List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I am assuming. I'm sire Port would trade out a future first to help them jag horne francis. Freo also so they can get Jackson. I see that better using resources than betting it all on 1 player.
Probably a bit of a different scenario. You are talking about clubs trading for a generational ruck and a number 1 pick

We are talking about picks

Probably a bit of a different scenario. You are talking about clubs trading for a generational ruck and a number 1 pick

We are talking about picks

No I'm saying we should trade a first to freo or port for their 23 first (at least ask) and not trade up for pick 1. An extra first this year would help both of them get their deals done and we spread 2 firsts to next year.

Maybe we have tried but from the outside it always appears we want to package picks to trade up and I'm not sure I see the value in it.

If it’s 3 and 12 for 1 then I think we should do it.
Cal Twomey stating there is a lack of go home factor with Cadman.
I think he has good inside info with us via Quayle.
Cadman plus picks 15 and 19 would be awesome.

Absolutely he could also be a bust but Mccartney and his crew love these trade up deals and they may look good on paper but they have never worked out for us.

I rather take 3 players 1 could be a bust the other 2 stars or 1 leaves but 2 stay seems like a safer bet to me rather than putting all eggs in 1 basket seems like an unnecessary risk.

Exactly. I bet Adelaide and Richmond are very glad there bids for pick 1 were rejected.
I can't remember exact details, but I think jhf or Rachele and Rankine, I would much prefer Rachele and Rankine.
Richmond, probably ends up as JHF or gibcus ,sonsie and taranto. I would prefer Gibcus and Taranto.

No I'm saying we should trade a first to freo or port for their 23 first (at least ask) and not trade up for pick 1. An extra first this year would help both of them get their deals done and we spread 2 firsts to next year.

Maybe we have tried but from the outside it always appears we want to package picks to trade up and I'm not sure I see the value in it.
Every single club wants to have extra picks in next years draft mate

If it only ends up being 3 + 12 for pick 1 I think we're doing pretty danm well in a trade there, helps it's a likely multi team trade so they're getting compensated from other avenues as well but that still leaves us with 3 more top 20 picks. Would be good to move 18 or 19 into next year as well, we can't keep banking all these picks for 1 year, have to spread them out.

Last edited:
Check out his debut too. The quality.
I watched him pretty closely across his matches. I don’t think he turned it over once and made great decisions under pressure.
Yeah someone posted most of his moments from debut on youtube and looks so good, multiple times he's stepping in and out of traffic right in the contest, firing off accurate handballs, has some real sharp kicks,

It's very entertaining hearing people come up with trades where we salary dump Haynes with a first round pick to a Vic team that needs a defender.

Have the weed laws been relaxed further in Melbourne?

I don't doubt that Haynes has been talked about. But he's still an incredible defender and intercept marker.
2 years on a contract isn't that much to bite off

It's very entertaining hearing people come up with trades where we salary dump Haynes with a first round pick to a Vic team that needs a defender.

Have the weed laws been relaxed further in Melbourne?

I don't doubt that Haynes has been talked about. But he's still an incredible defender and intercept marker.
2 years on a contract isn't that much to bite off
Unfortunately, the Suns have opened that door with their Jack Bowes trade. Now they all think we'll do the same. (Which I hope we don't.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RE Cadman, as I stated if we do a deal which still leaves us a pick in the teens somewhere I’m all for it as it’s very hard for any clubs to bring in high quality KPF’s particularly clubs like ours.

A pick in the high teens could net a Konstanty and if anything is left over to bring in Rowston then it’s a very good draft.

One thing I believe we should be doing if investing a lot is getting him to sign an extension now which would be binding if we draft him. I think that’s something we should be looking at doing.

Perhaps one with a 3rd year in our favour but at good terms like 450 and maybe put a trigger in if he wins a Rising Star or hits KPI’s. I think showing the player you are that committed to them deserves a reciprocal action in good faith.

Just spitballing.

Last edited:
If Cadman ends up being our guy, our short term KPF problems aren't solved but it's certainly an easier pill to swallow when we know Cadman is cooking in the background, think he's the best all round fit of any of the top 3 guys

If Cadman ends up being our guy, our short term KPF problems aren't solved but it's certainly an easier pill to swallow when we know Cadman is cooking in the background, think he's the best all round fit of any of the top 3 guys
Easily the best fit for us. Derksen will and him might get some games next year.
Are there any other forwards that would be available with picks 15,18,19 ?I've lost track of what we have

Easily the best fit for us. Derksen will and him might get some games next year.
Are there any other forwards that would be available with picks 15,18,19 ?I've lost track of what we have
I really like Brayden George as a medium sized forward option for us, only downside is he's going to miss if not all of his first year rehabbing a knee injury but so much talent, great athlete, can move into the midfield, kicks bags. Clarke and Konstanty as options as well. Excited to see Derksen looks aganinst AFL comeptition this year also keen to see how Riccardi looks in a new system when there's a bit more pace on the ball.

Matt Jefferson is an early teens pick ... might well be gone by #15 though. (However, that's where if we keep our picks we could potentially trade up with a club like Carlton. Swap #15 & #18 with them for #10 would be one thought. That should get Jefferson.)

Cadman would play a number of games next year. I would imagine he won’t play any less than 10.
Perfect fit to go with Hogan. He has a good tank and is already a good size. Will be around the 92kg mark in his first season.

Cadman would play a number of games next year. I would imagine he won’t play any less than 10.
Perfect fit to go with Hogan. He has a good tank and is already a good size. Will be around the 92kg mark in his first season.
Yeah I think he'll play but expecting any rookie to be impactful and especially KPP rookies is probably a stretch. He is a great stylistic fit next to Hogan.

Yeah I think he'll play but expecting any rookie to be impactful and especially KPP rookies is probably a stretch. He is a great stylistic fit next to Hogan.
You’re right.
The two things that stop them playing too much in their first couple of years are their size and/or their tank.
As he is a tick for both of these I think he might play more than usual… a bit like Taranto (although totally different position).

You’re right.
The two things that stop them playing too much in their first couple of years are their size and/or their tank.
As he is a tick for both of these I think he might play more than usual… a bit like Taranto (although totally different position).
Yeah Taranto was quite impactful in year 1 and normally there is a few rookies every year that are main stays in their teams side but relying on a rookie to be a solver of one of your teams problems is setting yourself up to fail because it just doesn't happen very often but there also needs to be a clear avenue for someone like Cadman to play if he is showing that he is comfortable at the level and I think we fit right in the sweet spot with that. He's not required to come in and solve the teams forwards problems because when Toby and Hogan are there and with a bit of health luck, the forward line should be pretty functional but there also isn't guys blocking Cadman's way if he's tearing up the magoos every week because outside of Hogan at KPF it's a few question marks.

I'd expect Cadman to play perhaps 2/3 to 3/4 of games. Won't matter whether he's great or not, as long as he's learning. We can't afford to stick him in the 2s to develop, let him learn mainly on the job. Send him to 2s occasionally to consolidate the learning and affirm his talent against lesser players. But his pace, positioning, tank and defensive mindset should keep him in games doing what tasks he's assigned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back