List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's not a lot that is fair about so much of how all of this works. I definitely look at it with one biased NM eye, but things like Geelong drafting F/S Scarlett, Ablett (x2) and Hawkins all for 3rd rounders and from the same drafts taking Selwood, Kelly, Bartel, Johnson etc with earlier protected picks (and also trading first round picks for Ottens) When our turn comes, it's pick 7 for McDonald.

Then seeing so many clubs getting priority picks under the old rules, pushing everyone else further down the draft and when we finally bottom out, the general opinion seems to be it's self inflicted and we shouldn't get any help.

If we don't get any priority help, PSD #1 will be one of our few advantages we hold. It's an odd situation that it is totally within the rules to use the PSD to get an out of contract player without needing to trade, but it is somehow poor form. Even more so in this situation, with the Tiges poaching Taz under free agency (which has no poor form stigma), yet somehow we are obliged to "play nice" with CCJ.

I know we've done ok with some of this in the past, FA was good when it brought us NDS and W80 and if the situation was reversed I'd be expecting us to poach whichever FA worked for us and demand a great trade for an out going OOC player, but that's kind of the point, none of it is fair, it goes around and comes around and when it's our turn it seems strange that in that one specific instance, doing what is best for us would be considered "unfair".

Is it unfair when certain clubs get handed prime fixtures because of historical inequity meaning there are more of their supporters around?
Is it unfair when certain clubs haven't travelled to some of the hardest fixtures in football since the early 2000's?
Is it unfair that certain clubs get kissed on the dick with TV timeslots and coverage irrespective of how unwatchable they are?
Is it unfair that after decades of pushing for mergers the AFL and other teams decided to burn Fitzroy to the ground rather than let us form a partnership that both clubs wanted?

The answer to these and other questions is yes, yes, ******* yes.
We should do everything we can to take advantage of the rules as they stand and if we can kick another team in the guts whilst doing so go for it. I'm done playing nice with teams that couldn't care less about us. Players who approach us in good faith should be treated so, clubs that deal in good faith the same, but we are not a charity and it is not our job to protect them from their own incompetence. This competition - and the existing clubs - would have happily knifed us in the back on multiple occasions just to pick over the scraps of our carcass.

They can all burn for all I care.

Last edited:
There's not a lot that is fair about so much of how all of this works. I definitely look at it with one biased NM eye, but things like Geelong drafting F/S Scarlett, Ablett (x2) and Hawkins all for 3rd rounders and from the same drafts taking Selwood, Kelly, Bartel, Johnson etc with earlier protected picks (and also trading first round picks for Ottens) When our turn comes, it's pick 7 for McDonald.

Then seeing so many clubs getting priority picks under the old rules, pushing everyone else further down the draft and when we finally bottom out, the general opinion seems to be it's self inflicted and we shouldn't get any help.

If we don't get any priority help, PSD #1 will be one of our few advantages we hold. It's an odd situation that it is totally within the rules to use the PSD to get an out of contract player without needing to trade, but it is somehow poor form. Even more so in this situation, with the Tiges poaching Taz under free agency (which has no poor form stigma), yet somehow we are obliged to "play nice" with CCJ.

I know we've done ok with some of this in the past, FA was good when it brought us NDS and W80 and if the situation was reversed I'd be expecting us to poach whichever FA worked for us and demand a great trade for an out going OOC player, but that's kind of the point, none of it is fair, it goes around and comes around and when it's our turn it seems strange that in that one specific instance, doing what is best for us would be considered "unfair".
Bulldogs now are enjoying a good run of ‘luck’ snaring no.1 pick JUH & top 3 Darcy this year, all whilst competing for a flag.
We did finally get some luck with TT…
He wouldn’t be available to us now with the recent rule changes (JUH rule)

I wonder who we’re bidding against if we’ve upped the offer to two years for Ziebell? Clearly there’s a club that has shown interest if we’ve buckled like this.

It’s also interesting that we have given in to his demands and yet we still don’t have his signature. Is our captain trying to squeeze an extra 50-100k out of us? Or is there a rival offer that he is seriously considering two weeks out from trade week?

It certainly leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Boomer was on one year deals for the back half of his career. I can’t ever imagine him saying “I’ve got a two year offer from Geelong, so match it or I’m walking”.
Nice bit of slandering of the captain, with not a bit of evidence to back up your claims.

Spot on. A couple of friends are Geelong nuffies and have tried to tell me a few times how good their recruiting is. I refer them to the facts you have rightly highlighted. Very easy to be a top recruiter in this scenario. The other thing that irks me is that having watched a lot of Scarlett senior and Hawkins senior, they were average players compared to their offspring. (No argument re Ablett senior.) Another stroke of fortune for Geelong. Talk about kicking with a howling breeze for all 4 quarters.

Nice bit of slandering of the captain, with not a bit of evidence to back up your claims.

In fairness to Ziebell, this is likely all between his manager and the club. But if we have buckled from one year to two years, then it's not just going to be because Ziebell said please and asked very nicely.

You're only going to add the second year on if you don't think the one year deal will be signed. That's a basic fundamental of negotiating with anything in life and can logically be concluded to be as close to a fact as it gets. As supporters the assumption has to be why Ziebell would not have signed a one year deal, and the overwhelmingly likely reason is that it's because another club was offering two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See we would have had Edward as king and I think he would have been more accepting of Nazi Germany

I bet you think you're so historical mate.

Tim Obrien is available and a free agent. Costs us nothing and can play as an intercept defender. Athletic, pretty good closing speed and takes a decent clunk. A solid enough mature option that we could consider in lieu of robbie
Agree it’d be worth a throw at the stumps. Maligned by many but the athletic attributes are there. Maybe with some decent coaching … who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back