Women's Footy 2022-2023 AFLW season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering why do we always hear about how Gold Coast has great players coming through their academy but nothing on our end. Concerned that gc may overtake us in future once we lose the current crop of players

Just wondering why do we always hear about how Gold Coast has great players coming through their academy but nothing on our end. Concerned that gc may overtake us in future once we lose the current crop of players
I guess we are too busy winning with existing great players than hoping the academy ones turn it on in 3 years

They’ve got a very good academy set up down there, that works hand in hand with quite a few of the state schools, which also run afl academies.

So they’re probably much closer to having a Vic school, club and NAB league team style set up.

Plus there are a lot of retired ex-afl players and families on the GC, who’s kids are now going through their academy.

Not dismissing it completely but when you're not a great team the focus always tends to be on the future more so. If you look at our team we're still pretty young and we've added a bunch of young players in over the past few years. It's a bit deceiving because of how well they perform but so many are very young still.

Lutkins is 34 (how the hell did she come back so quick from that ACL, absolutely incredible), Webb 31, monahan 29, svarcs are 30 and 29.

But bates is 26, Anderson 28 and then a tonne of players are only 22. Wardlaw, Grider, Dawes etc

Think we're ok ATM but definitely never want to rest on your laurels

I think people probably underestimate our academy a little, but the Gold Coast are in schools and local clubs a little more effectively I think, building connections and identifying talent.

Our talent is starting to flow from the Sunshine Coast quite well for example, especially in Womens (Bella Smith, Dawes, Postlethwaite, Campbell, Pauga, Hillier), Plus Jack Payne, Eric Hipwood, Carter Michael (and Noah Cumberland) came from Sunshine Coast. There is talent in our zone. Some of the main Brisbane regions perhaps aren’t delivering enough regularly for their population. I always felt like there was a tendency for things to get petty or political among Brisbane clubs, comps, zones etc. a bit of historical point-scoring against each other etc. just my impression from conversations.

We just need consistent systems and making development a priority. As an example, the Qld AFL schools finals were held at Maroochydore this weekend. Nearly all the grand finalists were Gold Coast schools and Palm Beach-Currumbin State High had a team in every GF I think. Most of those kids will all be playing for GC local clubs and in their academy program. Easy to spot and develop talent.

I think people probably underestimate our academy a little, but the Gold Coast are in schools and local clubs a little more effectively I think, building connections and identifying talent.

Our talent is starting to flow from the Sunshine Coast quite well for example, especially in Womens (Bella Smith, Dawes, Postlethwaite, Campbell, Pauga, Hillier), Plus Jack Payne, Eric Hipwood, Carter Michael (and Noah Cumberland) came from Sunshine Coast. There is talent in our zone. Some of the main Brisbane regions perhaps aren’t delivering enough regularly for their population. I always felt like there was a tendency for things to get petty or political among Brisbane clubs, comps, zones etc. a bit of historical point-scoring against each other etc. just my impression from conversations.

We just need consistent systems and making development a priority. As an example, the Qld AFL schools finals were held at Maroochydore this weekend. Nearly all the grand finalists were Gold Coast schools and Palm Beach-Currumbin State High had a team in every GF I think. Most of those kids will all be playing for GC local clubs and in their academy program. Easy to spot and develop talent.
Yes just feels a bit like we are resting on our laurels as when you read the articles about future women players, all the talk is about GC connected school teams winning comps/ going unbeaten abd players who are smashing it.

The only talk about Brisbane players is that they some solid possibilities

Yes just feels a bit like we are resting on our laurels as when you read the articles about future women players, all the talk is about GC connected school teams winning comps/ going unbeaten abd players who are smashing it.

The only talk about Brisbane players is that they some solid possibilities
The Lions do sfa in regards to marketing or media for the Lions academy, except for the yearly email asking for donations for the academy.

Apart from the fundraising email, we don’t hear anything from the club in regards to the academy, teams, results, etc.

This filters through to the local media. GC’s local newspaper does a lot of promoting local junior sports teams and individuals.

Finally, local results have heavily favoured GC’s academy, and this comes across in match reports and plays scouting.

If you weren’t a parent, you wouldn’t have known there was an academy series against Gold Coast three weeks ago.

And this is AFLQLD talking, so you know it's spot on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s possible most teams are taller than us.

But we’re probably fitter and faster than all other teams.
Given how much of women's footy is played with the ball on the ground, height is not always an advantage
Most definitely, I have no doubt that we will run all over them and they will be in for an extremely hard day.
My point was that it will be the only stat they will win for the day.

Last edited:
With the finals series fast approaching a reminder that the previous finals format has changed

A four-week finals series will be employed for the first time, with the top six extended to a top eight.

It will run the same way as the AFL men's finals series, with the top four sides earning a second chance and the losers playing the winners of the elimination finals.

Below image taken from mens competition so ignore the MCG Grand Final venue
800px-AFL_finals_v2.png

1st - points for
tied 1st - points against
27.4% clear on top of the ladder.

lets go into finals with a final strong win and be minor premiers, come on lions!

Would want to put the Pies away by at least 5 goals to feel safe. WC at Casey has massacre written all over it for Melbourne.
The Richmond loss was a bit of a shock for me but other than that they have been the best team of the year so far for me.
The chance at a Home Grand Final would be a great reward for the girls after the year they have had and to go back to where it all began, at Metricon for the finals series.

Would want to put the Pies away by at least 5 goals to feel safe. WC at Casey has massacre written all over it for Melbourne.

A win going into finals is good for confidence but i don't think it makes much difference if we win and finish 1st or 2nd
Previous years yes but not now
Even a loss would have us equal on points with a few teams but a way better %

The question is will the AFLW schedule the Lions 1st final game in a timeslot other than Friday evening.
Friday evening is the worst time for Lions fans to attend but most likely gets better TV ratings
I hope Friday evening is Melbourne v ??? or a knockout match
Saturday afternoon/twilight/evening Lions v ???

The Richmond loss was a bit of a shock for me but other than that they have been the best team of the year so far for me.
The chance at a Home Grand Final would be a great reward for the girls after the year they have had and to go back to where it all began, at Metricon for the finals series.

If we make it to the GF and earn a home game i wonder if it can be held at Metricon
The AFLW Grand Final will be held on the weekend Fri 25, Sat 26, Sunday 27th November
The only date i see available if the Guns & Roses concert can be cleared in time is Friday 26th November possibly 7pm
I doubt they have enough time to set up before the noon start time on Sundays Festival Gold Coast if they play Saturday

Metricon have
Guns & Roses Thursday 24th November 5pm - 10pm
Festival Gold coast Sunday 27th November Noon - 10pm

Don't see the Gabba letting AFLW anywhere their wicket even though that weekend is free
A shield game starts 1st December then the Test starting 17th December

If we make it to the GF and earn a home game i wonder if it can be held at Metricon
The AFLW Grand Final will be held on the weekend Fri 25, Sat 26, Sunday 27th November

I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw an article saying they were looking to lock in a venue ahead of time and that the "highest ranked team gets the home GF" might be out given to the issues with finding a venue at late notice that doesn't conflict with cricket season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back