NFL 2021 NFL - Divisional Weekend

Divisional Winners?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Now, having said all that—I was listening to some national sports talk show on way in to work this morning.

He suggested 2 options that I could get behind if we “must” do something about the coin flip.

They were:

1) home team gets the ball to start any ot in regular season and playoffs.

This is appealing to me in that it rewards a team in playoffs for being higher seed.

Don't mind it at all.

QBRs

Tannehill 10.4
Burrow 28.2
Brady 14.0
Stafford 67.7
Jimmy G 11.9
Rodgers 19.4
Allen 90.3
Mahomes 96.0

The difference between Brady and Stafford shows how much Brady's luck was off the charts (even for him) in that game for it to be 27 all with 40 seconds to go.

Looking at all the other games that were tight, QBR difference is far less.

Last edited:

What about the Super Bowl? I like the idea of home team in the playoffs
Didn’t say but you would think the better record be designated home team for Super Bowl

There would be ways to make a team a 'home team' for a SB match up.

If both teams were same seed in their conference.

Then go to most wins for the season.

Then something else if that was tied

and so on.

Didn’t say but you would think the better record be designated home team for Super Bowl
Nah for Super Bowls no advantage to home team. Teams have a 8 month rest until following season, no reason why can’t guarantee a possession each for SB….and the first possession must be two pointer attempt if a TD..to make it more exciting and to take away the advantage of going second. Done deal

Well that bar is set so low it would be difficult for anyone who can fog up a mirror not to be better

There are 3 parts of the game in professional football. Every team understands they will need players to perform on each of those 3 units.

Defense is just as much a part of professional football as any other aspect of the game.

Buffalo completely and totally failed to play defense

That isn’t a result of a coin flip.

Coin flip in no way, shape or form prevented Buffalo from playing defense.

I get in today’s world everyone wants to excuse life’s consequences. Everyone wants to re-write and/or ignore rules that impose adverse consequences upon them.

It is exactly why crap that goes on everyday everywhere happens.

The Bills were aware of the consequences of failing to stop the Chiefs from tying the game. They were aware of the consequences of failing to prevent a td in overtime.

They failed, they lost.

Own it and be accountable.

Crying about a coin flip is…just sad

Kansas city on the other hand failed to play defence, and was rewarded.

How can playing all three phases only be important for one team?

Kansas city on the other hand failed to play defence, and was rewarded.

How can playing all three phases only be important for one team?
Not sure why people keep ignoring this very basic fact. Both offences were equally brilliant as both defences were equally s**t

Imagine in Baseball, goes to extra innings, in the top of the 10th inning a team hits a home run...they call game over, before the next team gets to bat in the bottom of their 10th inning to try to tie it or win it

"Shouldnt have allowed a home run then...lol"

Would be a farce, just like its a farce both offenses dont get at least 1 posession on offense in NFL OT.

******* stupidity to use that excuse "they should have defended"

Be honest, when the Chiefs won the toss how many of us immediately thought they would win. I reckon all of us did.

Hmmm i wouldnt think OT should generate that feeling after a coin toss.

I've tried to stay out of this debate but after thinking about it I tend to agree with you.

These OT rules may have been fine 20-30 years ago when defenses could actually defend but now that it is such an offense favoured league just saying "the game has two aspects, you need to play defense as well as offense" just doesn't ring true. Not sure what the answer is, you can't just say "if its still ties after two possessions (ie both teams score) then next score wins because you are still disadvantaging the team who took possession second.

So if each team gets a possession and then scores a TD...because fair.

Then what?

I'd keep playing in playoffs I honestly don't care how long it goes and think the argument that this is an ill is wrong.

In regular season- the tie looms large.

We keep playing until 1 team scores a TD and the other doesn’t.

(Sarcasm)

Why can't you play a playoff game until the tie is broken?

They're already doing that, they just have a manifestly unfair way of breaking the tie.

I'd keep playing in playoffs I honestly don't care how long it goes and think the argument that this is an ill is wrong.

In regular season- the tie looms large.

Absolutely keep playing, point is, the team that won the coin toss is still favoured.

Edit: Yesterday, how many chances do you give the Bills, losing the coin toss, to finally put up some defense?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely keep playing, point is, the team that won the coin toss is still favoured.

Perfect is not the enemy of the good. Construct the fairest system that you can. Minimise unfairness. That you can't entirely eliminate it is not a reason not to.

Edit: Yesterday, how many chances do you give the Bills, losing the coin toss, to finally put up some defense?

Why does only the Bills not playing defence count?

KC also failed to play defence, they just were awarded a situation through chance where they could win without it. A possibility only available to one of the teams.

Nah for Super Bowls no advantage to home team. Teams have a 8 month rest until following season, no reason why can’t guarantee a possession each for SB….and the first possession must be two pointer attempt if a TD..to make it more exciting and to take away the advantage of going second. Done deal
No sir

Can’t go for that

Nobody listens to Bill Simmons' podcast? He had a suggestion about OT rules. If Team A scores a TD on its first possession of overtime, then Team B gets the ball and has to score a TD in the same number of players as it took Team A to keep the game going, and if Team B scores the TD in one less play than Team A took, then Team B wins. If Team B doesn't score the TD in the same number of plays as Team A took, then Team A wins the game. For example, the Chiefs took seven plays to score the touchdown in OT. So the Bills get the ball back knowing they have to score a TD in seven plays to keep the game going, or a TD in six plays to win it.

If Team A scores a FG (or punts or turns the ball over) on their first possession, then the current OT rules apply, e.g., Team B can win it with a TD or a FG (in the event Team A doesn't score).

Perfect is not the enemy of the good. Construct the fairest system that you can. Minimise unfairness. That you can't entirely eliminate it is not a reason not to.

Maybe they already had.

If it was so unjust, let me look through this thread for the number of people complaining about the OT rule before it actually happened. It's not like it shouldn't be fore of mind for many given we had already seen 3 games this weekend decided by late points where OT was a real possibility.

Nobody listens to Bill Simmons' podcast? He had a suggestion about OT rules. If Team A scores a TD on its first possession of overtime, then Team B gets the ball and has to score a TD in the same number of players as it took Team A to keep the game going, and if Team B scores the TD in one less play than Team A took, then Team B wins. If Team B doesn't score the TD in the same number of plays as Team A took, then Team A wins the game. For example, the Chiefs took seven plays to score the touchdown in OT. So the Bills get the ball back knowing they have to score a TD in seven plays to keep the game going, or a TD in six plays to win it.

If Team A scores a FG (or punts or turns the ball over) on their first possession, then the current OT rules apply, e.g., Team B can win it with a TD or a FG (in the event Team A doesn't score).
Rubbish idea. Unfair advantage to teams who favour the pass.

I don't think the coin toss is the issue, the issue is that teams don't get the ball and lose. Its a s**t way to end a game. KC score a TD, Bills have to score a TD on their drive or they lose. If they do just keep going. Still gives an advantage to the side that wins the coin toss, but at least the other team can try match it on offence.

Back