Review Round 14, 2023 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot-on, and the way your team gets MF clearances is astonishing and unstoppable (by us anyway), and that pressure is too much to blame the defenders.

Can you remind me how you got Jack Bowes and Pick 7 for a third round 2023 draft pick?
We may need one of these at the end of the year.

I'm guessing your club will be fine mate.

People realise that defenders are occasionally going to have goals kicked on them, right? And sometimes even in quick succession. When an opposition forward takes a strong mark it's quite possible that it was just good play by them and/or their teammate who kicked them the ball rather than the fault of a defender. Look at the overall picture of offensive and defensive contribution across weeks to assess a defender.
McKenzie literally fell over on two of those goals lol. Your mate is allowed to have a bad quarter, it's okay. He was much improved the rest of the game and it's not like we have anyone better to replace him with.

Considering the way the season has been coached and senior defensive players have been dropped, I think McKenzie is not skating on thin ice but approaching it.

I don't think we have an alternative so he has a bit of extra safety.

I thought McKenzie played reasonably well last night. He seems to have assumed Jonas' leadership role in the backline. Trent did not have a lot of possessions but took half a dozen marks in defence and appeared to be marshalling the defence. I cannot see either Jonas or Clurey as better value than McKenzie atm.

15 to 5 goals after quarter time- we all know you caned us anyway. Do you guys think Ratugolea is still on your radar?

I wish I could dig up the article but paywall protects it. Earlier in the season Ratagolea was in the Murdoch press saying he didn't really ever want to leave the Cattery. From what he had to say I thought Port, and any other club, was off of his radar. If he still wants to come across we will probably be interested as we could do with a second extra tall defender but as been posted he is getting a regular game at Geelong so I doubt he will be in the market.

McKenzie literally fell over on two of those goals lol. Your mate is allowed to have a bad quarter, it's okay. He was much improved the rest of the game and it's not like we have anyone better to replace him with.

Yes. Mistakes in defence cost goals. If we lost a goal every time a player fell over in the first quarter against Geelong we would've been 40 goals down at quarter time. That's why you judge defenders on the whole game not a small number of isolated moments.

Perhaps the lure of playing in a team that needs him and is a real chance of winning flags might see him go to Port. We need him, CS loves him, I love him as a player, but time will tell.

It may just be a play to drive up his contract price. That’s why he pays his Manager…. Every manager of a tall defender would want to be connected to Port this year.

Watched the replay last night. When we turn it on we are unstoppable. Just waves of momentum.

Its fun being a Port supporter again. Who knew!!

Don’t really like Thursday night footy as it’s during work hours here and seldom get to watch live.
Much more bearable when we have a comeback win like that though!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought McKenzie played reasonably well last night. He seems to have assumed Jonas' leadership role in the backline. Trent did not have a lot of possessions but took half a dozen marks in defence and appeared to be marshalling the defence. I cannot see either Jonas or Clurey as better value than McKenzie atm.

I've got McKenzie down for leaking 4 goals in the first quarter.

If a forward kicks 4 goals in the first quarter like Finlayson, you are on fire.

He didn't drop his head and played well for the rest of the night, no doubt, but with those goals he was just too slow, unathletic and caught behind too often.

Apart from first quarter, defence was really solid. Aliir, who did make some handling errors, but completely out positioned Hawkins most of the night, Bergman was superb on Cameron and Rohan did nothing after the first quarter.

Much of it was due to our midfield including Lycett, we dominated clearances, which gave our forwards much better looks.

If our midfield keeps on keeping on, Lycett continues to play at this level, we are a real ******* show.

The whole VFL (AFL) is biased against "interstate" teams..
Sorry in advance, but I would love everyone to use the correct language here. There is no such thing as an "interstate" team in the way people use it. What we need to be clear about - is that we are talking about "non Victorian" teams. This sounds petty but language is important and the use of "interstate" in this sense helps to perpetuate the Vic centric view of the AFL - don't ever be sucked in to this!

Sorry in advance, but I would love everyone to use the correct language here. There is no such thing as an "interstate" team in the way people use it. What we need to be clear about - is that we are talking about "non Victorian" teams. This sounds petty but language is important and the use of "interstate" in this sense helps to perpetuate the Vic centric view of the AFL - don't ever be sucked in to this!

You’re absolutely correct, but they did use the ironic qualifier quotation marks, so I’m sure they agree with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay last night. When we turn it on we are unstoppable. Just waves of momentum.

Its fun being a Port supporter again. Who knew!!

I watched the game again last night too. That third quarter was breathtaking.

I wish I could dig up the article but paywall protects it. Earlier in the season Ratagolea was in the Murdoch press saying he didn't really ever want to leave the Cattery. From what he had to say I thought Port, and any other club, was off of his radar. If he still wants to come across we will probably be interested as we could do with a second extra tall defender but as been posted he is getting a regular game at Geelong so I doubt he will be in the market.
I don't want Ratagolea he does not do enough imo. Comes in every now and then but is useless at other time. A guy like Bergman half his size is worth twice as much as him. I think we could do a heck of a lot better without him.

I'm surprised by some of the criticism of Aliir - he rendered Hawkins a non-factor.

The way we play means almost every player will make mistakes or fumbles because it’s at such a breakneck speed, so it’s easy to point out a few instances for any player.

I thought Aliir was excellent and great to watch him off the ball. You can tell he likes getting stuck into his opponent too. That grin was directed at Jawkins quite a few times in that last quarter.

Hence the " "

But yeah agree..

I just want to state that I think I exist.

(You are 100% correct though)

Last edited:
Dixon looked very sore and uncharacteristically slow and immobile. I'd bring Lord in for the Essendon game and resting Dixon, giving him and extra long break following the bye.
Need to be smart. Home and away wins don't mean much if we are all banged up by September.

Dixon looked very sore and uncharacteristically slow and immobile. I'd bring Lord in for the Essendon game and resting Dixon, giving him an extra long break following the bye.
Bent down like an elephant according to Timmy G

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Dixon looked very sore and uncharacteristically slow and immobile. I'd bring Lord in for the Essendon game and resting Dixon, giving him an extra long break following the bye.
I reckon his knee is really in bad shape

I don’t think we will see him for a month, let him rest and get him right for last few weeks

I reckon his knee is really in bad shape

I don’t think we will see him for a month, let him rest and get him right for last few weeks
There were 2 big tackles in a row in the North West pocket where he hurt his knee and he was very immobile after that.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back