Fixture 2022 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

My main observations are that:
- GC get shafted worse than anyone (surely not in the AFL's interest)
- we're getting as many as Adelaide, Freo and the Eagles, and the least exposure of any Victoria team;
- the absence of FTA West Coast games is weird from a commercial perspective given how big their support base is,
- the only teams in the top 8 with less than 4 FTA games are non-Victorian teams: Sydney and Brisbane.

- we're getting as many as Adelaide, Freo and the Eagles, and the least exposure of any Victoria team;
- the absence of FTA West Coast games is weird from a commercial perspective given how big their support base is,
- the only teams in the top 8 with less than 4 FTA games are non-Victorian teams, Sydney and Brisbane.
West Coast aren't absent from FTA - in WA.

Does anyone here seriously still rely on "free to air" television in 2021?
Maybe not here but certainly a hell of a lot of people do. FTA gives the club a lot more leverage when it comes to attracting sponsors.

I've got Fox simply for the fact we're never on FTA, and the odd occasions we are CH7 Adelaide will stick a Port or Crows instead.

This is bullshit. The fixture and FTA schedules are often completely decoupled from team success.

Carlton and Richmond have owned the season opener forever when until 2017 their crowning achievement in the previous 15 years was about 2 finals wins between then. One of which was literally between them.

Anzac Day was hardcoded to * and Collingwood in 1995 because of their massive shared team success in 1994?

Melbourne got the Queen's Birthday fixture against a big drawing Vic side locked in perpetually because... ?

Melbourne didn't leave Victoria in Round 1 for 10 years straight because.... ? We left Victoria for 50% of round 1 games for 10 year straight because...?

Etc. Etc. The AFL simply picks and chooses what they like. Team success is trotted out as a justification when it suits their argument.
Hmm agree to disagree. In 2016 (the last time we were actually good) we were scheduled 5 X Friday night games, 6 X Saturday night games & 1 X Thursday night game (not sure how many where on FTA). Since then have won 35.5 out of 106 games. In the last 5 years I imagine only Gold Coast or Carlton would have a worse record than us. We sell 4 X home games to Tasmania off our own doing. We are the smallest Victorian club members wise. Like it or not we have no real rivalries other than the Dons (and that way that’s been going I am glad not to get them twice next season). We seem to turn profit no matter what the schedule or if anyone even goes to games so that aside from my perspective I am more interested in an fixture that gives us a chance to win games. Based on that I think the 5 double up games are as good as we could have hoped for.

I've got Fox simply for the fact we're never on FTA

I'm not even talking about Fox anymore, but the availability of Kayo on smart TVs etc.

2021 Ladder PositionFTA Games confirmed 2022 (1st 9 rounds)
Melbourne5
Port Adelaide5
Geelong4
Brisbane3
Bulldogs8
Sydney3
GWS4
Essendon5
West Coast1
St Kilda5
Fremantle1
Richmond6
Carlton4
Hawthorn4
Adelaide1
Gold Coast0
Collingwood5
North Melbourne1

Effing Collingwood plebs get 6 for finishing 2nd last.

2021 Ladder PositionFTA Games confirmed 2022 (1st 9 rounds)
Melbourne5
Port Adelaide5
Geelong4
Brisbane3
Bulldogs8
Sydney3
GWS4
Essendon5
West Coast1
St Kilda5
Fremantle1
Richmond6
Carlton4
Hawthorn4
Adelaide1
Gold Coast0
Collingwood5
North Melbourne1
Seeing the Dogs get so many FTA games, gives me hope. They are probably our closest like for like comparison. We're never going to be one of the big teams. This actually shows that if you perform well you will get games.

On the plus side my shaky prediction is 8 wins. If that happens there will be some great momentum to make finals in 2023.

*Raises hand* I’m not giving a cent to Murdoch.

Yes, surely you jest?

Time to take the urban blinkers off and think about those living in one of the most sparsely populated parts of rural Victoria with the worst internet coverage/speeds and most entrenched levels of socio-economic disadvantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the plus side my shaky prediction is 8 wins. If that happens there will be some great momentum to make finals in 2023.

*Raises hand* I’m not giving a cent to Murdoch.
You mean a cent more than the tens of millions they already get from us via generous and untendered Federal Govt grants, I presume?

In an ideal world, I wouldn't be supporting that war criminal financier Kerry Stokes either.

Do they just simulcast the Fox coverage under a special licensing deal?
yep. The same happens here in SA. Part of the Crows initial contract with the AFL was that all away games would be shown live. Home games are shown on delay. I think the contract has expired so it doesn't happen 100% of the time now but still most of the time. CH7 Adelaide know how well it rates.

Of the teams the Dogs play twice, only ONE played finals last year. Yet they apparently have the hardest draw. Joke!

View attachment 1294665
How does that work? I thought the double ups were based on where you finished. ie, If you finish in the top 6 most of your double ups are against top 6 teams.

- the only teams in the top 8 with less than 4 FTA games are non-Victorian teams: Sydney and Brisbane.
Keep in mind that the Fox / Seven part only means who is running the broadcast, not what will be shown on FTA. For example, all of the Sydney and GWS games are on FTA in NSW/ACT, even if it's a Fox broadcast. I imagine the same goes for the Gold Coast (and possibly all the non-Victorian teams?).

To do an apples for apples comparison we should only be comparing Victorian teams. On that front we have 1 x FTA in the first 9 rounds. The next lowest is three other clubs with 4 x FTA in the first 9 rounds.

We absolutely do get screwed when it comes to FTA coverage in Victoria.

Don’t have Foxtel, but I do have Kayo on my Smart TV. But if we do have a FTA game I will watch that instead.

I think in Canberra we may get more FTA NMFC games than those in Melbourne because we get the GWS and Swans games and a couple of other interstate games. I think we had seven or eight last season.

So we go back into debt? If we bring games back to Melbourne, obviously the cost of membership in Melbourne increases. That's basic economics.

Well, the cost of membership has remained the same despite games being taken away, so we’re getting right totally ripped off as it is....

Also, with more games back here, more people would see value in signing up, thereby negating some of the loss of the Tassie dollars.

If you average out the $1,000,000 less over the course of the nine, instead of seven Melbourne games, we’d need to find about $110,000 per game.

Or roughly 4-5,000 paying patrons.

Very doable with a bit of hard work.

The Tassie money is the easy way which is continuing to spit in the face of the loyal Melbourne based members.

5 interstate trips, a game in Geelong , 4 games in Hobart plus a couple at the MCG. Not really worth buying a reserve seat membership next year is it

Outside of COVID lockdowns, we have played 7 home games at Docklands for a few years. That's the maximum number of games you can sit in your reserved seat. Away games, whether they are at the MCG or at Docklands or interstate, do not offer reserved seats. Why is next year different to previous years in your opinion?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back