No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So not only were we leading the AFLW membership but it shot up an entire 2000! during game day.

Ahead of the first game, the Swans had amassed about 5000 members, shooting them to the top of the AFLW in membership numbers. By the end of the game, their memberships had approached 7000.

So not only were we leading the AFLW membership but it shot up an entire 2000! during game day.

Ahead of the first game, the Swans had amassed about 5000 members, shooting them to the top of the AFLW in membership numbers. By the end of the game, their memberships had approached 7000.
The club and the team should be very proud!

Don't you hate it when a bad umpire's decision costs a team the match?
They say it was closest to Scheer, she could have kicked that too, big leg on her. (I can't say she would have definitely kicked it, but I wouldn't say that for Prespakis either).

What’s the go with ruby sargent Wilson? Is she injured or not good enough? Cheers

What’s the go with ruby sargent Wilson? Is she injured or not good enough? Cheers
Ruby Sargent Wilson
Ruby has a thigh injury. Her rehabilitation is going well and as per plan and she will likely be available for selection in Round 3.

Anyone heard rumour of what time & day next weekends game might be? I could wait, but I gotta add it to my father's day card :grinning:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still date and time to be confirmed :(
So the AFL released the round 3 schedule soon after the last game finished, I guess they already had it decided and wanted their news in a certain order/clear air, but kinda annoying if they could have released it earlier. If it was only known a few hours earlier I guess it doesn't matter, but any number of days earlier makes it easier for people to plan to be there.

AFL Prelim twilight next Saturday, fully expecting the game vs Port to overlap now. Hoping to get to and stay for the (whole) one game in Adelaide for the season. Hopefully it's a lunchtime or earlier start, or they just have it on Sunday.

Well articulated discussion by Daisy Pearce for AFLW's decision to not hold a minute's silence for the Queen during Indigenous Round

I went and checked out the players penultimate training session for the season. I was impressed by the good morale among the group. They seemed to be working fairly hard but with a buzzy - not dour and determined - vibe. There was laughter and cheering at different points.

Brett Kirk was there working with the squad. It was quite funny watching his balletic moves as he was demonstrating how to take marks at the highest point. Apparently he is involved a bit with the players' wellbeing and doesn't just limit himself to the men's squad.

The other main thing that struck me is that after our game this week, the squad will come back for exit interviews but then they won't know if or when they'll be returning after that. Most of them don't know whether they'll get another contract. And even those that do don't know when the pre-season will resume (next year some time). What are they going to do? Most of them are from interstate and I imagine most of the interstate players will go back home. Some of them will have lined up jobs here, maybe they'll hang around. What will be their options for training, staying fit, and continuing to gel as a group? A lot of unknowns.

I went and checked out the players penultimate training session for the season. I was impressed by the good morale among the group. They seemed to be working fairly hard but with a buzzy - not dour and determined - vibe. There was laughter and cheering at different points.

Brett Kirk was there working with the squad. It was quite funny watching his balletic moves as he was demonstrating how to take marks at the highest point. Apparently he is involved a bit with the players' wellbeing and doesn't just limit himself to the men's squad.

The other main thing that struck me is that after our game this week, the squad will come back for exit interviews but then they won't know if or when they'll be returning after that. Most of them don't know whether they'll get another contract. And even those that do don't know when the pre-season will resume (next year some time). What are they going to do? Most of them are from interstate and I imagine most of the interstate players will go back home. Some of them will have lined up jobs here, maybe they'll hang around. What will be their options for training, staying fit, and continuing to gel as a group? A lot of unknowns.
Like you I have been massively impressed with how the team has maintained such a high level of morale. They seem to be an absolutely delightful bunch of humans.
Well done to all concerned.

Disappointing not to have a single player nominated for the AA squad - but not surprising. The other expansion clubs were in the same boat except for Essendon but they had some 'big names'. I would like to think that by 2024 we'll have one or more players nominated for the AA squad who we have developed ourselves - whether high draft picks like Ham/Hurley/Hamilton, or VFLW players who have stepped up since joining us in the AFLW e.g. Szigeti/Sheppard/Eastman. Fingers crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back