List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumb mids???!
Respect ….

Doing the same thing (aka kicking it straight to SDK and every other defender) over and over again is exactly that. It’s brainless and maybe after the first two lower your eyes if there are 4 blokes on him there’s 3 spare somewhere.

It is why skilful mids are worth their weight in gold

I'd like a good ruck, someone like Sean Darcy (one first rounder) or Brodie Grundy (second rounder and as much of his salary as we could afford) would be great.
Richmond need a first rounder. How would Soldo and their pick 30 for our 17 go down?

We all have our opinions as to why we got thumped on Saturday but for me, in case you haven't guessed, the crucial factor was getting smashed at stoppages. I have little faith in Ladhams - he's been a bit loose for a while now. Hickey is getting on. Big McA raw as a vegan smoothie and then there's the unicorn - Naismith: he of the golden tap.

I'd like a good ruck, someone like Sean Darcy (one first rounder) or Brodie Grundy (second rounder and as much of his salary as we could afford) would be great.
Richmond need a first rounder. How would Soldo and their pick 30 for our 17 go down?

We all have our opinions as to why we got thumped on Saturday but for me, in case you haven't guessed, the crucial factor was getting smashed at stoppages. I have little faith in Ladhams - he's been a bit loose for a while now. Hickey is getting on. Big McA raw as a vegan smoothie and then there's the unicorn - Naismith: he of the golden tap.

I remember a time not so long ago I used to get ridiculed for pointing out Reid's importance to us structurally as a key forward particularly his ability to effect contests in favour of our small forwards.

I remember a time not so long ago I used to get ridiculed for pointing out Reid's importance to us structurally as a key forward particularly his ability to effect contests in favour of our small forwards.
Never quite understood the hate for Reid. He's always been a good player, awesome skillset that when he's firing, is hard to replicate

Presumption: The list management team think there's enough talent to warrant 3-4 picks in the top 30ish this year.

I think we've got another shot next year while we hopefully get decent seasons out of most or some of Hickey, Rampe, Bud, Reid. I would assume that we'll see the end of Bud, Hickey, probably Reid, maybe Rampe (but would likely be on the decline) in 2023. Parker will be 31 come 2024, Cunningham and Fox will be 30 at the start of 2024 (Fox 31 that April).

I'm of the view that if there's enough talent around, we should now move more aggressively at this draft to improve our position, hopefully uncover at least one first year that can have an impact, but allow a year of development in order to maximise our chances in 2024 onwards (where we've had several currently key players finish up). I'm also of the view that we have 3-4 positions that are more important than others to fill/get medium to long term depth in (KPD, Ruck, KPF, small/med defender). We simply must pick players for these areas at the draft, or rookie draft (only if we're confident the players we want will be there).

We might not get much movement with picks 14 and 17, that's ok, it's usually fairly expensive to move first rounders up anyway. If we thought there were a couple of players in the likely 2nd round that we rate, maybe we drop a first back, to move the other up. Otherwise I'd keep 14 and 17 where they are, there looks to be a few good KPDs and mids around that mark. I'd use future picks happily to move our 2nd pick (35) up into the 20s, possibly even get a 4th pick in the 30s (if we think there's good value). If we don't rate our academy rucks, then I'd use one of these to pick up best available ruck or ruck/KPF, the other on someone who can be a small/med defender (can wait til rookie draft usually, but someone else might pounce).

Not going to have much patience for people who just say "best available" this year. You do that when you're far off and just want to accumulate talent, sort through positioning later, or have no impending gaps.

E.g. we might end up trading down our 2023 1st (to 2023 low 2nd) and 2023 2nd (outright lose) next year, but could end up with 14, 17, mid 20s, low 30s this year.

14 - best KPD or mid (preference is a bigger bullish, first to ball type)
17 - best of whichever we didn't pick at 14
Mid 20s - best ruck or KPF
Low 30s - best of whichever we didn't pick at Mid 20s
Rookie - Small/Med defender + academy ruck (may as well grab the best one as well, since we've got some retirements)

Last edited:
Never quite understood the hate for Reid. He's always been a good player, awesome skillset that when he's firing, is hard to replicate
At least from my part, it wasn't hate, since I saw his value structurally, but saw him as dispensable last year given his inability to get on the park, so therefore isn't of great value structurally. He was more durable, got back to form better than I'd thought possible, but now we're faced with potential injury struggles again. His injury free years are often followed by an injury prone one. That and his goalkicking. It's hard to defend him sometimes, because yeah he can take marks, but they don't help if they don't go through (the big sticks).

I think we're OK for wingers. With the improvement of Stephens, drafting of Warner last year. JMac surely sorts himself out over the off season, gets back to form. Gulden, Campbell, Blakey, wouldn't mind seeing more of Lloyd away from the D50, Florent all capable of being wingers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear you!

I think we're OK for wingers. With the improvement of Stephens, drafting of Warner last year. JMac surely sorts himself out over the off season, gets back to form. Gulden, Campbell, Blakey, wouldn't mind seeing more of Lloyd away from the D50, Florent all capable of being wingers.

Agree. We are fine for mids and wingers. Time will tell if the young group will be good enough to bring us a flag in the next few years but we have to back in the group of Parker, Mills, Warner, Rowbottom, Gulden, McInerney, Stephens, Campbell, and Sheldrick to be our midfield/wing for the next 3-4 years. Any player we trade in to fill a mid/wing position will force one of these guys out.

Like a lot on here, I see our area of need involves key position players. If I was to throw over the top money to any player right now it would be Noah Balta who comes out of contract at the end of 2023.

Agree. We are fine for mids and wingers. Time will tell if the young group will be good enough to bring us a flag in the next few years but we have to back in the group of Parker, Mills, Warner, Rowbottom, Gulden, McInerney, Stephens, Campbell, and Sheldrick to be our midfield/wing for the next 3-4 years. Any player we trade in to fill a mid/wing position will force one of these guys out.

Like a lot on here, I see our area of need involves key position players. If I was to throw over the top money to any player right now it would be Noah Balta who comes out of contract at the end of 2023.
I'm not as concerned about our mids group as others. We've drafted Stephens, Campbell, Gulden, Sheldrick, Roberts, Co Warner to our midfield group in the last 3 off seasons. Now Stephens, and likely Co Warner will be on the outside (wing etc), at least that's the way it's looking, and Campbell might be more wing or flanks than inside, but I suspect he'll get some bounces as he develops. Still, there's Gulden (increased time), Sheldrick, Roberts in the wings (for the centre bounce rotation).

But... we always draft mids, so I'm resigned to that. I'd be shocked if we went in with 3 picks under 40 and didn't use one on a mid. And tbh, if we pick up someone who is a bigger bull in the mould of JPK (body type comparisons at this stage only), or a taller differential like Hustwaite (who can also play down back), then I'd be OK with that, it helps our mix.

I don't imagine we've got our eyes on an expensive prize. So it's the draft for me, hence why loading up this year, to hopefully unearth a 1st year wonder, and get them ready to compete for spots from 2024 onwards, is what I'm looking at. I.e. 1 x mid (because we just will), 1 x KPD, 1 x Ruck, 1 x KPF or KPF/ruck, 1 x small/med defender (or someone who will become one).

I don't imagine we've got our eyes on an expensive prize. So it's the draft for me, hence why loading up this year, to hopefully unearth a 1st year wonder, and get them ready to compete for spots from 2024 onwards, is what I'm looking at. I.e. 1 x mid (because we just will), 1 x KPD, 1 x Ruck, 1 x KPF or KPF/ruck, 1 x small/med defender (or someone who will become one).

I don't imagine we will be big players either but it still wouldn't be a massive surprise if we signed a reasonably expensive key back. If rumours are true, we we approached Barrass last year and enquired with Logue this year too. I think Tom McCartin will be a pillar for years but he will need some tall support soon especially with Rampe in his twilight. We were fortunate that Tom played every game as I don't know what we would do to replace him. I'd even be tempted to draft Ethan Phillips as a mature ager from the VFL.

I don't imagine we will be big players either but it still wouldn't be a massive surprise if we signed a reasonably expensive key back. If rumours are true, we we approached Barrass last year and enquired with Logue this year too. I think Tom McCartin will be a pillar for years but he will need some tall support soon especially with Rampe in his twilight. We were fortunate that Tom played every game as I don't know what we would do to replace him. I'd even be tempted to draft Ethan Phillips as a mature ager from the VFL.
A mature ager is an option. I was surprised (but not really) when we didn't go a KPD in the MSD. Although Hall-Kahan looks promising as a flanker / undersized 3rd "tall forward" option.

I suspect we lose Melican, even for a late pick, maybe that saves BOC, but even so we're a year away from next to no KPD stocks at reserves level, and that assumes Gould can cut it at AFL level. Logue looks set to go to North. Just don't think there's anyone else established. So unless there's a DFA that we can turn around, or a mature ager, it'll be drafting an 18 year old.

McCartin is 22 and has been playing KPD for 2 full years, I'm treating the criticism from the weekend from that perspective. Yeah, he needs support, but we've got our best KPD for the next decade already. We just need an extra lockdown KPD for when Rampe goes (and for VFL, right now). Even if Gould can step up, Paddy can develop more one-on-one (he'll be 27 next April).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back