Teams 2021 St.Kilda Best 22 (assuming all players are fit)

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that, but should we be really picking someone as a 'just in case' someone does an injury? If they think Ryder is a high risk in a game, then he shouldn't be selected in the first place.

Our midfield should be good enough to rove to the oppositions ruckman if Ryder isn't in there. And if they struggle at clearances because Ryder isn't spoon feeding it to them every time, then we are a long way off being a contending side

RE your point below about McKernan - just because Marshall is injured, it doesnt mean he should be a walk up start either. He should still have to prove he is worth picking as a forward/ruck rather than us going to a more mobile forward line, or with an extra small etc. We have to be flexible with our ability to adjust to different set ups around the ground depending on who is available that week rather than only being able to play with a specific structure every week.

Were not picking someone "just in case" were picking the next best ruck option. McKernan isnt a walk up start hes the best option with Roma out. I dont think Ryder is a high risk but if we dont support a 30+ year old ruckman were exposing him to risk that we just dont need to.

The bolded is just a weird comment. Im arguing that against GWS we can exploit a weakness with two ruckmen, against Melbourne we just shouldnt be throwing bodies at Gawn.

Were not picking someone "just in case" were picking the next best ruck option. McKernan isnt a walk up start hes the best option with Roma out. I dont think Ryder is a high risk but if we dont support a 30+ year old ruckman were exposing him to risk that we just dont need to.

The bolded is just a weird comment. Im arguing that against GWS we can exploit a weakness with two ruckmen, against Melbourne we just shouldnt be throwing bodies at Gawn.
McKernan might be the most similar player on the list to fill Marshall's ruck/forward role but that doesn't mean he is the best option for the best 22. We dont have to fill that spot with someone to play exactly Marshall's roll if there is another player who can improve the overall best 22 more than him.

McKernan might be the most similar player on the list to fill Marshall's ruck/forward role but that doesn't mean he is the best option for the best 22. We dont have to fill that spot with someone to play exactly Marshall's roll if there is another player who can improve the overall best 22 more than him.
I agree. I don’t think anyone else improves the 22 more given the intangibles of having a proper second ruck and the gamestyle we employ.

BrutThough have you put your rd 1 and then overall team up? Apologies I can’t recall seeing it.
I haven't done one since all our injures.

Best 22 with everyone but Paton fit
FB: Geary Howard Wilkie
HB: Coffield Carlisle Sinclair
C: Hill Steele Hannebery
HF: Billings Membrey Higgins
FF: Butler King Marshall
R: Ryder Crouch Gresham
I/C: Jones, Ross, Clark, Battle

Long, Webster and Lonie the three unlucky to miss.

What I think Round 1will be
FB: Webster Frawley Wilkie
HB: Coffield Howard Sinclair
FF: Butler King Battle
R: Ryder Clark Gresham
I/C:Jones, Ross, Bytel, Lonie

The main debate here was between Webster or Long but went Webster since I think he's better suited to lock down than Long. And then Wood or Lonie but went Lonie because I think combo of Butler, Higgins and Lonie could cause opposition defences a lot of headaches.

I haven't done one since all our injures.

Best 22 with everyone but Paton fit
HB: Coffield Carlisle Sinclair
I/C: Jones, Ross, Clark, Battle

Long, Webster and Lonie the three unlucky to miss.

What I think Round 1will be
FB: Webster Frawley Wilkie
HB: Coffield Howard Sinclair
FF: Butler King Battle
R: Ryder Clark Gresham
I/C:Jones, Ross, Bytel, Lonie

The main debate here was between Webster or Long but went Webster since I think he's better suited to lock down than Long. And then Wood or Lonie but went Lonie because I think combo of Butler, Higgins and Lonie could cause opposition defences a lot of headaches.

Unless they have a McGovern who intercepts instead of spoils. Then we have less guys competing in the air and taking our interceptors.

Not an argument about it but that round one team, who takes the bounce when Ryder is off?

HB: Coffield Carlisle Clarke
C: Hill Steele Jones
HF: Higgins Membrey Billings
I/C: Sinclair, Ross, Long, Battle

Unless they have a McGovern who intercepts instead of spoils. Then we have less guys competing in the air and taking our interceptors.

Not an argument about it but that round one team, who takes the bounce when Ryder is off?
Battle could take them. King takes the throws ins up forward.

As I said before, Howard could also take them if needed. Some Port fans said he use to do it for them so he's done it before. Presuming GWS are sending one of their forwards when their rucks is resting, Frawley and Wilkie could cover the other two during the few bounces.

He plays when Marshall AND Ryder are injured.

Nah that's the nightmare scenario we got Hunter for.

Ratts will want to preserve the structure of the side as much as possible I think.

That means if ryder or roma are injured, mckernan comes in.
As long as he is halfway decent, he'll keep his spot until both first choice rucks are back.

Nah that's the nightmare scenario we got Hunter for.

Ratts will want to preserve the structure of the side as much as possible I think.

That means if ryder or roma are injured, mckernan comes in.
As long as he is halfway decent, he'll keep his spot until both first choice rucks are back.
This is my thought process too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from Ryder's great 2020 season, our rucks are just adequate and we need to have a backup ruck on the bench. Hunter just needs more game time to get up to scratch and will probably be a bonus pickup in the end, as there's no substitute for big strong bodies.
We need to kick more goals, and need the midfield to get on the scoreboard a bit more. I would say that McKernan may spend time being a forward/ruck, as Membrey didn't quite get on the scoreboard enough last year and we need insurance. Bytel should be in the middle in Round 1. Battle needs to be an exclusive forward, nor rucking or in the backline.

It really depends on how important they see the second ruck role as. GWS will probably just have either Finlayson or Himmelburg doing 4-6 minutes a quarter in there. Neither of them are even close to genuine second rucks so we could get by with Battle or Wood going up against them for those stints.
Howard did the fill in role for Port so it's only a problem if we lose Paddy

Apart from Ryder's great 2020 season, our rucks are just adequate and we need to have a backup ruck on the bench. Hunter just needs more game time to get up to scratch and will probably be a bonus pickup in the end, as there's no substitute for big strong bodies.
We need to kick more goals, and need the midfield to get on the scoreboard a bit more. I would say that McKernan may spend time being a forward/ruck, as Membrey didn't quite get on the scoreboard enough last year and we need insurance. Bytel should be in the middle in Round 1. Battle needs to be an exclusive forward, nor rucking or in the backline.
After having Hickey and Longer one out for many years with Bruce doing the relief work , I wouldn't worry to much because having Howard who has done relief ruck work before and having King and Carlisle all over 2m someone can give Paddy a break.
Ryder if he holds up could easily play the majority of the game just playing from CHF to CHB.

McKernan was recruited for this job , but having Wood producing good football might just force McKernan out of the 22.

I know Howard did ruck, but i don't know if it was relief rucking.
While its fine for someone in the forward line to just wander into the midfield and tap a few, its more problematic if you are leaving a dangerous key forward unattended.
This...

Gonna throw our FB and key sturctutal component for our defense into the centre square for 4-6 minutes a quarter...

No thanks.

Ryder with McKernan is my preferred for round 1.

Ryder swapping with Battle you could maybe sell me on but im not going to like it and it disrupts Battle (who has earned a shot at being a full time forward after a few years of selfless position switching)

For round 1 I’d have:

Coffield Frawley Webster
Clark Howard Wilkie
Hannebery Ross Hill
Billings Membrey Wood
Gresham King Butler
Ryder Steele Bytel

Long Sinclair Lonie Battle

Give Jones another week because his hammies are pretty dodgy it seems. Crouch, Jones, Marshall and Geary eventually come in for Bytel, Long, Wood and Webster.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know Howard did ruck, but i don't know if it was relief rucking.
While its fine for someone in the forward line to just wander into the midfield and tap a few, its more problematic if you are leaving a dangerous key forward unattended.
I'd assume in this scnerio, Howard would be following the oppositions forward who is relief rucking into the ruck.

This would still leave Wilkie and Frawley/Carlisle down back to man the other key forwards.

Predicted round 1:
B: Webster - Carlisle - Wilkie
HB: Coffield - Howard - Sinclair
C: Hill - Clark - Billings
HF: Higgins - McKernan - Battle
F: Butler - King - Membrey
Foll: Ryder - Steele - Gresham
Int: Jones - Lonie - Ross - Hannebery/Bytel

Last edited:
Predicted round 1:
B: Webster - Carlisle - Wilkie
HB: Coffield - Howard - Sinclair
C: Hill - Clark - Billings
HF: Higgins - McKernan - Battle
F: Butler - King - Membrey
Foll: Ryder - Steele - Gresham
Int: Jones - Lonie - Ross - Hannebery/Bytel
lol you guys really don't wanna play Highmore do you?

Seems like he was in contention so long ago, then few key injuries have happened and he's still not best 22

lol you guys really don't wanna play Highmore do you?

Seems like he was in contention so long ago, then few key injuries have happened and he's still not best 22

I had him early on but the form of Sinclair has me changing my mind . I didn’t even have Sinclair on the bench which shows how bad I am a picking a side at the moment. But it is getting very hard to fit everyone in , even with the injuries we have currently.

B - Wilkie , Howard , Coffield
HB - Sinclair , Carlisle, Long
C - Hill , Clark , Billings
HF - Butler , Battle , Lonie
F - Higgins , Membrey , King
R - Ryder , Steele , Gresham
I/c - Ross , Bytel , HunterRuck , Wood

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Update after the AAMI game (team for Round 1)

Wilkie Howard Coffield
Long Carlisle Sinclair
Billings Clark Hill
Gresham Membrey Higgins
Butler King McKernan
Ryder Steele Ross
Jones Lonie Battle Webster

Posted this in the Pre Season thread, butitprobably belongs here

Just looking at our side now, I don't think there are many other clubs that have the midfield depth we now have in our 22 right now

Steele, Crouch, Gresham, Clark, Ross, Jones, Hanners, Higgins, Sinclair

That's 9 players in our best 22 that will rotate through the middle.

The issue is the quality at the very top, which is why we need to keep backing Clark in and develop Bytel as much as possible.

I expect Sinclair to start back and Jones, Ross and Clark to rotate back there

Higgins, Gresham, Steele and Crouch will likely rotate forward

Hanners will likely spend time between the wing and mid if he can get right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back