Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

We are dying for some class and speed in the mid. It’s pretty evident he plays his best footy in the midfield but clarko is so stubborn he just camps him in the forward pocket all game .
Wingard in the middle.
Then bring Merrett in as a FA for 2022.

We are dying for some class and speed in the mid. It’s pretty evident he plays his best footy in the midfield but clarko is so stubborn he just camps him in the forward pocket all game .
Let's hope one of our small forwards such as Moore Hanrahan or Brockman finds the goals regularly in the early games so Clarko doesn't think he is forced to move Wingard there.

Well it actually is, because it seems you may have made an assumption based on who has the better name, rather than knowing their actual roles and responsibilities?
Ha ha yeah I know I was but we all know Jack is one of a kind in his field. I’m sure Boyd does a great job but I assume that he just doesn’t have that extra thing that sets him apart from Jack.

Hi hawks fans, sorry to intrude. Just wondering how big papa Frosty is travelling, fair to say I have a keen interest. Was very good last year, even with you guys making him boring.

Going great. How is Oscar McDonald going? Was a great call by Goodwin to keep him over Frost. Win/Win?
Frosty left because he wanted a bit more money which he deserved after carrying our backline in 2019. The decision to not pay him about $100k more a year has set us back 20 years. You guys are very lucky to have the GOAT, never forget that.

Frosty left because he wanted a bit more money which he deserved after carrying our backline in 2019. The decision to not pay him about $100k more a year has set us back 20 years. You guys are very lucky to have the GOAT, never forget that.
Nope, he was happy to stay for the same amount but Melbourne took their time to offer a deal and we swooped at a nice bargain price. Goodwins public excuse was that Oscar McDonald was a better player.

It isn't stubbornness it is a lack of AFL quality small forwards that was forcing his hand.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingard in the middle.
Then bring Merrett in as a FA for 2022.
A little off topic, but what’s the finish that would have us looking as a club headed back in the right direction? 9th and up?

Can’t see a well regarded FA like Merrett making the jump unless we have a very good 2021 with lots of promise.

Which takes us back to really hoping that Lewis, Jeka take the next step and Tom, JOM, Chad, Scrim, Worps and Day put us on their shoulders.

With Patton (assumed) and Gunston out of action for at least the first few weeks, who other that Jeka could be in the frame to play that tall/kpf roll? Additionally, how would people feel about the club potentially debuting two youngsters and Phillips in one game? DGB, Phillips and Jeka are three changes I'm somewhat anticipating seeing going into r1

With Patton (assumed) and Gunston out of action for at least the first few weeks, who other that Jeka could be in the frame to play that tall/kpf roll? Additionally, how would people feel about the club potentially debuting two youngsters and Phillips in one game? DGB, Phillips and Jeka are three changes I'm somewhat anticipating seeing going into r1
It will be TOB and Lewis with the 2 key tall posts. Perhaps a resting ruck in McEvoy or Ceglar. Just can't see Clarko loading up with youth early in the season.

It will be TOB and Lewis with the 2 key tall posts. Perhaps a resting ruck in McEvoy or Ceglar. Just can't see Clarko loading up with youth early in the season.
Understandable- I suppose with Gunners out I see TOB taking over his role a little more- if we go with just TOB/Lewis I think that'd mean we'd need to see BB resting forward otherwise we'd be looking somewhat short/not dynamic in that area.

i expect the hope is that Jeka will eventually displace TOB (or that TOB will... you know... catch ball) by the end of 2021

that's my hope anyway

i expect the hope is that Jeka will eventually displace TOB (or that TOB will... you know... catch ball) by the end of 2021

that's my hope anyway
We want Jeka replacing that ridiculous 2nd Ruckman - playing TO'B allows that to happen.

We needed to make those moves to improve the makeup of our list. If we didn't do that and went balls deep in the draft with the limited picks we would have had available, there'd be an absolute dearth of talent in the mid to late 20s as we had far too many 30+ leave all within a few years.

Blokes like Scully, Frost and Hartigan are great pick ups because they were cheap to get, they're handy to meet minimum player payments and they're all hard workers and great trainers who help to instill those qualities into the kids we get. They take hits and help compete.

As far as recovering and rebounding from a sustained period of excellence with one of the best lists in the history of the game, I feel we've done better to rework the makeup of our list than most similar teams in recent history.

Frost and Hartigan were both fit when we picked them up and Scrimmers a young kid so you have missed my point.

scully and patton were completely broken down and neither was our first option but both taken once we missed on our main targets.

Also both Scully and Patton are on good wedge.

Let’s be brutally honest Scullys 2 years with us have been ordinary. I know someone will pull out a stat that shows he has done more kms than the road runner but he has been very poor.

This being a contract year and all might see a spike in effort and performance hopefully.

Both Scully and Patton were low risk, high reward trades for what we gave up.

Can we stop making out like handing over Pick 58 for a player who can play a role at senior level is some sort of list issue.

If downie and the others are good enough they should have no trouble pushing scully out of the best 22 mid way thru the season. Scully is who he is, a gut running wing that saves you interchanges and provides a link up. Wasn’t he our leading score involvement player or a stat similar to that ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back