2021 Non-Crows AFL Talk 2: are the VFL corrupt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two of the more pathetic bits of this is that in just the 3rd or 4th paragraph it's the whole us against them mentality which they so dearly crave. No one cares about Port, yet here they are again insinuating everyone is against them.

I also find it highly unlikely that "many" members have contacted the club wanting to donate. What a crock.

Of course no one has contacted the club. It is a line fed to the masses to guilt them into contributing. I.e. if everyone is doing it, then I'll need to as well...

They've been talking themselves up recently as if they are one of the big 4 clubs, saying everyone is jealous of their success, etc but now they come out rattling the tins to pay off their debts! Hilarious!

Makes last week's stunt look even more idiotic

The question is, why is this bloke consistently getting in the players way?
If he caused Dusty to do a knee in that collision it would be a very different story in the media
The umpire IMO did his job right, the problem is that the umpries need to be given a new directive here, given video technology.

They dont need to get into the perfect decision for a situation like this. Spatial awareness is totally lacking.

Amazing they are so dumb its taken them what, 5 years or more, to fugure this out?..

They’ve had soft draws and dream runs for the last 5 years.. each year they start with a bang, on fire, smashing their way through the bottom teams but losing when they come up against the top sides. They make the finals and crash out.

Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat.

They get fed this absolute horseshit narrative from their club that they are the best club in the land, have this unbelievable list and they lap it up.. then it all ends in tears.

Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat.

I legitimately felt sorry for them circa 2011/12. Bought into their sob stories about the SANFL etc. Rest assured I won’t be making that mistake again 👍

Interesting thread was started on the main board by a well known North supporter prior to the season, questioning Ports viability. Of course because the thread creator supports North of all teams, there was the usual pile on and the Power supporters were most aggrieved... but valid points were made. North for all their faults, have made a concerted effort to pay down debt and maintain a fiscally responsible operation. I mean you won’t get me disagreeing that there are too many teams in Victoria and if push came to shove, they may be in the gun. But compare them to say Port and St Kilda in terms of the way the latter clubs have just wasted money and yet still have the audacity to put their hands out for more.

Port have been living beyond their means for a long, long time. One would think their financial expert Chairman would have stepped in to try and right the ship and make some changes, but alas no - the marketing and gimmick machine must roll on. They are in a mess again and have no one to blame but themselves.

Dixon is a poor mans Mason Cox

You know a forward is struggling when the narrative becomes he is important for the side because he competes. Same when people say the same about Walker.

Rozee is a big problem for them. Clearly injured but also struggling for form and non-work ratee. I said it at the time that a players first year form does not always become the baseline for the rest of their career. He will clearly have a great career but he may only match his first year form consistently over the year a couple of times over his career. They should of learned from Powell- Pepper.

I legitimately felt sorry for them circa 2011/12. Bought into their sob stories about the SANFL etc. Rest assured I won’t be making that mistake again 👍

Interesting thread was started on the main board by a well known North supporter prior to the season, questioning Ports viability. Of course because the thread creator supports North of all teams, there was the usual pile on and the Power supporters were most aggrieved... but valid points were made. North for all their faults, have made a concerted effort to pay down debt and maintain a fiscally responsible operation. I mean you won’t get me disagreeing that there are too many teams in Victoria and if push came to shove, they may be in the gun. But compare them to say Port and St Kilda in terms of the way the latter clubs have just wasted money and yet still have the audacity to put their hands out for more.

Port have been living beyond their means for a long, long time. One would think their financial expert Chairman would have stepped in to try and right the ship and make some changes, but alas no - the marketing and gimmick machine must roll on. They are in a mess again and have no one to blame but themselves.
Kochie "strategy" was and I re-call him saying "if we can tap into just 0.1% of the China market with them signing up as members". That was their supposed saving grace which clearly hasn't worked and now they are asking their supporters to assist them to pay down their $12M debt after they piss off the AFL a week ago who has provided them millions in handout already.

I think KT did some good things at Port. His biggest failures were not calling an end to things sooner when they were not working.

1) Hinkley should never have got the extensions he got.

2) China was a good experiment for a year but it became a huge distraction and it seems like very little benefit. The problem is they went all in and too stubborn to pull out. Thankfully COVID gave them an exit strategy without the embarrassment.

You know a forward is struggling when the narrative becomes he is important for the side because he competes. Same when people say the same about Walker.

Rozee is a big problem for them. Clearly injured but also struggling for form and non-work ratee. I said it at the time that a players first year form does not always become the baseline for the rest of their career. He will clearly have a great career but he may only match his first year form consistently over the year a couple of times over his career. They should of learned from Powell- Pepper.
Rozee has been regularly missing for much of games. Last night I had to check it he was actually playing. He only had 2 disposals in the 1st half.

Have to wonder whether he is still having issues with his foot...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rozee has been regularly missing for much of games. Last night I had to check it he was actually playing. He only had 2 disposals in the 1st half.

Have to wonder whether he is still having issues with his foot...

I think he is, not sure if short term rest helps? Better to miss a few weeks now. Last year they had a great run with injury's and ran out on Prelim final day with virtually their best side. That doesn't happen very often.

Last edited:
Re: Port and debt I think they may legit be in a bad way asking members to put thier hands in pockets now
Sent the below email out yesterday:

Welcome to the Chasing Greatness Fund.

At the Port Adelaide Football Club, we are investing in football, facilities and sustainability.

We have set ambitious goals in our ‘Chasing Greatness’ Strategic Vision for the next five years, which includes winning premierships, successful entry into the AFLW competition, reaching 100,000 members and redeveloping the Alberton Oval precinct.

People who don’t understand Port Adelaide question the boldness of our plan, which just says they don’t understand the values our Club has been built on. Port Adelaide expects to win, and we embrace that expectation in all we do.

We are six months into our plan and well placed on and off the field thanks to the wonderful support already of our members and partners, but we want to turbo-charge our chase. Many members have contacted the Club wanting to do more, as is the Port Adelaide way.

The facility re-development projects at Alberton Oval are progressing well, but the more investment we can secure the better the legacy we will build for our Club and our people, and reducing debt has to be a priority. ‘Business as usual’ is tracking well as a more focused football club and we will reduce debt through this, but we want to accelerate it so we eradicate debt, and our first target is the $4m we added due to COVID in 2020.

To help Port Adelaide achieve our ambition, we invite you to contribute to the Chasing Greatness Fund, where you can play a more active role in supporting our goals.

Reducing debt enables us to fully invest in our football programs, to ensure we give our players and coaches the best chance of achieving the ultimate success.

The Chasing Greatness Fund also provides the option to invest in legacy, by directly contributing to the facilities at Alberton Oval. The plans we have in place now will provide world class training and rehabilitation facilities for our players, but just as importantly, a social club for our most important people - the members and fans of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

The investment in the social club at Alberton ensures it remains the place where our members and community connect and engage directly with the Club and a place you are proud of. This is a legacy that current and future generations of the Port Adelaide family will be proud to call home.

The Port Adelaide Football Club has faced up to every challenge over its 151-year history and with you, we are attacking this next chapter.

609f13f632b3f.jpg

Matthew Richardson
Chief Executive Officer
for a club that sneers and thumbs their nose at the sanfl and their clubs, this is a very sanfl club move.

Re: Port and debt I think they may legit be in a bad way asking members to put thier hands in pockets now
Sent the below email out yesterday:

Welcome to the Chasing Greatness Fund.

At the Port Adelaide Football Club, we are investing in football, facilities and sustainability.

We have set ambitious goals in our ‘Chasing Greatness’ Strategic Vision for the next five years, which includes winning premierships, successful entry into the AFLW competition, reaching 100,000 members and redeveloping the Alberton Oval precinct.

People who don’t understand Port Adelaide question the boldness of our plan, which just says they don’t understand the values our Club has been built on. Port Adelaide expects to win, and we embrace that expectation in all we do.

We are six months into our plan and well placed on and off the field thanks to the wonderful support already of our members and partners, but we want to turbo-charge our chase. Many members have contacted the Club wanting to do more, as is the Port Adelaide way.

The facility re-development projects at Alberton Oval are progressing well, but the more investment we can secure the better the legacy we will build for our Club and our people, and reducing debt has to be a priority. ‘Business as usual’ is tracking well as a more focused football club and we will reduce debt through this, but we want to accelerate it so we eradicate debt, and our first target is the $4m we added due to COVID in 2020.

To help Port Adelaide achieve our ambition, we invite you to contribute to the Chasing Greatness Fund, where you can play a more active role in supporting our goals.

Reducing debt enables us to fully invest in our football programs, to ensure we give our players and coaches the best chance of achieving the ultimate success.

The Chasing Greatness Fund also provides the option to invest in legacy, by directly contributing to the facilities at Alberton Oval. The plans we have in place now will provide world class training and rehabilitation facilities for our players, but just as importantly, a social club for our most important people - the members and fans of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

The investment in the social club at Alberton ensures it remains the place where our members and community connect and engage directly with the Club and a place you are proud of. This is a legacy that current and future generations of the Port Adelaide family will be proud to call home.

The Port Adelaide Football Club has faced up to every challenge over its 151-year history and with you, we are attacking this next chapter.

609f13f632b3f.jpg

Matthew Richardson
Chief Executive Officer

What a poorly worded letter.

“Those who don’t understand us don’t get it which just shows they don’t understand us”

“We’ve faced up to every challenge and now we’re attacking the next chall…err..chapt..challenge?? CHAPTER”

“We have plans…BIG plans..plans so big they include winning premierships..you know, just like every other AFL club…but even bigger plans…you can be a part of our even bigger plans..starting with PLEASE FOR CHRIST’S SAKE HELP US PAY OFF THIS DEBT OH MY GOD THE DEBT IS KILLING US SO MUCH DEBT BECAUSE WE’RE SO INCOMPETENT AND UNATTRACTIVE TO MOST SUPPORTERS THAT WE ONLY CHARGE $20 A TICKET AMD WONDER WHY WE’RE NOT MAKING MONEY SO PLEASE SEND ALL YOUR MONEY BECAUSE THIS DEBT IS KILLING US…and yeah so you can be part of our Great Greatness and the Greatly Great Greatness that it will bestow on all of us..please oh please God please help us!!”

still, they should have got more than 32k to a top 4 clash on a perfect Saturday night, hate to see how many they get to their next home game against Freo Sunday twilight

They’re cowards. Chance to beat up a rebuilding Crows and wank on about what that means about how good they are - they’ll turn up. Face a serious contender and have a realistic chance of losing - no thanks I’ll stay home and wear my SANFL guernsey and pretend I’m a real supporter

Yes while they are acceptable reasons, there is no medical reason why he would need to polish off a box that size.

Sure you could be right, but then he would really only need one of those mini boxes. Thats a genuine big arse sized weetbix cereal box.

Imagine that campaigner taking a bus to the game, holding onto his box of cereal. That would frighten passengers off the bus.

I won’t be able to eat Weet Bix anymore, I’ll have visions now of being at footy eating them.

Port built up the must win game against us - a bottom 4 team. It was all in for that game.
It cost them a game against Brisbane and then a game against WB. I hope it costs them any chance of top 4 at seasons end. I wonder if they will still think it was worth it?

Exactly right. Their level of celebration and self congratulation at the end of the game was unbelievable - they should have just walked off with an attitude of “job done” and an eye to future, more difficult opponents. Says everything you need to know about the club

Could Port Power miss the 8?

Unlikely given they have Collingwood (twice), Carlton, St Kilda, Hawthorn and us still to play but they well may miss top 4. Melbourne and Western Bulldogs will more than likely make top 4 so really only two spots up for grabs, I’d suggest Brisbane and Geelong (they have 5 games at GMHBA to come and are against Bullies and Demons so an advantage) will round out top 4.

Port have Geelong (H), Sydney (H), Western Bulldogs (A) and Melbourne (H) which will determine if they make top 4. They lose the lot, it will become difficult for them as Brisbane and Geelong have more favourable draws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back