Game Day 2022 Grand Final: Geelong vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interesting to see how they go next year after this.
You would expect them to drop off but I’ve been waiting for that for Donkey’s years.
They will get that soft weak campaigner Bruhn in the trade period and turn him into a cold hard killer who will inconspicuously dominate the league for the next 15 years.

Be interesting to see how they go next year after this.
You would expect them to drop off but I’ve been waiting for that for Donkey’s years.
10 payers today were 30+.

Only Selwood and Rohan are a decent chance not to be there next year.

What is actually going on at Geelong?

They're way older than the Eagles who imploded spectacularly.

Elite modern sport particularly in an endurance based game just doesn't allow for those kind of outliers. The odd player yes.. but seriously how many 30+ on their list?

It's fishy as all hell
David King had a stat earlier in the week that showed the Geelong midfielders play about 20 minutes per game less than their opponents, because they have two rests per quarter compared to one. Their backline essentially plays the whole game. I would expect this tactic will be examined by all teams next year, and may mean a change of defensive structures.

10 payers today were 30+.

Only Selwood and Rohan are a decent chance not to be there next year.
It’s an amazing stat.
I didn’t think in this day and age we would see a team that old win a flag.

I still can’t believe they did it.

I remember watching them play against us last year in that final and they were slow and fumbly and pretty aweful.

They had a great run with injuries and part of that is due to their fitness staff.

Amazing.

It’s an amazing stat.

I remember watching them play against us last year in that final and they were slow and fumbly and pretty aweful.

They had a great run with injuries and part of that is due to their fitness staff.

Amazing.
Melb, Richmond, Bulldogs, Port all fell apart, which meant Geelong could manage their list this year.

2020 they got into the top 4 on percentage, 2021 they scraped in by 1 win. This year they finished 2 wins on top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big deal. What happened today was every bit as bad and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Sydney may take years to recover from this loss.
Oh yay.
I feel infinitely better now.
Will go back to drumming fingers on the kitchen table, gnashing teeth and fondly remembering the glory days of almost 20 years ago.

David King had a stat earlier in the week that showed the Geelong midfielders play about 20 minutes per game less than their opponents, because they have two rests per quarter compared to one. Their backline essentially plays the whole game. I would expect this tactic will be examined by all teams next year, and may mean a change of defensive structures.
Need to set up some sort of structure first to change it.

Going by Twitter today a lot of crows supporters were terrified that the one ray of sunshine in their otherwise miserable football lives was going to wink out.

At least they finally saw a couple of their players win a premiership. Sorry, former players. 😉

It’s an amazing stat.

Amazing.
Money - players wont make more money elsewhere, sports science - all types, better training methods, a more professional attitude, means players stick around for longer.if they are good enough.

Age is just a number.

Bit like rock and roll bands were supposed to only last 5 or 10 years then grow up and get a real job. Now they hang around for 30 to 60 years, if they are good enough.

Look at Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and Serna Williams. History says they should be finished winning titles by the time they are early 30s. Borg quit at 24, McEnroe never won a grand slam event after he waa 25, Connors played to 39 but last won a grand slam event at 31, same as Sampras and Agassi was 32 but he quit for a couple years and had to put in a huge efforr to win his last 2 titles.. Steffi Graf was 30 when she last won a grand slam event in 1999.

Big deal. What happened today was every bit as bad and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Sydney may take years to recover from this loss.
We were at least competitive for about ten minutes in 2007.

Not once today did Sydney look in the game. Not for five minutes did they look like they had the run of play.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

People say Chris Scott walked into a premiership squad list when he got the gig. But tthey forget that Geelong lost the 2010 PF by about 8.10. They were smashed by Collingwod and looked too slow, too old and too stupid.

Cbris Scott in his first year planned with his coaching and fitness team, to manage his ageing list. They deliberaty made sure no player played every game.

They knew this year they had to change the slow controlling way they were playing last year, which was to protect the old players legs. So they played more chaos footy, introduced some more young guys, gave some young players bigger roles, think there were 6 changes compared to the losing 2021 PF team, and like 2011, they managed their older players well over the 27 week season.

Money - players wont make more money elsewhere, sports science - all types, better training methods, a more professional attitude, means players stick around for longer.if they are good enough.

Age is just a number.

Bit like rock and roll bands were supposed to only last 5 or 10 years then grow up and get a real job. Now they hang around for 30 to 60 years, if they are good enough.

Look at Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and Serna Williams. History says they should be finished winning titles by the time they are early 30s. Borg quit at 24, McEnroe never won a grand slam event after he waa 25, Connors played to 39 but last won a grand slam event at 31, same as Sampras and Agassi was 32 but he quit for a couple years and had to put in a huge efforr to win his last 2 titles.. Steffi Graf was 30 when she last won a grand slam event in 1999.
It’s still a brutal games d to so many players over 30 still out is unusual.A lot of them will play close to 300 games which is a huge advantage.
To have that quality go for that long keeps you in the window.
The character of their senior players to keep driving the club forward each year is also a big contributor.

People say Chris Scott walked into a premiership squad list when he got the gig. But tthey forget that Geelong lost the 2010 PF by about 8.10. They were smashed by Collingwod and looked too slow, too old and too stupid.

Cbris Scott in his first year planned with his coaching and fitness team, to manage his ageing list. They deliberaty made sure no player played every game.

They knew this year they had to change the slow controlling way they were playing last year, which was to protect the old players legs. So they played more chaos footy, introduced some more young guys, gave some young players bigger roles, think there were 6 changes compared to the losing 2021 PF team, and like 2011, they managed their older players well over the 27 week season.
This is true and full credit to them but they had a great run with injuries that allowed them to do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back