Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a link to some footage. Albeit shot with Baselones signature shaky cam, gives a good idea of his vision and composure in contests.

Really nice mover. A few dinky kicks in that clip (bit like Ward). Thats ok as long as he has other kicks (Newcomb missiles).

i answered that in the post you quoted Cam MacKenzie(Mid) or Matthew Jefferson(KPF) depending what the clubs wanting to recruit. (assuming Ashcroft/Wardlaw/Sheezel/Tsatas/Cadman/Clark are already picked and off the table) for pick 7
Sorry, wasn't sure if that's just what you thought the club would do or that's what you'd like to see us do. Cheers.

Really nice mover. A few dinky kicks in that clip (bit like Ward). Thats ok as long as he has other kicks (Newcomb missiles).

Has got a penetrating kick, don't know why the highlights showed only the short passes. One of his best attributes prior to the Champs was his delivery into the 50 (from what I saw).

I’m huge on MacKenzie, he’s someone who could bolt into the top 5 on talent or higher. His ability to just skate across the turf and everything he brings forward of centre is class. Kicking, vision, smarts, hand skills etc.

Harry Rowston - 23 disp, 11 cont poss, 5.8 i50, 5 clearances, 3 goals in 4 games

Just did a bit of reading and this kid seems like he’d be a good second round pickup - being a GWS academy player is it safe to assume that’s where he’ll end up?

Untitled-1.png
Has the look of a man deciding who he is selecting with a future 4th pick

Has got a penetrating kick, don't know why the highlights showed only the short passes. One of his best attributes prior to the Champs was his delivery into the 50 (from what I saw).
Hard to put booming kicks in a handheld video and make it look any better than a spray out of bounds. I've always said the only way to understand a prospect is to watch footage of whole games and not just highlights, but in this case I couldn't find anything else for chopflop to have a look at him.

Not sure if this has already been posted …….. whatever the case we should get a good one with our first pick!

Careful posting that article here. You will trigger about 5 pages worth of vitriol and people repeatedly saying how much they don’t care about the author or his opinion

Last edited:
Careful posting that article here. You will trigger about 5 pages worth of vitriol and people repeatedly saying how much they don’t care about the author or his opinion
Don't worry, this time he agrees with me. KM = :goat:

And to keep it on topic: I'm starting to worry that Mackenzie has too much hype and will be snathed up before our pick. First Sheezel, then Cadman, now Mackenzie. Stop hyping the bolters up so much Mr. Media.

Matey is fine to post that in this thread. Doerre is correct about that article. Phillipou and Mackenzie are massive bolters. Heading into the year, I thought, at best, they would be late first-rounders. However, they've blown away my expectations. I also thought Cadman and Clark would be viewed as mid-late first-rounders, but they've instead established themselves as top 5-7 talents in the draft. If we were to draft any individual out of those 4, then I don't think anyone should be complaining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key is don't click. For all the KM non-raters like myself, let that one slide through. Problem solved 👍

We need a midfielder the most to add to the young core of Newcombe, Finn, Ward and MacDonald. Nash, Moore and maybe Butler will roll through there too.

After the last few seasons I trust our team to recruit the right option with whatever pick we end up with. Personally I want a midfielder that can have an impact in the forward line too, so Sheezel is the number one target for me.

But it looks like at least two of Mackenzie, Tsatas, Phillipou and Clark will be available to us.

For the draft watchers - which of those four would likely have the most impact up forward?

We need a midfielder the most to add to the young core of Newcombe, Finn, Ward and MacDonald. Nash, Moore and maybe Butler will roll through there too.

After the last few seasons I trust our team to recruit the right option with whatever pick we end up with. Personally I want a midfielder that can have an impact in the forward line too, so Sheezel is the number one target for me.

But it looks like at least two of Mackenzie, Tsatas, Phillipou and Clark will be available to us.

For the draft watchers - which of those four would likely have the most impact up forward?

Phillipou can rest forward and impact.
Tsatas & Clark haven't shown the ability to play any secondary position.
McKenzie has spent time at half-back so he may have some flexibility but has had no exposure resting forward.

We will end up with one of Sheezel, Tsatas, Clarke or McKenzie, which is a good outcome. Think these 4 will go between 3 and 6 with us probably having pick 5.
clark sounds like your mr consistent 200 gamer but not the elite style from the descriptions with the big ceiling

we need another key forward as much as we need another mid

sheezel Phillipou for mids or Cadman the key forward .....Mckenzie the 4th option im not sure on as yet

this is going on descriptions

Phillipou is like Sheezel, he is a forward who can play an inside midfield role.

There are now a lot of "bolters" lining up to be selected in the 4-10 range.
every year there is a couple of bolters, they either grow a couple of inches, finally get to play in their preferred position or get stronger and something clicks

i will say this year is stronger than some people are saying, especially in Victoria, theres a couple i like that didnt even make the Vic Metro or Vic Country squads, thats how deep the talent is in Victoria this year. (Max Clohesy looked fantastic this year for Murray and didnt make the VC squad for example)
I'm quickly coming around to Phillipou especially considering how young he is.
he is in that range at our pick, highly skilled player, he has good goal sense and kicks goals outside 40m which is a good test, wins the hard ball and feeds others for clearances, he was feeding Dowling a lot of ball in the champs with crisp handballs, has deceptive speed on the burst(around goal), but generally seems a bit one paced imo, takes things a bit casually, i would like to see more of a competitive edge with him.

i prefer Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas, Cadman, Clark and MacKenzie to Phillipou which would put him in the 8-12 range for me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back