Kirk and Cameron Ling videos (on the field obviously - watching them as boundary riders isn't going to do anyone any good). Howe needs to become an elite tagger. Imagine if we had someone who could reliably sit on a Dangerfield, Fyfe, Bontempelli or Dusty and take them out of the game. I know it's all about zones and systems but I like the idea of a bonafide negative player with just one job - to stop the opposition's best
Agree 100%. Elite players can make your system look bad (Dusty anyone?) so I'm not against using this tactic, but not all the time.

Hola Hawks Fans, always interested in project rucks across the league and their development. What's the general feeling on Reeves moving forward? I saw him in a twos match a while back and thought he showed a bit.

Firstly, the 6-6-6 rule.

Previously we'd play 7 man defence & have Hill + that other guy (shall not be named) on the wings. We had Birchall coming off HB & 2 of the league's best wingmen outside - getting the ball out in any direction was a win because we could either run it forward & break the HF/HB wall by kicking over it; or, we could get it out sideways or even backwards & have superior numbers.

I reckon there's also a big problem with our defensive mindset - about limiting loss as opposed to wanting to win - but I'll concede that this is likely a personnel thing (I still don't like it). This means we rarely (f'en never) break out of the middle, charge forward & attack the top of the square or kick to the advantage of a leading Full Forward. Having this option would make any midfield unit more dynamic & offensive, but we don't employ that tactic.

‘and then there was that brief but glorious period when Lake was FB and the rest had the confidence not to press back so hard. So maybe it is personell, confidence and gelling

Hola Hawks Fans, always interested in project rucks across the league and their development. What's the general feeling on Reeves moving forward? I saw him in a twos match a while back and thought he showed a bit.
He’s green, and none of us have seen much of him since 2019.

Club insiders think we could have a player, but it remains to be seen.

Firstly, the 6-6-6 rule.

I'll give you the 6-6-6 rule, that seems to have effected us more than most clubs but my point was more about getting clearences cleanly so that our wings and half backs are more confident in riding shot gun just on the outside for the receive. This will bring Scully, Day, Scrimshaw, Phillips types into more attacking mode and on the front foot knowing that our inside mids are doing the hustling and heavy lifting, would make a huge difference to our attacking mode ,. Also would allow our Frwds more space to move into with the quick entries.
Worth remembering that no team has the Mitchell Hodge Lewis Burgoyne class so we don't need to be like for like. Just be more competitive in the guts. İn 2020, teams at times were waltzing out of the middle with ease and that in its self was pushing us back.

Have seen him at practice and at BHH. He's got reasonable skills and he is a massive unit. I hope we don't do what we did with Lowden and Le Pitt. Gotta put some game time into these rucks and see if they can step up. The re-signing of Brooksby worries me. If Reeves cannot play to Brooksby level after three pre-seasons, I don't like his chances.

No doubt he will continue to develop in the VFL for 3 years before being traded to another club for a pick in the 70's. He will then go on to be the #1 ruck at his new club and be a very good addition.

That's pretty much the cycle of a developing ruck these days isn't it?

Either Wopel Or Mitchell need to be able to rotate off HFF and deliver inside 50 a la Lewis. Not entirely sure they have the disposal but maybe...? If that can happen then i think we are getting our midfield mix about right for the next few years and it will just come down to form and coaching.

Our backline has a lot of options now and just needs time to gel. Some mix of Scrimshaw, Day, Hardwick, Frost, Shaggy, Hartigan, Impey and Sicily (when fit) will provide good stopping and rebound but it often takes time for everyone to build confidence in their role and the abilities of those around them.

That leaves the forward line as the final piece of the puzzle and we need to roll a few players through there to see who has it. Gunston and Breust are guns. Burgoyne is a legend but should be only used to mentor younger player (not stand in their way) and the rest of the places are up for grabs. I like Lewis and Timmy working as a team but they dont often get on the park together. I’m looking forward to seeing Brockman and also hoping his recruitment puts a rocket up hanrahan as i thing he has talent but seems to need a better work rate.

If we can somehow start to use JOM on the outside more where he can use his class we will be such a better side.

Problem is we didn't trade for anyone to play an inside role so we are now relying on Cousins/Finn types to step up and have a major impact.

Could this be a possibility? Big ask.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back