Injury 2021 Injury Updates Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So Houston, who should really still be recovering from his shoulder injury, back in round 10.
Jones could come back - possibly through SANFL, so round 11. But really depth.
Butters back round 13.
Lycett back round 14.
Clurey, if lucky, back round 16.
Duursma is an unknown really. Has been 8-10 weeks since he was injured. May be available leading into the finals.

Has something changed with Butters? In the lead up to the Showdown he was reported as being 10 weeks away with nerve damage. How will he be back by Round 13?

Ankle syndesmosis can take 3 months or more of healing. Bone heals first in 6 to 8 weeks, then the ligaments which can be 12 weeks from point of injury. Which would mean that this Saturday is the halfway point...

As to the nerve damage, which is a common risk associated with this type of surgery, outcomes vary depending on how bad the damage is.

If it's minor, should be fine by 12 weeks although can sometimes take a few months. If it's worse, well, you're looking at disability and nerve pain.

Yeah, he's running but it's not a pretty picture at the moment.
Peroneal nerve damage causes that awkward gait where the foot can drop and/or slap.

Has something changed with Butters? In the lead up to the Showdown he was reported as being 10 weeks away with nerve damage. How will he be back by Round 13?
The nerve damage occurred in round 4. I believe 10 weeks is the extreme end of recovery from nerves damage (assuming not severed). But he is running at the moment. So another four weeks before available for a game is feasible. It may not be AFL though. As mentioned before, these are day by day propositions and he could be back sooner. I think round 13 or 14 is feasible, but I do not know his personal situation and the outcome of any nerve or strength testing. I was expressing a bit of an opinion and I apologise if it did not come across that way.

The nerve damage occurred in round 4. I believe 10 weeks is the extreme end of recovery from nerves damage (assuming not severed). But he is running at the moment. So another four weeks before available for a game is feasible. It may not be AFL though. As mentioned before, these are day by day propositions and he could be back sooner. I think round 13 or 14 is feasible, but I do not know his personal situation and the outcome of any nerve or strength testing. I was expressing a bit of an opinion and I apologise if it did not come across that way.

Why are we backdating the 10 weeks to when the injury occurred though? I’m pretty sure when it was reported leading into Round 8 it was 10 weeks from then.

Why are we backdating the 10 weeks to when the injury occurred though? I’m pretty sure when it was reported leading into Round 8 it was 10 weeks from then.
Please, I am not being disrespectful in the reason for the backdate being to when the injury occurred is because the standard expectations for nerve damage recovery could be 8 to 10 weeks from when the injury occurred. Not a precise science though. I accept you have heard/read later reports referring to 10 weeks, but I am wondering if it was picked up as ten weeks from statement date as compared to ten weeks from injury date. Time will show whether my thinking is right or wrong. If I am wrong, then there is a good chance we won’t see him until round 18, which again is likely to be through the SANFL.

I actually thought Butters running looked quite promising. Yeah he is hobbling a bit but that is to be expected coming back from his injuries. I run like that normally.

Watching the Clurey incident live, I thought the clash busted his lip or perhaps knocked a tooth out. To break a jaw there is incredibly unlucky.
As soon as I saw it live I thought broken jaw/cheekbone, and said immediately to my dad thatll be weeks but we have McKenzie. He copped the brunt of the other players head straight to the cheek, was always going to be trouble.

Please, I am not being disrespectful in the reason for the backdate being to when the injury occurred is because the standard expectations for nerve damage recovery could be 8 to 10 weeks from when the injury occurred. Not a precise science though. I accept you have heard/read later reports referring to 10 weeks, but I am wondering if it was picked up as ten weeks from statement date as compared to ten weeks from injury date. Time will show whether my thinking is right or wrong. If I am wrong, then there is a good chance we won’t see him until round 18, which again is likely to be through the SANFL.

I would think that if you give an injury update and quote a timeframe it starts from the time of the update. Otherwise it’s just really confusing. That’s my take on it anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a typical broken jaw. Monty, so compassionate :p

Schofield gets talked up more as the Hinkley replacement, but I've come round more to Monty is the one that wouldn't tolerate the mental weakness that runs deep through our list. I can see him being more ruthless and putting the likes of Hartlett out to pasture, whether he wanted to play on or not.

Talking to Connor Rozee on AA last night, he said he’s been playing golf with him lately and he’s fine for that but the nerve just catches him with some particular movements. Sounded like he was progressing, but didn’t talk about a particular timeframe.

So what would the nerve pain do, anybody know? Like pain, weakness?
Does he have nerve pain, which from personal experience can be debilitating, or is he experiencing weakness?

“But as I was running last week I noticed some weakness in the same leg and got some scans … and it is pretty unfortunate, it’s a pretty rare thing to happen but from the same incident I have some nerve damage in my leg
."

Does he have nerve pain, which from personal experience can be debilitating, or is he experiencing weakness?

“But as I was running last week I noticed some weakness in the same leg and got some scans … and it is pretty unfortunate, it’s a pretty rare thing to happen but from the same incident I have some nerve damage in my leg."

'Nerve weakness can be cured through regular exercise, proper rest, taking proper health care conditions and eating a proper and balanced diet.'

So lets send him a salad.

So what would the nerve pain do, anybody know? Like pain, weakness?
I have dead nerves in both my feet it different to damaged. I have burning pain then sometime feet feel frozen have started to sleep with socks on.
It's feels numb but super sensitive at the same time if a step on a large crumb or small rock feels like I'm getting stabbed .
I've been told nothing will fix it and will never get better because nerves regrow super slow and because my nerves are non responsive in a nerve conduction test from half way down my shin.
That's why I panicked when I heard about Zakk but damage alot better outcome than dead obviously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back