List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewett to the Blues

Carlton has locked in its hard-nut defensive midfielder, with Sydney’s George Hewett now certain to sign with the Blues on a four-season deal.
The restricted free agent has not been offered a contract by Sydney despite another solid season that culminated in a 13-tackle, 19-possession final against GWS.

Hewett was told that while he was a required player he would have to wait until other priorities were settled before the club considered a new deal for him.

Instead, the Herald Sun understands he will sign a four-year deal of around $450,000 a season at Carlton as the hard-tackling defensive midfielder they badly need, given their midfield flaws.

The Swans have no plans to match that bid despite him being a restricted free agent, believing they have enough midfield cover with players in his positional type.

It means he will find himself in navy blue and likely join Adam Cerra in a new-look Carlton midfield with the Blues in the box seat to secure the Fremantle midfielder.

He is yet to choose a club but Carlton are the strong favourites given Melbourne would struggle to come up with an attractive trade off even if they included next year’s first-round pick.

Hewett played 21 games for Sydney this year and moved from a role playing defence into the midfield from Round 15 onwards.

Hewett to the Blues

Carlton has locked in its hard-nut defensive midfielder, with Sydney’s George Hewett now certain to sign with the Blues on a four-season deal.
The restricted free agent has not been offered a contract by Sydney despite another solid season that culminated in a 13-tackle, 19-possession final against GWS.

Hewett was told that while he was a required player he would have to wait until other priorities were settled before the club considered a new deal for him.

Instead, the Herald Sun understands he will sign a four-year deal of around $450,000 a season at Carlton as the hard-tackling defensive midfielder they badly need, given their midfield flaws.

The Swans have no plans to match that bid despite him being a restricted free agent, believing they have enough midfield cover with players in his positional type.

It means he will find himself in navy blue and likely join Adam Cerra in a new-look Carlton midfield with the Blues in the box seat to secure the Fremantle midfielder.

He is yet to choose a club but Carlton are the strong favourites given Melbourne would struggle to come up with an attractive trade off even if they included next year’s first-round pick.

Hewett played 21 games for Sydney this year and moved from a role playing defence into the midfield from Round 15 onwards.

Hewett to the Blues

I find it hard to believe Cerra is willing to go to Carlton over Melbourne because Freo will get more in a trade.
Seems very unlikely.

Cheaply? If they were paying us to take him I'd still need convincing that it was cheap enough.

Agree completely. Post Goldy planning IMO and we would expect CCJ & Edwards to share the role. I don't think we see a Goldy style 80% gametime ruckman as the future of the team.
They give us a 2nd round pick for taking Mcgovern
We pay him out and delist him.
Is that even possible?

Last edited:
Out: Dumont?
In : Ladhams?

We’ve given CCJ a guarantee on ruck minutes. Ladhams wouldn’t go from no.2 at port to no.3 with us. You’d imagine Geelong will pursue him if available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too tall isn't in the vocabulary. Too tall and too slow would be a definite problem if that was the case.

You need good mobility so you can apply defensive pressure. The benefit of guys like Zurhaar, etc is when they are matched up on medium defenders, they don't have the same impact when playing on key defenders who are very good in the air, it is why I think we will do better with a good forward structure.

At present, we do not have many forwards who do scoreboard damage.
Larkey kicked 42 goals (1.9 avg)
Zurhaar 31 (1.6)
Thomas 24 (1.1)
Stephenson 17 (0.9)
Goldy 12 (0.5)
it is single digits below that, Garner averaged 1.8 but he is gone and his ability to stay on the park was ultimately his major problem.

I think Larkey is best suited for the #2 forward role, i can see him playing the Waite role when we had Drew at FF. Drew was the go-to guy but Waite was a great option as well and being dangerous he took pressure off Drew. Zurhaar is like JZ when he played forward, dangerous when we got the matchup on our terms.

An idealistic forward structure long-term:
FF: (small forward) Comben Larkey
HF: Zurhaar Edwards Stephenson

Comben the go-to target, Stephenson playing the Boomer role where he comes out of forward 50 and sets up goals and gets a lot of the ball running towards/into the forward 50, that also opens some room for Larkey to lead into.

Edwards rotate with CCJ for ruck/forward role, they would be most likely to come out of the F50 and provide marking coverage through the middle.

What we are missing atm is a seagull forward like Weightman or Fritsch who is opportunistic, can be damaging on the scoreboard or has a Rioli like traits where he can get front and square or very creative with his use of the ball, ie getting a lot of goal assists.

Melbourne has got 53 goals out of Fritsch and 40 from Pickett, they are more impactful than their key forwards. I like Mahony but atm he isn't doing enough scoreboard damage, doesn't really show the traits of a dangerous small forward.

I think Stephenson needs to go back to being a bit more like he was at Collingwood, in terms of getting the ball in a dangerous position and either going for goal or setting up a forward. I don't mind him spending time in the middle, but his forward craft has taken a bit of a hit, he is going for goal when it is unrealistic or there are better options to go to, tries to pass when he is in the clear and in a good position to go for goal. He had 28 I50sin 2019 for 15 goal assists, he had 74 this year for 8. He needs more time to gel with our players, but I think he needs a more defined role that he can focus on to execute.

I think when we have LDU, Simpkin, Phillips, Powell and JHF in full flight, the lack of supply that currently exists wont be an issue going forward, I do think we need the right structure to make the most of the midfield we are putting together... Phillips getting the ball into JFH's hands streaming forward, he is going to want to see big targets coming at him.
I reckon Stephenson and Fritsch are very similar players. Similar build, same height, agile etc. Sleevo could make that work for him and kick 50 in a season.

but he also seems to have a great engine and can run all day. Dunno if Fritsch has that.

Hewett to the Blues

Carlton continues to find endless salary cap reserves to overpay mediocre players on long term deals.

How does Jack not do it in a better side? It stands to reason that if we are better, then there is less pressure on him down back. 'Just dropping back into holes' gee you just throw that in there so casually as if it is easy to do. He had a great year, one of his better ones and you have been at him all year despite this.

'No amount of stats changes that.' If we have good shape and structure there is no reason why he cant improve again. You have had him in the gun all year and no amount of stats will change your perception of him
Every team has someone that does what JZ did this year. He just happened to do it better that everyone else by a long margin. Had a great year Noble would be wrapped and so should we be. Lets do the same again next year and a couple more after that if he continues to play like he did this year. Well done on a great year Jack.

It’s a fair point I guess where I’m coming from is other sides got through it. It’s just that his fault or contributing factors or not whiffing on multiple drafts is why we got the spoon this year

I think the direction the club took over that period is a huge contributing factor. We basically tried to stay afloat with our heads above water for the past decade. Other clubs during that time bit the bullet and went into rebuild mode, whereas we stagnated with no real direction. Particularly at the end of 2016, the writing was on the wall and we chose to top up a mediocre list. Do those decisions fall squarely on Joyce? The spoon was always coming (a period down the bottom anyway), we just prolonged the inevitable which is what’s most frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They give us a 2nd round pick for taking Mcgovern
We pay him out and delist him.
Is that even possible?
Straight swap Polec for McGovern - both on hugely overpaid coin and both fill holes at respective clubs..

Polcat on a wing for the BLWS and the Governator at CHB for us..

You lot are being a bit unimaginative re Cam to the backline
He is a quite a good footballer and currently goes missing a lot
Think about it

Certainly did not go missing in the 2nd half of the season as he and Larkey became a very dangerous forward pair.

In the 1st half of the season the ball barely made it to the F50 for the entire game, hard to dominate without the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Im not sure mcgovern would ever agree to the trade.
It would be brutal.
Difference between AFL and American sports. Players there don't have a say when they get traded. Essentially it's because it's the contract that gets traded, not thr player. But that also prevents situations like this where players demand to get traded to a certain location and clubs are backed into a corner of who their trade partners are as opposed to the whole league.

Use the Cerra trade as an example. In the US, Freo can trade him to whoever gives the best offer if he is dead set on wanting out (well, at least Melbourne clubs because interstate clubs would be scared off trading for him if he's just going to demand another trade after 1 season but could try their luck) as opposed to dealing with either Carlton who pull endless amounts of cash out of their ass or a trade asset poor Melbourne.

Tbh AFL players imo need to grow more if a pair when it comes to moving interstate/go home factor etc. Not that I was ever good enough to play sport professionally but if someone said when I was 18 here's a contract but you have to move to Broome or Townsville or Darwin (s**t I'd move overseas), my response would be how long do I have to pack my bags and when is my flight?

Last edited:
The big question is, are players like CCJ really decent AFL players? Or VFL players?

I think he has shown some positive signs, given he was being played predominantly as a key forward. He came in round 11, kicked 4.0 against Crows, 2.1 against Essendon, 2.1 against Eagles, 0.1 against Saints, 0.0 against Suns, 2.0 vs us, 1.1 vs Giants and 0.0 vs Hawks.

He was the sub against GC, 30% ToG.

Played 89% ToG vs Saints but they got annihilated in the midfield and only scored 2 goals, 1 to Martin and Edwards. Their disposal efficiency inside 50 was 32.6%, by comparison the last round we went 54.1% when we lost easily to the Crows, they went 64.9%.

Against Hawks he played mostly ruck, Lynch was back so they had Lynch and Riewoldt up forward, he was well beaten by Ceglar and McEvoy and they got annihilated in clearances, I think he is more capable as a forward, if he wants to ruck he will have to improve significantly imo.

I think the challenge for us is to get Edwards and CCJ competitive in the ruck over the next few years if the plan is to run both in the side at the same time.

I think he has shown some positive signs, given he was being played predominantly as a key forward. He came in round 11, kicked 4.0 against Crows, 2.1 against Essendon, 2.1 against Eagles, 0.1 against Saints, 0.0 against Suns, 2.0 vs us, 1.1 vs Giants and 0.0 vs Hawks.

He was the sub against GC, 30% ToG.

Played 89% ToG vs Saints but they got annihilated in the midfield and only scored 2 goals, 1 to Martin and Edwards. Their disposal efficiency inside 50 was 32.6%, by comparison the last round we went 54.1% when we lost easily to the Crows, they went 64.9%.

Against Hawks he played mostly ruck, Lynch was back so they had Lynch and Riewoldt up forward, he was well beaten by Ceglar and McEvoy and they got annihilated in clearances, I think he is more capable as a forward, if he wants to ruck he will have to improve significantly imo.

I think the challenge for us is to get Edwards and CCJ competitive in the ruck over the next few years if the plan is to run both in the side at the same time.
We must like him a lot if North's basically pigeonholed him as goldy's replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back