List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m actually ok with most of the guys that stayed beyond the initial contract. I think those guys gave it a go and made a contribution.

As much as it breaks my heart to see Jezza killing it for Geelong I still love the guy. Treloar annoyed me because even though he stayed a little longer then others he did tell a few pork pies about staying when he had already decided to go.

I still feel he has some love for the club and haven’t heard him say anything negative so overall I’m ok but Steele and Adams can both eat a bag of dicks. Same with the one and done soft c****.
Yeah the vast majority of players we let go haven't really gone on to make us regret it heaps Steele and Cameron are the 2 that really hurt but outside of that not too much.

Yeah the vast majority of players we let go haven't really gone on to make us regret it heaps Steele and Cameron are the 2 that really hurt but outside of that not too much.
Heres a recruiting Tip for you, watch a bit of SANFL, this Oscar Steene West Adelaide could be a late pick steal as a ruckman

Attachments

• WA v NA.PNG
    WA v NA.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 18
I quite like Will Verrall from SA as a ruckman - he moves very athletically. Started the year a bit "out of sight & out of mind", but seems that his stocks have been rising more recently. It would depend on what happens with Grundy, Preuss, Flynn & Briggs over the trade period.

Why so down on Narkle?
Geelong would only entertain Miers who is not much.

Our challenge is to find the Stengle’s and Close’s, they are there for anyone to grab.

Our recruitment department are not worth a postage stamp if they can’t find some of these gems. Picking top 10 kids that go home after 2 years is not skill.

What does your Giants forward line look like next year?
Using some handy trades and whatnot...

I see
BREUST HOGAN CADMAN
STONE GREENE DANIELS
bench
PEATLING

This feels realistic enough. I think we will end up seeing Riccardi get to the level and improve his accuracy from set shots.

Geelong would only entertain Miers who is not much.

Our challenge is to find the Stengle’s and Close’s, they are there for anyone to grab.

Our recruitment department are not worth a postage stamp if they can’t find some of these gems. Picking top 10 kids that go home after 2 years is not skill.

Thats a very valid point you make , The top draft pick kids always know they will get drafted and if not by GWS they will get picked only at a later pick but the late picked kids , Rookie kids are more appreciative of the club giving them a chance which they most likely wouldnt have had in that draft

Richmond has done really well with later picks and most of the players that played in the flags were not 1st rounders with a fair few PSD/Rookie selections
Specially Ruckman and small fowards.
Richmond selected Butler, Castagna,Stengle,Baker,MRioli (f/S) with very late picks and have Soldo,Colina,Ryan and Chol with the same

Personally i think GWS will start to look more at the later picks going foward but unfortunately for GWS you could be losing some quality top end talent this year and might take a couple of years to get back up.

Good luck guys hope next year is a better year with a good coach maybe Kingsley or Yze

Heres a recruiting Tip for you, watch a bit of SANFL, this Oscar Steene West Adelaide could be a late pick steal as a ruckman
The other kid in the clip is worth watching too , former Gold Coast suns academy kid Josh Gore, has kicked 27 goals from 16 games in the bottom side as a small forward this season, two seasons. Used to play Allies with Tom Green and James Peating , has about half a dozen you tube sanfl highlights

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There might be some synergy with looking at some West Adelaide tall players in the draft: I’ve mentioned previously Harry Lemmey and Tom Scully, and ‘Bankstown’ has mentioned Oscar Steene.

Kevin Sheehan in a recent article ‘AFL Draft 2022: Kevin Sheehan’s early top-30 draft prospects’ nominated at Number 25 Harry Barnett (from West Adelaide) as “A strong marking ruckman or tall forward, Barnett is still developing his ruck craft but already has a real physical presence around the ball. He follows up impressively at ground level – supporting his smaller teammates – and can take contested marks up forward. Barnett wins plenty of the football for a player of his size. He has averaged 18.8 disposals and 24 hit-outs in the SANFL under-18s this year, while also being exposed to senior football for West Adelaide. Across three national championships games, Barnett averaged 11.7 disposals, 14.7 hitouts and 2.3 clearances.”

Interesting that he also nominated Harry Rowston at Number 6 and Aaron Cadman at Number 20.

Also anyone have an opinion on Brandon Leary (Tasmania Devils, small forward) as a realistic option later in the draft?

There might be some synergy with looking at some West Adelaide tall players in the draft: I’ve mentioned previously Harry Lemmey and Tom Scully, and ‘Bankstown’ has mentioned Oscar Steene.

Kevin Sheehan in a recent article ‘AFL Draft 2022: Kevin Sheehan’s early top-30 draft prospects’ nominated at Number 25 Harry Barnett (from West Adelaide) as “A strong marking ruckman or tall forward, Barnett is still developing his ruck craft but already has a real physical presence around the ball. He follows up impressively at ground level – supporting his smaller teammates – and can take contested marks up forward. Barnett wins plenty of the football for a player of his size. He has averaged 18.8 disposals and 24 hit-outs in the SANFL under-18s this year, while also being exposed to senior football for West Adelaide. Across three national championships games, Barnett averaged 11.7 disposals, 14.7 hitouts and 2.3 clearances.”

Interesting that he also nominated Harry Rowston at Number 6 and Aaron Cadman at Number 20.

Also anyone have an opinion on Brandon Leary (Tasmania Devils, small forward) as a realistic option later in the draft?
Yeah for a team that struggles they produce some good talent, havent seen Verrall, Barnett will be good but he is less developed than Steene at this time.

I expect that after this game that we will start to see a trickle of announcements from the various boys about wanting a trade. Probably won't mention which club, just a generic "I'd like to be traded back to Victoria" until their desired club is out of finals, or until the GF is finished.

Just some practical aspects to consider. Assuming the AFL does not increase list sizes, then we are aiming at 42 spots total between main list & Rookie A list, with 36-38 on the main & 4-6 on the R-A list. We'll most likely stick with our approach of 36 main & 6 R-A. We are allowed 2 on the Rookie B list, with this year's twist being that (I believe) Callum Brown needs to come off that list, and either onto the main list or the R-A list. Either of those removes a spot from the draft. As well, adding Wade Derksen at MSD gives us currently 7 on the R-A list, so we either have to cull one, or promote one to the main list. If we looked to cull someone, only Stein, Lloyd and Sproule have not been recontracted. Peatling has a 2-year contract (while the others only have 1-year), so I'd suspect he's the most likely to be promoted if we go that way.

It effectively means that Derksen has already taken the spot vacated by the retiring de Boer, and the first two guys to depart from the main list will effectively be filled by Brown and the R-A promotee (unless we delist one of Stein, Sproule or Lloyd).

Expected trades are Hill, Bruhn, O'Halloran, Taranto and possibly Briggs. Hopper is a maybe, but I'm expecting that if he goes then Taranto stays. However, recent reporting (as much as you can believe the media) indicates Taranto has largely made up his mind and it's down to Collingwood or Richmond for him. There would seem to be some frictional factors at work - can Collingwood offload Grundy and his massive contract to release $ for all the guys they'd like (Taranto, McStay & Hill)? Do they lose de Goey, and if so, does that make them more anxious to pick up Taranto as a replacement? Does Dusty leave Richmond, and if so, does that make them more anxious to get Taranto? The more a club wants (perceives to need that player), the more our trading department should be able to screw them for.

Additionally, I would hope that one of Davis or Keeffe retires - they're on their last legs, and to be honest, with HH going back, we're now a little clogged up for KPFs. In fact, I wouldn't weep if they both retired - with appropriate praise and thanks - because it would be good in the longer term. The final player I am adamant that we should cut free, is Jarrod Brander. I just don't see that he adds anything useful.

That shakes out to 6 to 8 off the main list, but then if we upgrade a R-A and Brown to the main list, it grows back to 30 to 32 (4 to 6 vacancies), with a full R-A list and one space on the R-B list along side Will Shaw.

We probably don't get much in the way of trade value for either Hill or O'Halloran, but with 3 picks likely to come in for TT, Bruhn & Briggs, plus our existing picks, we can't use them all. So I would expect to see either future picks, or upgrades to current picks as being the preferred approach. Or we'll delist more off the rookie list, and take our chances, with the ability to re-select them if needed. Stein is probably the most expendable given our KPD numbers (8 including Davis & Keeffe, up to 9 if HH is now considered a KPD), but out of he, Davis 7 Keefe, he's the one preferable to keep from an age perspective. I don't see us ditching Daniel Lloyd yet, while Sproule is also pretty expendable, but we've got few KPFs on the list and so I don't think he's that expendable. I guess we'll see what the club thinks soon enough.

That said, we need to drive the best outcomes we can for those traded out. In the past, IMHO we've been guilty of trading too 'nicely' (not always, Shiel & Treloar we held firm), selling too low and buying too high. We need to extract maximum value from here on.

With those changes, I would expect the club to look to trade an experienced player in, but as always, we're going to be limited by who's willing to come to Sydney on the available $. Hawks' Luke Breust is rumoured to be willing to consider a move - I must admit, I think that's reporter speculation, but we should enquire about him as he'd be an excellent addition to our forward line. Just don't overpay for him, which was the rumour last year. Otherwise, Cam Zurhaar would be a useful addition, and much younger. He's rumoured to be wanting out of Norths, but likely to want to stay in Melbourne, unless on upgraded $, which is a difficult area for us to compete in. James Rowe is likely to be punted by Adelaide, but that's because he does have deficiencies. Otherwise, it would be seeing who we could prise out of a contract with the offer of game time - perhaps Tom Berry at Brisbane, particularly with Ashcroft and Fletcher coming in.

If the above comes to pass, then we're in the market for a KPF, ruck, small/medium forward, running midfielder, and a mid/forward IMHO.

I expect that after this game that we will start to see a trickle of announcements from the various boys about wanting a trade. Probably won't mention which club, just a generic "I'd like to be traded back to Victoria" until their desired club is out of finals, or until the GF is finished.

Just some practical aspects to consider. Assuming the AFL does not increase list sizes, then we are aiming at 42 spots total between main list & Rookie A list, with 36-38 on the main & 4-6 on the R-A list. We'll most likely stick with our approach of 36 main & 6 R-A. We are allowed 2 on the Rookie B list, with this year's twist being that (I believe) Callum Brown needs to come off that list, and either onto the main list or the R-A list. Either of those removes a spot from the draft. As well, adding Wade Derksen at MSD gives us currently 7 on the R-A list, so we either have to cull one, or promote one to the main list. If we looked to cull someone, only Stein, Lloyd and Sproule have not been recontracted. Peatling has a 2-year contract (while the others only have 1-year), so I'd suspect he's the most likely to be promoted if we go that way.

It effectively means that Derksen has already taken the spot vacated by the retiring de Boer, and the first two guys to depart from the main list will effectively be filled by Brown and the R-A promotee (unless we delist one of Stein, Sproule or Lloyd).

Expected trades are Hill, Bruhn, O'Halloran, Taranto and possibly Briggs. Hopper is a maybe, but I'm expecting that if he goes then Taranto stays. However, recent reporting (as much as you can believe the media) indicates Taranto has largely made up his mind and it's down to Collingwood or Richmond for him. There would seem to be some frictional factors at work - can Collingwood offload Grundy and his massive contract to release $ for all the guys they'd like (Taranto, McStay & Hill)? Do they lose de Goey, and if so, does that make them more anxious to pick up Taranto as a replacement? Does Dusty leave Richmond, and if so, does that make them more anxious to get Taranto? The more a club wants (perceives to need that player), the more our trading department should be able to screw them for.

Additionally, I would hope that one of Davis or Keeffe retires - they're on their last legs, and to be honest, with HH going back, we're now a little clogged up for KPFs. In fact, I wouldn't weep if they both retired - with appropriate praise and thanks - because it would be good in the longer term. The final player I am adamant that we should cut free, is Jarrod Brander. I just don't see that he adds anything useful.

That shakes out to 6 to 8 off the main list, but then if we upgrade a R-A and Brown to the main list, it grows back to 30 to 32 (4 to 6 vacancies), with a full R-A list and one space on the R-B list along side Will Shaw.

We probably don't get much in the way of trade value for either Hill or O'Halloran, but with 3 picks likely to come in for TT, Bruhn & Briggs, plus our existing picks, we can't use them all. So I would expect to see either future picks, or upgrades to current picks as being the preferred approach. Or we'll delist more off the rookie list, and take our chances, with the ability to re-select them if needed. Stein is probably the most expendable given our KPD numbers (8 including Davis & Keeffe, up to 9 if HH is now considered a KPD), but out of he, Davis 7 Keefe, he's the one preferable to keep from an age perspective. I don't see us ditching Daniel Lloyd yet, while Sproule is also pretty expendable, but we've got few KPFs on the list and so I don't think he's that expendable. I guess we'll see what the club thinks soon enough.

That said, we need to drive the best outcomes we can for those traded out. In the past, IMHO we've been guilty of trading too 'nicely' (not always, Shiel & Treloar we held firm), selling too low and buying too high. We need to extract maximum value from here on.

With those changes, I would expect the club to look to trade an experienced player in, but as always, we're going to be limited by who's willing to come to Sydney on the available $. Hawks' Luke Breust is rumoured to be willing to consider a move - I must admit, I think that's reporter speculation, but we should enquire about him as he'd be an excellent addition to our forward line. Just don't overpay for him, which was the rumour last year. Otherwise, Cam Zurhaar would be a useful addition, and much younger. He's rumoured to be wanting out of Norths, but likely to want to stay in Melbourne, unless on upgraded $, which is a difficult area for us to compete in. James Rowe is likely to be punted by Adelaide, but that's because he does have deficiencies. Otherwise, it would be seeing who we could prise out of a contract with the offer of game time - perhaps Tom Berry at Brisbane, particularly with Ashcroft and Fletcher coming in.

If the above comes to pass, then we're in the market for a KPF, ruck, small/medium forward, running midfielder, and a mid/forward IMHO.
The main question is Giant Strides is when are the Giants going to get you involved with recruiting? You had any approaches yet? I am sure Caruso & Co. all read what we post about in here ;)

It certainly is going to be an interesting off-season for us both in terms of players and coaching staff. Surely if we have a new coach come in we need a bit of a clean out of the coaches that have Leon ingrained in their DNA?

I have always loved the idea for the Giants to keep trading into the future. Sure it is a risk, but, typically you get better value when the recruiters are under time pressure on draft night and there is someone they really want. I think if we manage to get a future first (thinking Geelong for Hopper) it gives us a chance to get more games into the kids we have on the list already rather than drafting say 5 kids inside the top 40 and them having to sit it out in the VFL and then request a trade in 2024.

Honestly I'd think there are a ton of average players out there we can get VERY cheaply that can play as a pressure forward. Just a pure role player that wants a crack at the AFL and is happy not having the limelight I guess in the same mould as a Peatling.

I'm not completely across the draft class unlike some of you guru's in here. But I am guessing the way I am hearing things Ashcroft will go number 1, then possible Sheazel, Wardlaw, Tsatas, Cadman? So do we just straight up for for Cadman or do we look for a KPF further down the list and target one of the SA boys (not a VIC I wanna go home Mummy's boy)? I know Lemmey has slid like crazy since the start of the year but playing against men has to be of some benefit and especially if we could land him closer to pick 20 and grab a top end mid with speed early?

Keeffe has been great value for us.
Never quite best 22 but tends to play a lot of games because of regular back line injuries and he's a great role player.
If Buckley and Davis were fit I'm pretty sure he would have been plugging away in the VFL and quietly retire.
He's 32 and will probably be asked to go another year if Phil retires.

Some good analysis and observations above.
XOH might be retained as midfield depth.
Strangely, we could find ourselves short on midfielders if we lose/trade/delist many of those mentioned.

So much will come down to the new HC.
Do he have a game plan based around the current list or will he be expecting targeted recruiting around the new game plan...

I have always loved the idea for the Giants to keep trading into the future. Sure it is a risk, but, typically you get better value when the recruiters are under time pressure on draft night and there is someone they really want. I think if we manage to get a future first (thinking Geelong for Hopper) it gives us a chance to get more games into the kids we have on the list already rather than drafting say 5 kids inside the top 40 and them having to sit it out in the VFL and then request a trade in 2024.

Honestly I'd think there are a ton of average players out there we can get VERY cheaply that can play as a pressure forward. Just a pure role player that wants a crack at the AFL and is happy not having the limelight I guess in the same mould as a Peatling.

I'm not completely across the draft class unlike some of you guru's in here. But I am guessing the way I am hearing things Ashcroft will go number 1, then possible Sheazel, Wardlaw, Tsatas, Cadman? So do we just straight up for for Cadman or do we look for a KPF further down the list and target one of the SA boys (not a VIC I wanna go home Mummy's boy)? I know Lemmey has slid like crazy since the start of the year but playing against men has to be of some benefit and especially if we could land him closer to pick 20 and grab a top end mid with speed early?
I think circumstances this year almost force us to look at some future picks. Hopefully we judge correctly what is worthwhile for next year versus this year's value.

I guess the issue is finding someone with the right balance of pressure and goal-scoring. Toby kicks goals, but isn't the greatest defender (but obviously a very smart player in our F50). Binga is a brilliant pressure forward (whom we've missed a lot this year), but not a great goal kicker. We talked last trade period about a few options, such as Boyd Woodcock or Michael Gibbons. But I agree with the view of getting a role player cheaply is certainly an option. Similarly, I'd argue we don't need to get a first rounder for some roles, and need to look at players we think reasonably can do a particular job. (Sam Taylor, Binga & Connor Idun are examples where we've got those calls correct.)
Keeffe has been great value for us.
Never quite best 22 but tends to play a lot of games because of regular back line injuries and he's a great role player.
If Buckley and Davis were fit I'm pretty sure he would have been plugging away in the VFL and quietly retire.
He's 32 and will probably be asked to go another year if Phil retires.
My view in Keeffe has gone up & down a few times over his time with GWS. Initially unimpressed, but he's been good at times plugging injury gaps. However, I think he's struggled this year as he's getting a bit older. I think we've tried to match him up on taller KPFs, but he tends not to be mobile or agile enough to go with the McKays and Kings. If we're now going to send HH down back, IMHO we've just got too many KPFs on the list and need to whittle them down. Fleeton doesn't appear to have done much, but we've just re-signed him, so Davis, Keeffe and Stein are the clear candidates. I know we've preferred Keeffe to Stein this year, but Stein's younger and more mobile, and as an equally cheap back-up player he'd be my preference. I'd be happy to pay Keeffe to be in VFL for another year, and if anyone gets injured during pre-season, slot him in via the PSD. For another year.
XOH might be retained as midfield depth.
Strangely, we could find ourselves short on midfielders if we lose/trade/delist many of those mentioned.

So much will come down to the new HC.
Do he have a game plan based around the current list or will he be expecting targeted recruiting around the new game plan...
Yes, I'd be concerned about culling too hard. That's why I think it would be only one of Taranto and Hopper. But I included XOH here since he hasn't re-signed, so I think he'll request to leave. He was one I wanted in his draft year - a good burst of speed and great endurance; nuggety and tough, with leadership qualities - but he just hasn't come on. Maybe new coaches can coax some improvement, but if he wants to leave, there won't be much we can do. I am usually the one calling for fewer trades out each year, because to me that's a handicap to be continually changing over the list. The problem is that we don't have much choice, these are players who are wanting to leave. Allegedly GWS is happy enough to have some list turnover to re-balance from inside mids to balanced/outside mids. Of course, if we think we're bleeding too much experience, an option is to seek to trade in some experience. Guys such as Brayden Fiorini from Suns and Matt Crouch from Adelaide are available, although I wouldn't go for either of them (too expensive and too inside for mine) but every year clubs seem to cull players who still have some life left (e.g. Luke Dunstan last year).

Rumour is that Breust would be open to a move of clubs - but only to another Melbourne club. And that encapsulates the GWS problem that VFL House doesn't care about and doesn't want to solve. We have Vic kids who can't wait to go home, that we have to overpay to stay in NSW, but a NSW-born bloke doesn't want to go home. Sure, he's probably got a settled lifestyle now at his age, but also more opportunities in the media and "other arrangements". So we only appeal to those who get pushed out of their club for varying reasons (e.g. Mumford, Shaw, Stevie J) or otherwise want to get out of their club (e.g. Griffen) or it's last chance saloon (e.g. Dylan Buckley). I do think we need to make better use of blokes from these categories, but it's situation-dependent, and players from the last group are really filling role positions, not driving standards towards a flag.

I guess we'll start to see after this weekend guys who are being knocked out of their club, or want to leave for whatever reason, and we can look at whether any of them can be a positive if added to the GWS roster.

Watched a bit of vfl and sanfl.footy this weekend , looked out for Leary , didn't have a great game but was probably his first senior game big wrap for Woodcock and Pescud of sharks . In the SANFL watched West's v Norwood Lowe didn't have his best game, Gore (who apparently has family in Canberra) did well but played more as a mid , Steene tried hard but was monstered by Boyd. Saw end of Glenelg v Centrals game Hosie may be worth another shot as a mid forward

Just a few mini scenarios to generate some thoughts and comments. (All picks based on current club ladder positions, pre-North priority pick & pre-Ashcroft bid.)

Based on my previous description of the situation, list of 36/7/2, minus 7 (de Boer, Brander, Keeffe - retired/delisted; Taranto, Bruhn, Hill, XOH trades) plus 2 upgrades (Peatling from R-A & Brown from R-B) to get 31/6/1 with starting picks #3, 21, 39, 57 & 59.

• The Taranto trade, reputed to be likely to Tigers, is central. If we do this first, and extract maximum value, then it gives us some freedom to manoeuvre on later trades (i.e. future picks, or further pick trades). He's 25 next campaign so hitting his prime, a former #2 pick, no development required, good tackler, mid-20s disposals per game, suits the Richmond game style. Tigers #12 & 19 is what we should be holding out for. (Not just their first, and not their first & own second. They can't threaten PSD, so * 'em if they want 'im!)
  • If Geelong want Bruhn, then again we need to be tough and demand #18. #36 is waaaaaay too little, and I think once he's settled back with mommy he'll produce better. Should be more, but we're unlikely to get more. If we can generate interest elsewhere, it may help. For example, if Dogs lose Dunkley, then they might be in the market for someone like Bruhn, and prepared to swap #10 for Bruhn & #19 or #21. (A Dunkley pick of #8 gets them something valuable, and #19/21 gets them a defender such as Hayes or Weddle, or a ruck in Barnett.) Otherwise, we could trade for a future pick, and hope Geelong slide down next year. Again, they can't threaten PSD, so * 'em.
  • I would not be entertaining a trade for Hopper this year, and certainly not to Geelong with an earliest pick of #18 which will slide to #20. Waaaaay waaaaay too little for him.
  • Even if we end up trading Bruhn to Cats, if we can get #18, then there may be further trade options; one being to Brisbane for points for Ashcroft & Fletcher. Even something as simple as their #14 for our #18 & #39 - because they will have to be careful about the number of list spots they open up - would give them extra points, plus the possibility of selling #18 (or maybe #19 between the two draft nights) for even more points. If they were needing to move some players on, then we might be able to winkle out someone useful (Tom Berry unlikely but you never know; Kai Lohmann, Harry Sharp?) Other clubs might be prepared to trade back for two early bites at the cherry.
  • That leaves Hill and XOH as either bit trades, minor future picks, or pick upgrades somewhere.
If we achieved some of the above, the options could look like:
  • #3, #12, #14, #19, #21 plus some minor stuff that's probably traded away for futures, and a rookie B selection
I agree with the thoughts of those who say we might be losing too much experience (even with 2nd & 4th year players), so that's a nice hand to try to entice a club into a trade. #21 for Breust (way overs, but hawks would need to convince him - unlikely)? Or Cam Zurhaar (again, he'll either stay because Clarko's arriving or swap to another Melbourne club most likely). But we'd need the pick options to be able to at least get in the room to bid.

If we don't get any other trades of picks or players, then I'd be hoping for an outcome such as:
  • #3 = Aaron Cadman: KPF who can partner Jesse Hogan up front
  • #12 = Brayden George: medium forward, goalkicking gun
  • #14 = Oliver Hollands: balanced mid who can play a wing role, but also run through stoppages
  • #19 = Charlie Clarke (medium forward who can play midfield) or Olli Hotton (high half forward flank)
  • #21 = Jacob Konstanty (speedy, goal-kicking small forward who can also defend)
Others to consider, depending on how other clubs select or what we're thinking:
  • Mattaes Phillipou: South Australian, inside midfielder/forward, probably hasn't earned his chops in the midfield at Nationals level, but with a late December birthday, his extreme youth indicates high upside if we want to risk selecting a Croweater early; but we'd have to give up Cadman, and either hope Jefferson is still there at #12 or pick up one of Lemmey, Scully or Keeler at a later pick #19 or #21
  • Cam Mackenzie: a speedy inside mid, just what we'd want instead of Taranto, Hopper, Perryman but likely to go in the #6 to #10 range, so again we'd have to give up Cadman, and look for Jefferson or one of Lemmey, Scully or Keeler at a later pick
  • Reuben Ginbey or Bailey Humphrey: explosive inside midfielders, Humphrey can hit the scoreboard too, but their disposal by foot is a bit suspect; likely to get picked up mid teens
  • Lachlan Cowan: Tasmanian defender but we could probably stick him on a wing; has pace and line-breaking skills, as well as aerial ability. Should be less risk given his state of birth, and either pair him up with Callaghan on opposite wings, or he replaces Kennedy/Ash/Wehr in the backline. Should be there at #19 or #21.
Presuming he gets through the draft without selection, we could then look at Harry Rowston as the cat B rookie selection - giving us a more pure inside midfielder for depth, but one who can play forward.

That would deliver us a squad that would look this way (draftees in bold) - with a fair amount of competition for some spots if everyone is healthy:

Taylor Davis Haynes
Idun Cumming Kennedy
Whitfield Green Callaghan
Coniglio Cadman Greene
Hogan Briggs Peatling
Preuss Hopper Kelly
IC: Himmelberg Ash Perryman Daniels

Stein Buckley Aleer
Fahey Brown Wehr
Stone Rowston Hamilton
Lloyd Sproule George
Riccardi Derksen Konstanty