News 2021 Trade/Free Agent News and reported targets Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is not to discuss current Hawthorn players and whether they’re tradeable, who they're linked to or what you think they’re worth.

This thread is about our Trade targets at other clubs that are linked to us via media(not facebook pages).

Reminder, we are also not thinking up trade hypotheticals of how you would get it done in here, or asking what these players we are linked to are worth.

No, he wouldn't.

He'll be getting $5m+ either way - more than most of us will earn in a lifetime, but over 5-6 years. That's on top of the $2m+ he's already earned.

He'd be an idiot to stay somewhere he didn't want to be, just for extra money that he probably doesn't need.
Just reading this article not sure they want him to leave. Where you are getting that from. My cousin manages the marketing at GWS and as far as I know they want him to stay. On top of the money. It would be a poor move from a side competing to a bottom 4 side not likely to play finals for 3 or 4 years. Only time will tell what happens.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/07/15/giants-not-concerned-by-kellys-contract-comments/

Is Cerra tracking the way of a young Josh Kelly (GWS)?

I've not paid him that much attention TBH, but from what I've read/seen, they seem to have:
- sweet foot skills
- smooth mover that covers the ground well without being quick

Is Cerra dual-sided & can he lay a tackle? Is he a goal-kicking mid (doesn't count if kicking them against us - everyone is a goal kicking mid against us...)?

This is what I believe to be the strengths and weaknesses of Adam Cerra from what we've seen so far:

Strengths
  • Excellent foot skills, including under pressure
  • Shown genuine improvement every year which I think is important in rating a young player (and arguably just had one of his best games with 30 disposals, 2 goals and Coaches votes (Freo's only) in a losing side)
  • Been going inside 50 and hitting targets a lot this year
  • Good running patterns and getting plenty of the ball this year - averaging 24 disposals (excluding the game he got an injury early)
  • Showing improved consistency, only failing to have 21+ disposals 3 times this year (and a low of 18).
Areas for improvement/weaknesses
  • Not a contested bull - plays more of an outside game.
  • Not huge tackle numbers accordingly (but is fine for more of an outside midfielder)
  • Not big-bodied
  • Doesn't kick a lot of goals and has been surprisingly inaccurate given his foot skills (15.23)
  • Had been inconsistent prior to this year (which I think is to be expected of a player his age)

Just reading this article not sure they want him to leave. Where you are getting that from. My cousin manages the marketing at GWS and as far as I know they want him to stay. On top of the money. It would be a poor move from a side competing to a bottom 4 side not likely to play finals for 3 or 4 years. Only time will tell what happens.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/07/15/giants-not-concerned-by-kellys-contract-comments/
Where did Brant say ‘they’ want him gone ?

Even since the talk surfaced on this board about us potentially chasing Cerra, I have watched him closely
in the Freo games.

He's good, but not amazing.
Gets the ball, but is not a bull.

Maybe he will grow into that, but right now.... he's a bit too vanilla for me to spend a first round on.

Even since the talk surfaced on this board about us potentially chasing Cerra, I have watched him closely
in the Freo games.

He's good, but not amazing.
Gets the ball, but is not a bull.

Maybe he will grow into that, but right now.... he's a bit too vanilla for me to spend a first round on.
Good. We've got too many bulls.

I didn't comment on GWS wanting him to leave - I replied to your comment that he'd be an absolute idiot to leave whereas I don't think he would be idiotic at all. Wherever he goes, he's going to earn $5m+, maybe closer to $6m, depending on contract length & how his body holds up. He's already played 2 years of this contract, which has earned him ~$2m.

And I'm not sure how closely you've followed them, but GWS are not a side competing. They're garbage, with an amazingly unsuccessful coach & a garbage culture. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he looked at the way North are playing these last few weeks or looked at some of our games (incl. when we spanked them or our game v Melbourne + injury list) & thought: "yup, they're last right now, but these are teams on the rise - I can see myself as contributing to their trajectory - in the State I want to live in."

I'd be far more worried about Adelaide, Carlton & Collingwood than I would North or HFC when it comes to 'Bottom 4'.

I didn't comment on GWS wanting him to leave - I replied to your comment that he'd be an absolute idiot to leave whereas I don't think he would be idiotic at all. Wherever he goes, he's going to earn $5m+, maybe closer to $6m, depending on contract length & how his body holds up. He's already played 2 years of this contract, which has earned him ~$2m.

And I'm not sure how closely you've followed them, but GWS are not a side competing. They're garbage, with an amazingly unsuccessful coach & a garbage culture. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he looked at the way North are playing these last few weeks or looked at some of our games (incl. when we spanked them or our game v Melbourne + injury list) & thought: "yup, they're last right now, but these are teams on the rise - I can see myself as contributing to their trajectory - in the State I want to live in."

I'd be far more worried about Adelaide, Carlton & Collingwood than I would North or HFC when it comes to 'Bottom 4'.
Not sure where you got 5 million from? It's 8 Years, 8 Million is the asking price. That's the contract he'll walk away from. Disagree with your statement abour GWS. They are only a couple of Let's see who comes to the party... Time will tell.

Not sure where you got 5 million from?

It's 8 Years, 8 million that’s the asking price. That's the contract he'll walk away from if he leaves GWS. In my opinion someone is going to need to match it or it just wont happen. We’ll see what happen… Going to be an exciting trade / FA period.

I also Disagree with your statement about GWS are not a side competing. I would give my left tactical to swap their list with ours. They have a couple of pieces away from being an absolute top line team.

Again, see what happens! All our opinions are just speculation. None of us have a clue what is happening. Just opinions.

Not sure where you got 5 million from? It's 8 Years, 8 Million is the asking price. That's the contract he'll walk away from. Disagree with your statement abour GWS. They are only a couple of Let's see who comes to the party... Time will tell.

It's 8 Years, 8 million that’s the asking price. That's the contract he'll walk away from if he leaves GWS. In my opinion someone is going to need to match it or it just wont happen. We’ll see what happen… Going to be an exciting trade / FA period.

I also Disagree with your statement about GWS are not a side competing. I would give my left tactical to swap their list with ours. They have a couple of pieces away from being an absolute top line team.

Again, see what happens! All our opinions are just speculation. None of us have a clue what is happening. Just opinions.
I agree with Brant here. GWS were pretty much hot garbage even the year they made the grand final and got spanked against Richmond. That club is pretty much soulless and if not for the AFL and academy handouts they'd be perennial bottom 4 finishers.

It's 8 Years, 8 million that’s the asking price.
That's the contract he'll walk away from if he leaves GWS. In my opinion someone is going to need to match it or it just wont happen. We’ll see what happen… Going to be an exciting trade / FA period.

I said $5m+. That could well be 6x years @ $900k ($5.4m), which is a reasonable amount a new club could offer.

There is no asking price. Nobody has to match his current contract, they just have to satisfy him (& GWS getting Band 1 compo).

And mate GWS are garbage. I didn't say they lack amazing names on their list - I said they're garbage. Great names on a list doesn't = a good team. What pieces do they need? More 1st Rounders?

You may need to slow down & read Brants posts properly.
The $5m+ is Brants guess on what he’ll earn if he goes elsewhere.
The $8m 8yrs you are talking about is 2yrs in. So as Brant says, it’s $6m over 6yrs

You may need to slow down & read Brants posts properly.
The $5m+ is Brants guess on what he’ll earn if he goes elsewhere.
The $8m 8yrs you are talking about is 2yrs in. So as Brant says, it’s $6m over 6yrs

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...sh-kelly-s-unique-choice-20210330-p57fce.html

This article clearly states Giants, they are committed to sign him on a contract worth close to $8 million over eight seasons. So, they are not 2 years into it. So your whole argument is muted. IS BRANTS GUESS – Again like I said we all have opinions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...sh-kelly-s-unique-choice-20210330-p57fce.html

This article clearly states Giants, they are committed to sign him on a contract worth close to $8 million over eight seasons. So, they are not 2 years into it. So your whole argument is muted. IS BRANTS GUESS – Again like I said we all have opinions.
Clearly ?
It also says the deal was struck pre-pandemic. That would be 2years ago.

I don’t know the ins & outs of his contract, I’m just pointing out what Brant is saying to you.

It was reported at the time that he’d signed an 8yr deal but had a get out clause after 2 yrs.

If those reports are wrong, then many on here also read it wrong

Clearly ?
It also says the deal was struck pre-pandemic. That would be 2years ago.
He had a 10 year contract. 2 years to get him to free agency. And then the additional 8 year contract if he wanted it that would start next year.

Dude, the entire deal was worth $10m over 10yrs. The first 2yr part was lodged & expires at the end of 2021. The remaining 8yrs was offered & is executable by Kelly if he decides to stay on. $8m over 8 years is the remaining element.

So, they ARE 2 years into it.

He had a 10 year contract. 2 years to get him to free agency. And then the additional 8 year contract if he wanted it that would start next year.

Correct.

Exactly... wahawk 8 million, 8 years.

Personally, I feel he should take a pay cut and do the right thing by GWS or whoever gets him. BUT he has that contract at GWS locked in.

So, the suggestion from Brant he will a of 6x years @ $900k is two years and 2.6 million short.

But I don’t think he will accept a 2.6 million dollar pay cut. That’s why I said just wait and see.

There was a lot of emotion about this today. I thought everyone knew about the 8 million 8 year deal?

The way they've always done it.
Staggered they couldn't get Cameron on another one.
If they actually follow the rules - those 5 players would take up about half their salary cap.

That means 50% gets divided between the other 38 players!

If they actually follow the rules - those 5 players would take up about half their salary cap.

That means 50% gets divided between the other 38 players!
Pfft. Like they have a cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back